Fellow Boomer Writers! Many of you may remember my posting last Fall regarding my attendance at this event in Waynesboro, VA. It was really a fantastic event and I really had a wonderful time meeting other authors and participating on one of the panel discussions. It was my first book-signing and one I will NEVER forget. My good friend author P.M. Terrell - who is a founder and major organizer of the event - and I shared a table and really got to know each other a lot better.

ANYWAY - she has sent out the first press release to the news media for this year's event and I've "cut and pasted" it below for your info. Anyone who CAN make it SHOULD try. It's a good cause and a great chance to meet some wonderful writers. I've already signed up and I know "The Queen" (JJ) has as well. Hope to see many of you there! [Wink]

NEWS RELEASE

AUTHORS NEEDED FOR BOOK ‘EM 2005
The Book ‘Em Foundation, whose slogan is “Buy a Book and Stop a Crook” has begun plans for the Second Annual Book ‘Em Event, and is actively seeking authors who wish to participate in signings and readings. The event will be held on Saturday and Sunday, October 22-23, 2005 in Waynesboro, Virginia.

The event highlights a partnership between law enforcement and the literary community to bring attention to the connection between high illiteracy rates and high crime rates. Proceeds from the sale of books at the event will be used in increasing literacy, reducing crime, and raising public awareness.

Last year’s event attracted 52 authors from all over the world, representing mystery/suspense, romance, children’s books, nonfiction, historical, and other genres. The keynote speaker was Diane Fanning, who traveled to Virginia from Texas to discuss her book, Into the Water. Dirk Robertson, author of Highland T’ing and Bad Day for a Fat Boy, had the distinction of having traveled the furthest to participate in Book ‘Em, traveling to Virginia from Edinburgh, Scotland. Dirk will also be with us for the 2005 event.

Authors will be provided with tables and chairs at no charge. Instead, The Book ‘Em Foundation is asking that at least 40% of the sale of each book be donated to The Book ‘Em Foundation, who will divide the proceeds between the Shenandoah Valley Reading Council, Friends of the Library of Augusta County, Staunton, and Waynesboro, and Central Shenandoah Crime Stoppers.

If an author is unable to attend but would like to contribute, we are accepting autographed books to be sold at the event. To date, we have received donations from best-selling authors David Baldacci, Brad Meltzer, David Morrell, Dave Pelzer, Jeff Shaara, and Scott Turow. A complete list of donations and attending authors can be viewed at www.bookemfoundation.org, as well as pictures and information from last years event.

Book ‘Em has already received a great deal of publicity, including television shows, radio interviews, and newspaper articles. The exposure could be invaluable to authors and their publishers, whether it is for a back listed book or a new release.

For additional information and to download a registration form, go to www.bookemfoundation.org; telephone Officer Mark Kearney of the Waynesboro Police Department at 540-942-6683 or via email at kearneymp@ci.waynesboro.va.us; or contact author p.m.terrell at patricia@pmterrell.com or by telephone at 804-778-7711.