The Soap lady meets the Senator
baby chicks
Angel
Quilted Christmas Stocking
Latest Quilt
Shelter from the storm
A new life
Who's Online
0 Registered (), 194 Guests and 2 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
3239 Members
63 Forums
16332 Topics
210704 Posts

Max Online: 409 @ 01/17/20 03:33 AM
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#154502 - 07/24/08 11:30 PM Sitting Habits While Browsing BWS
Eagle Heart Offline

Loc: Canada
Perhaps a strange topic, but thought it could lead places. I was just wondering how everyone else sits while browsing on the computer. We have an old well-used stenographer's chair on wheels. I've noticed recently (because of knee and leg pain) that I always sit with my ankles intricately entwined around each other and toes in very weird positions. I have to constantly untangle them and try to sit with both feet flat on the floor.

What about others?

(Maya Angelou)

#154503 - 07/25/08 12:18 AM Re: Sitting Habits While Browsing BWS [Re: Eagle Heart]
Lola Offline

Loc: London UK
Very strange indeed, Eagle Heart. It's like one of those phone calls from girlfriends that start of with: "whaddyaduin"

I seem to have been in front of the computer for most of today as I was working from home. I cannot put my feet up in the office but, can manage to do that at home. I have changed into my pajamas though so, that's what I look like right now while pounding away. Too hot for a dressing gown but, unless Dee invites Larry over, I might have to put it on.

I have the regular computer chair with good lumbar support although I have got to have an ottoman under my desk to put my legs on. I've dangled them long enough today.

What do you mean toes in every direction? All ten of them in different ways?

#154504 - 07/25/08 01:38 AM Re: Sitting Habits While Browsing BWS [Re: Lola]
chatty lady Offline
Writer

Loc: Nevada
Great topic Eagle... I have a high back leather executive office chair, but I too usually put one foot behind the other at the ankle or rest one foot up on my toes. I use to get a cramp so I tried this and it works great...Every hour I jump up and run down the long hallway and around the kitchen. I use a kitchen timer set for every hour. I also wriggle and stretch my toes alot at night while in my recliner, feet up, crocheting and watching TV... Since I've done this, no more leg or foot pain.

http://charleen-micheles.blogspot.com/

#154505 - 07/25/08 01:52 AM Re: Sitting Habits While Browsing BWS [Re: chatty lady]
Princess Lenora Offline

Loc: Colorado
I have to be in a rocking chair. I am in a rocker recliner, left leg over the left arm of the chair, right leg cross wise in the chair. I have never NOT been in a rocking chair while at BWS. My other habit is the eating of the ice cream straight from carton while at BWS. I can consume many calories without realizing it. Plus I get too involved in reading so I get lazy and don't want to get up to put the carton away. At work, I have a box under my desk to put my feet on.

#154506 - 07/25/08 02:57 AM Re: Sitting Habits While Browsing BWS [Re: Princess Lenora]
meredithbead Offline
The Divine Ms M

Loc: Orange County, California
heavy wooden chair with a zebra chair pad. My feet are on the shelf (where the E-drive sits) under the computer desk.

Poet and essayist

#154507 - 07/25/08 03:29 AM Re: Sitting Habits While Browsing BWS [Re: Eagle Heart]
orchid Offline

Loc: British Columbia, Canada
I'm sitting in a 15 yr. old computer desk chair with an adjustable back with rollaway caster wheel-feet. it is adjustable in height ..which I found handy for...oil painting when seated before a large easel. It does not have arm rests. I deliberately chose one with this criteria...it comes from learning about computer ergonomics at a session by a ergonimist at session during a library conference that I attended. he came from the national Canadian Occupational health and Safety Directorate...a non-profit organization.

He gave many excellent tips in chair selection, height of computer screen, keyboard, hand positioning on mouse, etc.

That session provided very useful for myself personally ..and also professionally since I have managed several libraries where I had to be concerned about departmental employees who spent long days in front of the computer.

usually I just sit simply in the chair at home in front of computer. After all, I currently have a job where 80% of my time is in front of the computer.

I don't have my own laptop and try to avoid. I find their ergonomics gives me pains all over... The thought having the laptop propped in my lap/on coffee table..pains me abit. Literally. I've tried it by borrowing laptop from work...

#154508 - 07/25/08 06:53 AM Re: Sitting Habits While Browsing BWS [Re: orchid]
ladyjane Offline

Loc: Southern Maine, USA
Actually, I find it fascinating how people sit, think and type here at BWS. I'm at work now in the wee hours so am at a typical desk in the clinical work area. At home, I sit in a well worn office chair at a wooden desk. I generally jump into a chair with my right leg under me....funny we should be talking about this now! My right leg has been quite uncomfortable recently and I have a hunch it's from sitting like a kid for all these years....woe is me, yet another sign of my age.

#154509 - 07/25/08 07:50 AM Re: Sitting Habits While Browsing BWS [Re: ladyjane]
diamond50 Offline

Loc: Honolulu, Hawaii
Sitting in a comfy office chair at home, and I spin around in it if
a page takes more than 2 seconds to load.

#154510 - 07/25/08 09:45 AM Re: Sitting Habits While Browsing BWS [Re: diamond50]
Mountain Ash Offline

I ive in a cottage (cottarhouse) with extention and attic rooms.Short on cupboards these people in 1845 worked on farms subsided by keeping hens and a pig hence a large garden.They had few possessions.People had a chest (kist) kept under the beds.
So I use space well.A cabinet maker build a shelve under a window sill with a retractable desk for this laptop.I sit beside this in a very comfortable armchair.Turn a little and hey presto my computer is at hand.Is my right hand.When not in use it tidily goes back.Some times even with feet on a footstool.We do have a work /sewing room with the main computer when I have long work to attend to.
Mountain ash

#154511 - 07/25/08 11:34 AM Re: Sitting Habits While Browsing BWS [Re: Mountain Ash]
Anno Offline

Loc: Minneapolis Minnesota
I sit almost anywhere and drag my laptop around. My favorite spot is an oversized chair, coffee cup resting on the arm (yes, the chair is very stained) and my feet up on the ottoman. When the computer gets a bit to warm, or I need a refill, it sits on the ottoman waiting patiently for me to return.

Eagle, try yoga toes. (google it) I swear by my yoga toes after I have been on my feet all day in heels.

http://www.multiplesystematrophyandshy-drager.blogspot.com

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

NABBW.com | Forum Testimonials | Newsletter Sign Up | View Our Newsletter | Advertise With Us
About the Founder | Media Room | Contact BWS
Resources for Women | Boomer Books | Recent Reads | Boomer Links | Our Voices | Home

Boomer Women Speak
9672 W US Highway 20, Galena, IL 61036 • info@boomerwomenspeak.com • 1-877-BOOMERZ

Boomer Women Speak cannot be held accountable for any personal relationships or meetings face-to-face that develop because of interaction with the forums. In addition, we cannot be held accountable for any information posted in Boomer Women Speak forums.

Boomer Women Speak does not represent or endorse the reliability of any information or offers in connection with advertisements,
articles or other information displayed on our site. Please do your own due diligence when viewing our information.

Privacy PolicyTerms of UseDisclaimer

Copyright 2002-2019 • Boomer Women SpeakBoomerCo Inc. • All rights reserved