The Soap lady meets the Senator
baby chicks
Angel
Quilted Christmas Stocking
Latest Quilt
Shelter from the storm
A new life
Who's Online
0 Registered (), 193 Guests and 2 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
3239 Members
63 Forums
16332 Topics
210704 Posts

Max Online: 409 @ 01/17/20 03:33 AM
Topic Options
#125229 - 08/09/07 01:25 AM the length of an article
Princess Lenora Offline

Loc: Colorado
Hello friends, I am popping in to ask a question. How long should an article be? In the movie "The Big Chill" Jeff Goldbloom plays a journalist much like a writer for "People" magazine. He says that he does not write anything longer than "people can read during the average crap" (or something vulger but true like that.) Anyway, my question is this: I am often asked why I told, as in "Why did you feel you should tell your story (of childhood sexual abuse) so I am writing an article titled "Why I Told: Revealing the Secret of Incest." Once I start writing, I can go on and on, so I would like some suggestions from you as to how long the article should be. My audience would be ezines, or even an article for NABBW resources section. I'm sorry to pop in just to ask a question, but I promise I will be back. Thank you, L, PL

#125230 - 09/09/07 10:21 PM Re: the length of an article [Re: Princess Lenora]
Lavinia Offline

Loc: Pacific Northwest
I would look at the guidelines for the ezines you are interested in. But above all, I would just write it. Don't worry too much about length, unless you tend to get crazy and write hundreds and thousands of words. I'd say aim for 2,000. I know that's not much but you want to get to the meat of your reasons. Write longer at first if you must. You can always pair down later. Good luck...it sounds like an interesting and needed article. Lots of spin-off ideas too. One I think might occur to others is what are the pros and cons of going public with such a private matter, not really in terms of writing a book about it, but from a regular persons standpoint.

Just a few thoughts,

Karen

My blog is called, "Write Now." You can find it here; http://karenlalaniz.blogspot.com

#125231 - 09/10/07 01:47 AM Re: the length of an article [Re: Lavinia]
Princess Lenora Offline

Hi Lavinia, thanks for the response and welcome to BWS! I'm hearing lately that the buzz word for articles is "Concise."

#125232 - 09/10/07 12:56 PM Re: the length of an article [Re: Princess Lenora]
jawjaw Offline
Da Queen

Loc: Alabama
Most articles requested by magazines are 500 words, and then they are cut, usually. It depends on WHERE you are going to submit it. If its for an ezine, the owner will tell you, but my guess it would be much, much, shorter than 500 words. If it's for a magazine, see above. And, they will have stated guidelines. If its for a site online, there again, they usually have guidelines posted.

MOST...notice I said MOST, articles are no more than 500 words. A few places like a tad more, but most have such limited space, that 500 is usually their span.

If you don't have a place in mind that you want to submit the article, then go ahead and write till you feel that its complete. THEN...when you find a place you want to submit it, read their guidelines, and then adjust accordingly.

Less is more. Make sure you're not using "filler" sentences. This one thing will get you more rejections than anything.

#125233 - 09/11/07 02:38 PM Re: the length of an article [Re: jawjaw]
Dotsie Offline
Founder

Loc: Maryland
Also try bulleting the important parts. Make it pleasing to the eye and easy to read.

#125234 - 09/11/07 02:39 PM Re: the length of an article
Dotsie Offline
Founder

Loc: Maryland
Great title, by the way. Maybe your next book title?

#125235 - 09/12/07 03:04 AM Re: the length of an article
Princess Lenora Offline

That's a short article. book reviews are 300-700 words. What title are you referring to Dotsie? The title of my next book is "Tears of Redemption" and it will be about a family giving forgiveness to one another, and the many ways that forgiveness can appear. It is not about "forgive and forget" rather it is about forgiveness as an activity, as in actions speak louder than words. It is about redemption before death, before it's too late, if and when possible.

#125236 - 09/20/07 05:16 PM Re: the length of an article [Re: Princess Lenora]
hopeclark Offline

Loc: Chapin, SC, USA
Depends on whether you are writing for online or for print. 2,000 words is appropriate for a short story in print. Under 1,000 is appropriate for an online piece. In my 7 1/2 years of preparing FundsforWriters, I've learned in online article production that you lose the reader when you start straying much past 750 words unless the topic is eye-catching and composed such that it keeps the eye moving. Big blocks of copy don't fare well online.
Writer's Digest 101 Best Web Sites for Writers - 2001 through 2007

#125237 - 09/21/07 02:25 AM Re: the length of an article [Re: hopeclark]
Princess Lenora Offline

Hi Hope Clark, thanks for the response. I recently learned that lots of text do not sit well with internet users. I wrote an article today that is 1,000 words and it was comfortable and concise. I can't wait to check out your site!

NABBW.com | Forum Testimonials | Newsletter Sign Up | View Our Newsletter | Advertise With Us
About the Founder | Media Room | Contact BWS
Resources for Women | Boomer Books | Recent Reads | Boomer Links | Our Voices | Home

Boomer Women Speak
9672 W US Highway 20, Galena, IL 61036 • info@boomerwomenspeak.com • 1-877-BOOMERZ

Boomer Women Speak cannot be held accountable for any personal relationships or meetings face-to-face that develop because of interaction with the forums. In addition, we cannot be held accountable for any information posted in Boomer Women Speak forums.

Boomer Women Speak does not represent or endorse the reliability of any information or offers in connection with advertisements,
articles or other information displayed on our site. Please do your own due diligence when viewing our information.

Privacy PolicyTerms of UseDisclaimer

Copyright 2002-2019 • Boomer Women SpeakBoomerCo Inc. • All rights reserved