The Soap lady meets the Senator
baby chicks
Angel
Quilted Christmas Stocking
Latest Quilt
Shelter from the storm
A new life
Who's Online
0 Registered (), 198 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
3239 Members
63 Forums
16332 Topics
210704 Posts

Max Online: 409 @ 01/17/20 03:33 AM
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#159939 - 09/15/08 09:50 PM Genealogy
Di Offline

Loc: NM, transplant from NJ
Does anyone else enjoy doing family research?

You just never know who might be related to whom.

Just the other day, friends of ours mentioned his grandmother's surname. That surname was the same of a girl with whom I went to high school. We are researching to see if the spelling is the same. Both lines have red hair!

For the last 10 years, I've done some major research. Found cousins, 2nd and 3rd cousins I never knew existed. Even relatives of my deceased (since 1941) grandmother have shown up.

Rootsweb.com is the place to go if you are looking. It is so rewarding....and the thrill of the hunt constantly intrigues me!

My husband even made a DVD for his kids of their family trees.

#159961 - 09/16/08 12:17 AM Re: Genealogy [Re: Di]
jawjaw Offline
Da Queen

Loc: Alabama
I've done both sides of our family and it took me about two years, each. I loved doing it, but I found that I became obsessed with it and did nothing else...I have that type of personality. I overdo...

#159965 - 09/16/08 12:24 AM Re: Genealogy [Re: jawjaw]
Di Offline

Oh yeah.....I was obsessed, too, JJ. Once I found my great uncle/aunt that my mother never knew, it fizzled out.

My grandmother died at age 27 when Mom was 17. There was never any talk of her....we often went to her grave, but Mom never talked of her at all. We just "knew" about her...and had ONE photo.

When I spoke to her sister, she barely remembered her.

Do you have any interesting stories to share??

#159981 - 09/16/08 01:32 AM Re: Genealogy [Re: Di]
chatty lady Offline
Writer

Loc: Nevada
Am I reading tht right Di, your mom was 17 when her mother died at age 27????

http://charleen-micheles.blogspot.com/

#159986 - 09/16/08 01:59 AM Re: Genealogy [Re: chatty lady]
Di Offline

No, my mother was 10 when HER mother died at age 27!!

BIG oopsy!!!!

#159998 - 09/16/08 08:31 AM Re: Genealogy [Re: Di]
Mountain Ash Offline

My daughter is researching her family tree...so I watch with interest.She started with her Daddy's side first...and still
I am excited.Cant wait till its my clans turn..
Like being a detective.
Mountain ash

#160009 - 09/16/08 01:01 PM Re: Genealogy [Re: Mountain Ash]
Cookie Offline

Loc: USA
I have researched my family tree for years. I think I was about 23 years old when I first started the search. After many years of research, I had accumulated tons of information, pictures, documents, stories and much more. I decided about 10 years ago to make a book with all the information that I currently had. It is hard to decide to know when to find a temporary stopping point when one is doing family research. It never ends. It's true, it does become an obsession. It took me about 6 months or better to organize the book and it is about 200 pages. It's a very rewarding experience. I still continue to add new information, pictures, stories, or whatever that I think would help give a glimpse of the past generations to the future generations of my family.

#160011 - 09/16/08 01:23 PM Re: Genealogy [Re: Cookie]
Edelweiss2 Offline

Loc: American living in Germany
Cookie, how many past generations have you discovered? 200 pages of information is quite an accomplishment. Wish you could post some old picture. What is the oldest one you have come across?

When I was 26 years old, an aunt told me that my father was adopted. I was floored. My brother and I had no idea. I wish he had told us. It would have been interesting to delve into his side of the family. He used to call me his little gipsy. Hmmm I wonder. ... Hush fantasy; you're running away with me.

#160038 - 09/16/08 05:33 PM Re: Genealogy [Re: Edelweiss2]
Cookie Offline

Loc: USA
EW, I have discovered 3 generations past my grandfather. My great-great-great grandparents were born abt.1810 in Hannover, Germany. I also have some names of some brothers of that grandfather that were born in the 1700's also. I do have other names/dates that go back a bit further, but haven't been able to connect them to my direct family line. That's about as far back as I have gotten thus far. It all makes me dizzy sometimes trying to piece it together accurately. One of the oldest pictures I have is of my great grandparents and a wedding picture of a great great uncle. I have pictures of my great great great's tombstones and many others. I also have many legal documents. I feel I have a vast amount of information and details of my direct family line. I am fortunate because I grew up knowing many of my ancestors. They had stories to tell. I listened...and I wrote down what they told me. Some of the stories are amazing....I think so anyway. smile

#160045 - 09/16/08 07:21 PM Re: Genealogy [Re: Cookie]
Edelweiss2 Offline

Loc: American living in Germany
I was wondeing if you see family resemblences that far down the line?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

NABBW.com | Forum Testimonials | Newsletter Sign Up | View Our Newsletter | Advertise With Us
About the Founder | Media Room | Contact BWS
Resources for Women | Boomer Books | Recent Reads | Boomer Links | Our Voices | Home

Boomer Women Speak
9672 W US Highway 20, Galena, IL 61036 • info@boomerwomenspeak.com • 1-877-BOOMERZ

Boomer Women Speak cannot be held accountable for any personal relationships or meetings face-to-face that develop because of interaction with the forums. In addition, we cannot be held accountable for any information posted in Boomer Women Speak forums.

Boomer Women Speak does not represent or endorse the reliability of any information or offers in connection with advertisements,
articles or other information displayed on our site. Please do your own due diligence when viewing our information.

Privacy PolicyTerms of UseDisclaimer

Copyright 2002-2019 • Boomer Women SpeakBoomerCo Inc. • All rights reserved