The Soap lady meets the Senator
baby chicks
Angel
Quilted Christmas Stocking
Latest Quilt
Shelter from the storm
A new life
Who's Online
0 Registered (), 108 Guests and 1 Spider online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
3239 Members
63 Forums
16332 Topics
210704 Posts

Max Online: 409 @ 01/17/20 03:33 AM
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
#39084 - 11/18/04 07:50 PM Permission?
Queen Me Offline

Loc: Oklahoma
Hi Writer Friends!

I have a basic question. I'm now in the process of writing permission to use the work of other authors.

For instance, I'm asking Sela Ward (or rather, her publisher) for permission. How should the letter be addressed?

Dear Ms. Ward (not really going to her)
or, specifically to someone at the publishing house?

Your suggestions greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

#39085 - 11/19/04 08:47 AM Re: Permission?
Vicki M. Taylor Offline

Loc: Tampa, FL
I think if you sent a letter to Ms Ward's agent that the agent could help you take care of getting permission to use a portion of her writing.

Now, how to find out who her agent is. Hmmmm.

#39086 - 11/18/04 09:01 PM Re: Permission?
kira_d Offline

Loc: Mississauga, Ontario Canada
Don't know if this is true but might be worth a phone call...Sela is supposed to be represented by Wm. Morris Agency in LA...310-274-7451

#39087 - 11/18/04 10:00 PM Re: Permission?
Dianne Offline
Queen of Shoes

Loc: Arizona
When I'm contacted for permission, it's my publisher who contacts me. I believe you have to go through the publisher if it's a quote, etc. from a book.

#39088 - 11/18/04 10:22 PM Re: Permission?
Queen Me Offline

Thanks for the feedback.

Okay, based on all the comments, I should write Sela Ward via the publisher. Then, the publisher will turn around and ask Sela for her permission?

Thanks for the help.

#39089 - 11/18/04 10:24 PM Re: Permission?
Queen Me Offline

I has posted this under a different topic and didn't get any responses. Do you mind answering another copyright question?

#####

I've finished with my first draft and am now trying to determine who I need to obtain permission from?

Basically, I've cited numerous authors and their work. From what I can tell it's a very gray area. I've looked at other books (similar to mine) and see that most don't get "official" permission from every author they cite), but sometimes they do. I know it's important to obtain permission for musical lyrics.

Prill Boyle cited information obtained from a website on the subject:

(ii) Prose: (a) Either a complete article, story or essay of less than 2,500 words, or (b) an excerpt from any prose work of not more than 1,000 words or 10% of the work, whichever is less, but in any event a minimum of 500 words.

Prill also shared additional information which basically claimed that "there is no fixed rule here and so therefore don't assume any use of words is 'fair'". And, yet another sentence claims that you can't set apart copyrighted material (such as an epigram, on the cover or in any way that gives the copyrighted work greater prominence).

This is interesting to me because it appears to me that most people "don't" seem to obtain permission on the ones that are isolated quotes and stand apart from the text.

Yikes!

Your thoughts and interpretations greatly appreciated!

#39090 - 11/21/04 04:06 PM Re: Permission?
Kelly L. Adams Stone Offline

Loc: Florida
My (limited) understanding on this matter is that you have to go to the publisher of the book from which you wish to draw the material. I will be in that boat myself if a magazine wants to publish an essay I wrote in which I use quotes from several diferent books.

I get confused a lot of times about this type of legal stuff we writers must deal with. Found a link to a book that looks like it might be helpful, called The Literary Law Guide for Authors:
http://fyosentertainmentllc.goemerchant2.com/

I haven't purchased it yet but probably will do so soon.

Let us know what you find out.

Kelly

#39091 - 11/21/04 04:11 PM Re: Permission?
Kelly L. Adams Stone Offline

Loc: Florida
Another resource I forgot to mention is an organization called Amer. Society for Journalists and Authors. There is an application process and one must have had minimum of 6 PAID publications in order to join, but I think they provide information about contracts and things of this nature to their members. www.asja.org

Kelly

#39092 - 11/21/04 05:12 PM Re: Permission?
smilinize Offline

Loc: outer space
The Writer's Guild might also be helpful. And you might just pick up the phone and call the editor of your local newspaper. He or she might have an answer.

If you ever find out, I hope you'll let us all know.
smile

#39093 - 11/21/04 07:37 PM Re: Permission?
Dotsie Offline
Founder

Loc: Maryland
Queenme, you're a member of NAWW, right? One of their services is corresponding with a law firm for free. I've done it and they were very helpful. Go to www.naww.org. Surf around and I'm sure you'll find it. All you do is e-mail your question and they get back to you within a few days. [Wink]

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >

NABBW.com | Forum Testimonials | Newsletter Sign Up | View Our Newsletter | Advertise With Us
About the Founder | Media Room | Contact BWS
Resources for Women | Boomer Books | Recent Reads | Boomer Links | Our Voices | Home

Boomer Women Speak
9672 W US Highway 20, Galena, IL 61036 • info@boomerwomenspeak.com • 1-877-BOOMERZ

Boomer Women Speak cannot be held accountable for any personal relationships or meetings face-to-face that develop because of interaction with the forums. In addition, we cannot be held accountable for any information posted in Boomer Women Speak forums.

Boomer Women Speak does not represent or endorse the reliability of any information or offers in connection with advertisements,
articles or other information displayed on our site. Please do your own due diligence when viewing our information.

Privacy PolicyTerms of UseDisclaimer

Copyright 2002-2019 • Boomer Women SpeakBoomerCo Inc. • All rights reserved