The Soap lady meets the Senator
baby chicks
Angel
Quilted Christmas Stocking
Latest Quilt
Shelter from the storm
A new life
Who's Online
0 Registered (), 173 Guests and 1 Spider online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
3239 Members
63 Forums
16332 Topics
210704 Posts

Max Online: 409 @ 01/17/20 03:33 AM
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
#47200 - 09/03/05 04:05 AM Decadent Chocolate Fingers
Eagle Heart Offline

Loc: Canada
My SIL in Sept-Iles Quebec makes these for me everytime we come to visit her. The recipe always looked complicated, but I tried it here at home yesterday and it was so easy. But a kind warning...these are TOO GOOD! Don't blame me if they all get eaten at once.

CHOCOLATE FINGERS
(taken from Canadian Living magazine, December 29, 1993)

INGREDIENTS
BASE:
1 pkg (400g) digestive biscuits (you can substitute 1-3/4 cup graham cracker crumbs)
½ cup finely chopped nuts

½ cup butter
½ cup granulated sugar (my SIL uses Splenda)
½ cup sifted unsweetened cocoa powder

1 Tbsp instant coffee granules
1 Tbsp hot water

2 eggs, beaten
2 tsp vanilla

GLAZE:
1 cup semisweet chocolate chips
2 Tbsp shortening (Crisco seems to work best…butter apparently is not as smooth)

INSTRUCTIONS
Line 8-inch square pan with waxed or parchment paper, leaving enough paper hanging over the edges for easy removal later.

BASE:
1. Using food processor or rolling pin, crush biscuits until in fine crumbs (or save yourself the time and trouble by just using graham cracker crumbs!) Transfer to bowl and add nuts.

2. In saucepan or bowl set over simmering water: melt butter; whisk in sugar and cocoa.

3. Dissolve coffee in water; add to pan and cook over simmering water, whisking for 1 minute or until thickened and sugar is dissolved.

4. Whisk in eggs and vanilla; cook, whisking, for 4-5 minutes or until thickened slightly. Remove from heat.

5. With fork, stir in crumb mixture. Mix well (I use my fingers)

6. Press firmly into prepared pan (lined with wax paper). Cover and refrigerate until cool, about 1 hour.

GLAZE: (don’t prepare this until base is cooled and ready)
1. In saucepan over simmering water, stir chocolate with shortening until melted and smooth.

2. Pour over base, spreading evenly.
3. Cover and refrigerate until set.

4. Using waxed paper as handles, lift square from pan. Cut into small squares or fingers.

5. Keep covered in refrigerator. These will keep for several days - but only if you keep them hidden!

They also freeze well. It's especially delightful if you forget you put them there and then one gloomy day suddenly find them again!

(Per finger: about 175 calories, 2 g protein, 11 g fat, 18 g carbohydrate)

[ January 30, 2006, 08:48 PM: Message edited by: Eagle Heart ]

#47201 - 09/03/05 04:41 PM Re: Decadent Chocolate Fingers
Dotsie Offline
Founder

Loc: Maryland
These sound wonderful. Chocolate and coffee is such a luscious combination. This is the kind of thing I would make for a special occasion. I'll have to keep this one in mind.

Your SIL must love you if she makes these especially for you. What a labor of love.

When the kids were little we bake/cooked all the time. Now I don't seem to have the time to bake as often. I guess it's just as well because everyone is watching what they eat. I guess that's part of growing up. [Roll Eyes]

#47202 - 09/03/05 06:21 PM Re: Decadent Chocolate Fingers
Eagle Heart Offline

This particular SIL is one of my favourite people in the world. Such an amazing kind and loving heart. When she knows we're coming to visit, she makes all our favourite foods, but not just hubby's (her brother), but MINE too! And it's that much more a labour of love when you know that she's gone blind in one eye. I don't know anyone else who does that for me except my best friend Kate!

#47203 - 09/04/05 01:24 AM Re: Decadent Chocolate Fingers
chatty lady Offline
Writer

Loc: Nevada
How fortunate you are to have a wonderful friend/relative like her. I am a bit confused about what a digestive biscuit is. Are they cake biscuits or bread biscuits? This does sound very good and I want to try it just to see but I do eat too much of my own cooking, alas!

#47204 - 09/04/05 01:44 AM Re: Decadent Chocolate Fingers
Eagle Heart Offline

The biscuits she & I used weren't official "digestive", they were a cheaper brand called "Maria". Lot of help that is, since I think it's a Quebec brand. I would describe them as a very basic adult version of arrowroot cookies, or maybe like "social tea" cookies. Does that sound familiar at all? They're the kind I eat when my stomach is queasy (but not soda crackers), like when I'm traveling.

My SIL also said you could use graham cracker crumbs. They're more expensive, but then they're already crushed, so that saves a step. She's never tried them but thinks they'd be just as delicious. I'm thinking of trying them in the next batch.

When I made these the other day, I sent half over to our next door neighbour...single Mom with a chocoholic teenage daughter...she's still raving about them and hinting for more!

Wish I could send you some, Chatty, just to see if you like them. But they'd melt before I even got them to the post office, much less all the way to the deserts of Nevada!

#47205 - 09/05/05 03:38 AM Re: Decadent Chocolate Fingers
chatty lady Offline
Writer

Loc: Nevada
Thanks Eagle Heart I know what you mean now and am going to try the graham crackers. They sound so good. Thanks for the thought anyway and yes they would most certainly melt, would I lick the box clean, darn right I would...lol

#47206 - 09/05/05 06:57 PM Re: Decadent Chocolate Fingers
Dotsie Offline
Founder

Eagle, I'm stepping out here and printing your recipe as we *speak*. I'm having a baby shower in a couple weeks for my niece. This is going to be the new recipe I try. Thanks for sharing. I know it will be a hit. I hope she isn't reading these forums. It will ruin the surprise. [Eek!]

#47207 - 09/06/05 07:11 AM Re: Decadent Chocolate Fingers
Eagle Heart Offline

A couple of nights ago, I woke up at 3am, worried and stressed out about what was happening on this site, as well as the hurricane stuff. I lay in bed trying to calm myself, but to no avail. Then I remembered the chocolate fingers sitting in my fridge. I rarely eat chocolate at night, precisely because of my problems with insomnia. But it was an emergency situation, so I did go downstairs, sat and slowly enjoyed every morsel of that chocolate finger, then went back to bad and fell promptly back to sleep.

So it's not only a great recipe, it also ranks high on the list of emergency supplies!

#47208 - 09/19/05 05:15 PM Re: Decadent Chocolate Fingers
Dotsie Offline
Founder

Eagle, I bought all the ingredients to make these for the shower on Saturday. We had also bought a couple desserts. Guess what? About an hour before the shower I saw the ingredients in the cupboard and realized I hadn't made them. Good grief. Now I'm prepared for the next get-together. I'll let you know when Im ake them. I'm going to use the graham cracker crumb version.

#47209 - 09/19/05 05:34 PM Re: Decadent Chocolate Fingers
Eagle Heart Offline

Dotsie, we had supper at our next-door neighbour's house last night. Hubby's working on her basement, building a room that she can rent out for extra income. The 11-year-old daughter's birthday was Thursday, but she's waiting until the basement's finished before she has her BIG birthday party. And she hinted that she'd REALLY like some chocolate fingers for her party. So I'll try the graham cracker crumb version too when I make her birthday batch. I have to admit that I crave some more of them myself!

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >

NABBW.com | Forum Testimonials | Newsletter Sign Up | View Our Newsletter | Advertise With Us
About the Founder | Media Room | Contact BWS
Resources for Women | Boomer Books | Recent Reads | Boomer Links | Our Voices | Home

Boomer Women Speak
9672 W US Highway 20, Galena, IL 61036 • info@boomerwomenspeak.com • 1-877-BOOMERZ

Boomer Women Speak cannot be held accountable for any personal relationships or meetings face-to-face that develop because of interaction with the forums. In addition, we cannot be held accountable for any information posted in Boomer Women Speak forums.

Boomer Women Speak does not represent or endorse the reliability of any information or offers in connection with advertisements,
articles or other information displayed on our site. Please do your own due diligence when viewing our information.

Privacy PolicyTerms of UseDisclaimer

Copyright 2002-2019 • Boomer Women SpeakBoomerCo Inc. • All rights reserved