The Soap lady meets the Senator
baby chicks
Angel
Quilted Christmas Stocking
Latest Quilt
Shelter from the storm
A new life
Who's Online
0 Registered (), 74 Guests and 0 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
3239 Members
63 Forums
16332 Topics
210704 Posts

Max Online: 409 @ 01/17/20 03:33 AM
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#40888 - 03/05/06 09:13 PM Ten Tips on Creativity for Writers
Emily Hanlon Offline

Loc: Yorktown Heights, NY
Hi,
I'm Emily Hanlon, novelist and writing and creativity coach. I've just joined Boomer Women and want to introduce myself with my Ten Tips on Creativity for Writers.

I have seven works of fiction published (from picture books to adult novels) and a work book on fiction writing called The Art of Fiction Writing

I have an interactive website with lots of articles, prompts and exercises called The Fiction Writer's Journey and lead weekly, weekend and weeklong workshops on writing and creativity.

My next weekend workshop is, Creativity, the Journey Home and is being held at Wisdom House in Litchfield, CT April 21-23, 2006.

My big event every year is my Writing, Creativity and Ritual: A Retreat for Women This year the retreat is going to Costa Rica, Sept. 24-Oct. 6.

Ten Tips on Creativity

1. Don’t think. Creating a story or book has little to do with the intellect or language when we first begin. Our best ideas will emerge as a spark or image. Like dreams, they will make little sense. Followed, they will hold the key to the creative unconscious.

2. Creativity is cyclical. You cannot and will not be creative all the time. What is full must empty and what is empty will fill. Creativity has its own internal rhythms. Learn to listen to yours.

3. Nothing kills creativity faster than criticism. Don’t share your work-in-progress with people who are critical or those whose opinions leave you vulnerable, no matter how much you love them. Good critiquing should leave you inspired, not deflated.

4. Spend time getting to distinguish the voice of your Inner Critic from your creative self. The Inner Critic is not comfortable with the risks demanded by a creative endeavor. By becoming aware of the foul jabber of your inner critic, you can see how your own mind puts up roadblocks to your creativity.

5. Being a creator is risky business. Don’t underestimate the tremendous emotional and psychic risks the journey demands. Learn to push ahead even when you are afraid. Learn to love the risk.

6. Don’t be afraid to fail. Every successful creator has failed hundreds of times. Failure is an integral part of creativity. It doesn’t mean you’re wrong or stupid. It only means you’ve uncovered a path or technique that does not work.

7. Don’t be afraid to write garbage. Every successful writer writes mounds of garbage. Give your work time to percolate. Play the What If game. For example, if you’re writing fiction and a characters is sweet and loving and you’re stuck, have the character mean and hateful. In the world of the imagination, anything can happen.

8. Nurture your creativity. It is as fragile as a budding flower. Open to the dance. Listen to music that makes you feel like flying. Go for a walk. Laugh with a friend, child or lover. Creativity is about feeling.

9. Be passionate. Creativity is passionate. Passion is always creative.

10. Learn your craft. And write, write, write! The more you write, the better you will get. Discipline yourself. Successful writers are disciplined writers.

©Ten Tips on Creativity (sm), Emily Hanlon 1995-2006.

Ten Tips on Creativitysm may be be copied and used on other websites. Credit must be given to Emily Hanlon with a link back to her website: www.thefictionwritersjourney.com

My email is emily@emilyhanlon.com
I'm looking forward to this forum!

#40889 - 03/05/06 09:22 PM Re: Ten Tips on Creativity for Writers
chickadee Offline

Loc: Alabama
Emily, welcome to the site. You are indeed a busy woman. Thank you for posting your 10 tips. They are quite interesting...number 2, Creativity is cyclical is difficult to accept sometimes, for me.
Costa Rica, Sept. 24-Oct. 6 sounds like a happening place. I just wish I could make it. Then, who knows?
chick

#40890 - 03/05/06 09:27 PM Re: Ten Tips on Creativity for Writers
Emily Hanlon Offline

Thanks for responding to my Ten Tips!

I very much like your signature. Inspires me to add one myself!

Emily

#40891 - 03/05/06 09:38 PM Re: Ten Tips on Creativity for Writers
Pam Kimmell Offline

Loc: Warrenton, Virginia
Welcome Emily! I love your "Ten Tips" - as a writer and artist, I know that this advice you've given is applicable to just about ANY artistic/creative endeavor. Thanks for spelling it all out for us!

You are going to enjoy the Boomer forum and I'm sure we will all learn something from each other as we journey down the road of creativity together.

#40892 - 03/05/06 09:43 PM Re: Ten Tips on Creativity for Writers
Emily Hanlon Offline

ps

Hi Pam
Just wanted to say best of luck on your book.
Also, I want to invite you to join The Fiction Writers Journey. If you would like to, just send me an email and I'll be happy to add you to my list.

on the journey,
Emily

#40893 - 03/05/06 11:57 PM Re: Ten Tips on Creativity for Writers
Evie Offline

Loc: Nipigon, Ontario Canada
Welcome Emily and thanks for the Ten Tips!

I've been exploring creativity a lot lately so this is timely indeed. I think I'm on the upswing part of the creative cycle at the moment [Smile]

#40894 - 03/06/06 04:12 AM Re: Ten Tips on Creativity for Writers
Songbird Offline

Loc: Massachusetts, USA
Emily, thanks for the Ten Tips. Great, inspiring tips. Hope you enjoy this forum!!

#40895 - 03/06/06 04:21 AM Re: Ten Tips on Creativity for Writers
Pam Kimmell Offline

Loc: Warrenton, Virginia
Thanks Emily - I sent you an email.....

#40896 - 03/06/06 04:46 AM Re: Ten Tips on Creativity for Writers
chatty lady Offline
Writer

Loc: Nevada
Love these inspiring 10 tips and am copying them to read to my writers group, hope you don't mind. I will give you full credit. Thanks so much...

#40897 - 03/06/06 05:15 AM Re: Ten Tips on Creativity for Writers
Emily Hanlon Offline

Thanks for the feed back. I am very glad you like the Ten Tips.
Check out my website and pass it onto your writing group. Let me know if you'd like to be on the email list of The Fiction Writers Journey.
Thanks again.
On the journey.
Emily

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

NABBW.com | Forum Testimonials | Newsletter Sign Up | View Our Newsletter | Advertise With Us
About the Founder | Media Room | Contact BWS
Resources for Women | Boomer Books | Recent Reads | Boomer Links | Our Voices | Home

Boomer Women Speak
9672 W US Highway 20, Galena, IL 61036 • info@boomerwomenspeak.com • 1-877-BOOMERZ

Boomer Women Speak cannot be held accountable for any personal relationships or meetings face-to-face that develop because of interaction with the forums. In addition, we cannot be held accountable for any information posted in Boomer Women Speak forums.

Boomer Women Speak does not represent or endorse the reliability of any information or offers in connection with advertisements,
articles or other information displayed on our site. Please do your own due diligence when viewing our information.

Privacy PolicyTerms of UseDisclaimer

Copyright 2002-2019 • Boomer Women SpeakBoomerCo Inc. • All rights reserved