The Soap lady meets the Senator
baby chicks
Angel
Quilted Christmas Stocking
Latest Quilt
Shelter from the storm
A new life
Who's Online
0 Registered (), 125 Guests and 0 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
3239 Members
63 Forums
16332 Topics
210704 Posts

Max Online: 409 @ 01/17/20 03:33 AM
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#37417 - 12/19/03 04:49 PM non-fiction
Dotsie Offline
Founder

Loc: Maryland
I am in the process of writing a non-fiction book on real estate. I am a realtor. I also have an idea on writing a mystery. I also want to get into freelance. Sandra

#37418 - 12/19/03 05:40 PM Re: non-fiction
Dotsie Offline
Founder

Hey Sandra, stick around, there are several freelancers in here. If you start communicating by e-mail we share good writing sites and other information about freelancing later in life.

Glad you're here.

Your real estate book sounds interesting. Tell us more. IS it a how-to book or what?

#37419 - 12/19/03 07:04 PM Re: non-fiction
smilinize Offline

Loc: outer space
Glad to see your post Dotsie. Maybe the boomer writers on here can help me out too.

You see, I wrote a lot as a young person and published pretty much everything I submitted. At thirty something I decided to pursue a graduate degree. I started out for an MBA and was so bored that I changed to Creative Writing.

I got the degree, but in the thesis process I pretty much lost all confidence. My thesis was a play that got a financial backer from a preview and was performed to packed houses around the Southwest and was on radio and local TV, but the professors tore it, and me, apart.

I've written quite a bit since then, but can't seem to submit anything that has not been commissioned or somehow requested first. I can't seem to stop editing (Even my posts on here are almost always edited at least once and that's after repeated edits before posting)

Several years ago I wrote a novel about a divorced middle aged woman who becomes involved with a much younger man. He turns out to be an addict, but they travel cross country together in a classic red Jaguar convertible encountering adventures and developing a relationship along the way. It's kind of funny and also pretty sad and sometimes frightening, but it ends with hope. I call it a mid life coming of age story.

Anyway, I can't seem to send it off. I try, but I just keep editing and it never goes anywhere. Maybe it's just now ready.

How do you stop editing and risk rejection?

HELP!

smile

#37420 - 12/19/03 07:25 PM Re: non-fiction
jawjaw Offline
Da Queen

Loc: Alabama
Janiskan,
I think you need to quit thinking in terms of rejections being a bad thing. Every writer gets them. Heck, I've even gotten one. But the thing is, they can be constructive. If you get one, look to see what you might have missed in your work, something the editor may point out, or use the rejection itself as fuel to move forward.

The REAL trick is to experience life in ALL matters, in everything it has to offer...not dream about what COULD have been.

Submit your work. If it comes back, submit it again...and again...and again...

#37421 - 12/19/03 07:32 PM Re: non-fiction
jawjaw Offline
Da Queen

Loc: Alabama
p.s. On the editing thing. If you can afford to, hire an editor to do the work for you...then TRUST this person to do a thorough job and also teach yourself that this is no longer your sole responsibility.

If you can't afforad to hire one, then ask your friends or family members if there is someone they know who might swap out time or some other kind of effort for editing services.

I'm sorry for the short answers, but I am on a laptop while my REAL grown up computer is in the hospital, forgive...

#37422 - 12/19/03 07:47 PM Re: non-fiction
Dotsie Offline
Founder

Hi again: My book is about getting into real estate. The what you have to do and what comes after you get past the real estate exam. I like being a realtor but it's not easy. If you have any questions about buying or selling a house, maybe I can help. Sandra

#37423 - 12/20/03 08:17 AM Re: non-fiction
smilinize Offline

Thanks Jawjaw. I've had the book edited, but did some rewriting and may need it again. Probably what I really need is send it out as is and let some publisher tell me what to do. Or maybe I need an agent. Or all of the above. Just frozen by dread or something here.

I'm working on it though.

Good luck spoiled. How far along on either of the books are you?

[ December 19, 2003, 12:18 PM: Message edited by: smilinize ]

#37424 - 12/19/03 11:48 PM Re: non-fiction
Dotsie Offline
Founder

Smilin, editing is good. Just depends on your perpective about it. If you think of it as work and correcting mistakes, it stinks! But, if you think of it as being creative and making your work better, it's inspiring. [Big Grin]

Writing is all about rewriting.

There are times I look at things I wrote weeks ago and think, what the heck is that? [Eek!] Did I write that? [Confused]

Every time we sit with our words we come with more; more thoughts, life experiences, insight, wisdom, etc. That's why I think rewriting makes our work perfect.

I agree with Jawjaw about having others read our work. It's surprising what another mind can do with our words. Often others help you to see what needs to be clearer, more precise, funnier, less preachy, shorter, more descriptive, etc.

I have a friend who has written a novel and has been shopping publishers for two years. During that time she has taken writing classes and had others critique her book. She has gladly made many changes because they have revealed facets of her book that she wasn't aware needed changing.

And about the rejection thing...can't take it too personally. Hear what they have to say, see how it pertains to your reflections, make changes(or not), and move on.

Please read the November contest posts in the forums. I posted them because I wanted everyone to read them and see that they may very well have chosen a different winner. In many cases it's not about poor writing. It's ALL about how the writing CLICKS with the agent, editor, or publisher. So when we submit we must be sure we are giving them exactly what they are looking for.

I've received some awesome stories for my book, (written by published authors) but they just don't fit in a chapter, or they read like sermons, or are very similar to ones I've already accepted, so I have to reject them.

I've also accepted a couple that were great stories, but perhaps not written as well. That's why there are editors. If writers are willing to work with editors, it makes getting published easier. Some writers aren't willing to change much and that's why they don't get published. I guess that's where self-publishing comes in.

If we are freelancing and submitting to magazines and anthologies we have to be willing to work with others because sometimes there is part of the story that's perfect but may need a different ending in order to be a perfect article for a chapter or magazine.

I've rambled! I know I'll read this in a couple weeks and thikn...what the heck?

For the record...I don't edit these posts. I just write and rarely rewrite. [Eek!]

#37425 - 12/20/03 04:31 AM Re: non-fiction
smilinize Offline

Thank you dotsie for the excellent advice. I am a member of a writing group and I really think that is helpful. We get together almost weekly to read our material aloud for critique and suggestions.

I may have taken too many suggestions by now though. I keep making changes and I'm not sure they are all good. My daughter read it and said the stuff I wrote in the beginning unedited was the best. I'm simply confused. I no longer know what is good and what is bad.

I started out with something to say (pretty much that the adventures aren't over at middle age) and it just said itself. Then I began to edit. The story line hasn't changed. Just the language and the timing. Seems like every time I go to a writing workshop I come home and rewrite it again. Maybe I just need to go on to something else.

Gee, it's so frustrating. Why do we do it? I begin to think about it and just get overloaded with ideas and give up.

Thanks for the encouragement.

smile

#37426 - 12/20/03 05:31 AM Re: non-fiction
meredithbead Offline
The Divine Ms M

Loc: Orange County, California
From the woman who edits EVERYTHING: it's possible to edit so much, you bleed the writing dry. Maybe the way to get over your "publishing phobia" is to first send out excerpts to be published, like part of a chapter.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

NABBW.com | Forum Testimonials | Newsletter Sign Up | View Our Newsletter | Advertise With Us
About the Founder | Media Room | Contact BWS
Resources for Women | Boomer Books | Recent Reads | Boomer Links | Our Voices | Home

Boomer Women Speak
9672 W US Highway 20, Galena, IL 61036 • info@boomerwomenspeak.com • 1-877-BOOMERZ

Boomer Women Speak cannot be held accountable for any personal relationships or meetings face-to-face that develop because of interaction with the forums. In addition, we cannot be held accountable for any information posted in Boomer Women Speak forums.

Boomer Women Speak does not represent or endorse the reliability of any information or offers in connection with advertisements,
articles or other information displayed on our site. Please do your own due diligence when viewing our information.

Privacy PolicyTerms of UseDisclaimer

Copyright 2002-2019 • Boomer Women SpeakBoomerCo Inc. • All rights reserved