The Soap lady meets the Senator
baby chicks
Angel
Quilted Christmas Stocking
Latest Quilt
Shelter from the storm
A new life
Who's Online
0 Registered (), 194 Guests and 2 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
3239 Members
63 Forums
16332 Topics
210704 Posts

Max Online: 409 @ 01/17/20 03:33 AM
Topic Options
#106192 - 02/03/07 02:19 AM Husband's Birthday
Dee Offline

Loc: Alabama
This is short notice but Sunday is my husband's 55th birthday...his favorite cake is German Chocolate. I want to frost the entire cake and make it 2-3 layers. Anyone have a good recipe?

#106193 - 02/03/07 05:22 AM Re: Husband's Birthday [Re: Dee]
Dancing Dolphin Offline

Loc: Southern California
No, but what time do we eat?

#106194 - 02/03/07 05:44 AM Re: Husband's Birthday [Re: Dancing Dolphin]
Dee Offline

Sunday at 3:00...I expect all of you to be here, forks in the ready!!

#106195 - 02/03/07 08:50 AM Re: Husband's Birthday [Re: Dee]
Edelweiss Offline

Loc: American living in Europe
I belong to a recipe forum...and they voted this as the best of the German Chocolate Cake recipes.
Yummmmmy. My brain is digging in with you! ha ha

INGREDIENTS
4 (1 ounce) squares German sweet chocolate
1/2 cup water
2 cups all-purpose flour
1 teaspoon baking soda
1/4 teaspoon salt
1 cup butter, softened
2 cups white sugar
4 egg yolks
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1 cup buttermilk
4 egg whites

12 fluid ounces evaporated milk
1 1/2 cups white sugar
3/4 cup butter
4 egg yolks
1 1/2 teaspoons vanilla extract
1 (8 ounce) package flaked coconut
1 1/2 cups chopped pecans
DIRECTIONS
Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C). Line bottom of 9x13 pan with parchment paper.
Microwave chocolate and water on high for 1 1/2 to 2 minutes. Stir halfway through. Stir until all is melted and smooth.
In a medium bowl, mix together flour, soda and salt. Set aside.
In a large bowl, cream 1 cup butter and 2 cups sugar until light and fluffy. Add 4 egg yolks one at a time, beating well after each addition. Stir in chocolate and 1 teaspoon vanilla. Add flour mixture alternately with buttermilk. Beat after each addition until smooth.
In a separate bowl, beat egg whites on high until soft peaks form. Gently fold into batter. Pour into 9x13 inch pan.
Bake at 350 degrees F (175 degrees C) for 30 minutes, or until toothpick inserted into center of cake comes out clean. Cool completely, then frost with coconut-pecan frosting.
Combine milk, 1 1/2 cup sugar, 3/4 cup butter, 4 egg yolks and 1 1/2 teaspoons vanilla in large saucepan. Cook and stir on medium heat for about 12 minutes, or until thick and golden brown. Remove from heat. Stir in coconut and pecans. Cool to room temperature, and spreading consistency.

#106196 - 02/03/07 11:34 AM Re: Husband's Birthday [Re: Edelweiss]
Cookie Offline

Loc: USA
That's the same recipe I use too, Hannelore. It is a really good one!! Maybe you already know this, but here is a hint on making the icing. I mix the the egg yolks and milk in the blender to throughly combine, and then add it to the saucepan. Then helps so there isn't little specks of cooked eggs floating around in the icing. Also, when the icing is done cooking, and after I had added the coconut and pecans,I set the icing in a bowl of ice with a little water & stir until thick and cool enough to spread.

#106197 - 02/03/07 04:58 PM Re: Husband's Birthday [Re: Cookie]
Dee Offline

Hannelore...you always come through. thanks so much.

Cookie...thanks for the additional tips. Off to the store to pick up the ingredients. I'll let you know how the cake turns out.

What would I do without you?

NABBW.com | Forum Testimonials | Newsletter Sign Up | View Our Newsletter | Advertise With Us
About the Founder | Media Room | Contact BWS
Resources for Women | Boomer Books | Recent Reads | Boomer Links | Our Voices | Home

Boomer Women Speak
9672 W US Highway 20, Galena, IL 61036 • info@boomerwomenspeak.com • 1-877-BOOMERZ

Boomer Women Speak cannot be held accountable for any personal relationships or meetings face-to-face that develop because of interaction with the forums. In addition, we cannot be held accountable for any information posted in Boomer Women Speak forums.

Boomer Women Speak does not represent or endorse the reliability of any information or offers in connection with advertisements,
articles or other information displayed on our site. Please do your own due diligence when viewing our information.

Privacy PolicyTerms of UseDisclaimer

Copyright 2002-2019 • Boomer Women SpeakBoomerCo Inc. • All rights reserved