The Soap lady meets the Senator
baby chicks
Angel
Quilted Christmas Stocking
Latest Quilt
Shelter from the storm
A new life
Who's Online
0 Registered (), 128 Guests and 2 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
3239 Members
63 Forums
16332 Topics
210704 Posts

Max Online: 409 @ 01/17/20 03:33 AM
Topic Options
#145218 - 03/23/08 01:11 AM Hannelore, more German contact in life..
orchid Offline

Loc: British Columbia, Canada
Well, we now have a German student working in our dept. Seems to be working well and she's highly motivated to ramp up her English language skills. I had no idea that university education for Germans...was free.

Then this fall, one of my partner's cousins and his wife will be visiting us from Frankfurt. I met them 16 yrs. ago when they first visited us...in a different part of Canada. They are plotting to tour western Canada.

#145219 - 03/23/08 06:54 PM Re: Hannelore, more German contact in life.. [Re: orchid]
Edelweiss Offline

Loc: American living in Europe
Orchid, when we were in Vancouver last year, I think we met just German tourists at the camp grounds. Germans are enthusiastic travellers.

Do you know I have learned more about America from German TV then I have when living in America? We decided to travel to Vancouver because of a program we saw on TV here. They have several travel channels, which we love to watch.

I visited once a Michael Moore speech when he was here about five years ago. He started off the speech by saying how crazy Germans are to want to copy America. " You all have free Universities!" he yelled. “Don't ever take that for granted.” How right he was.

#145220 - 03/23/08 08:16 PM Re: Hannelore, more German contact in life.. [Re: Edelweiss]
orchid Offline

Loc: British Columbia, Canada
Quote:

. Germans are enthusiastic travellers.

Do you know I have learned more about America from German TV then I have when living in America? We decided to travel to Vancouver because of a program we saw on TV here. They have several travel channels, which we love to watch.

I visited once a Michael Moore speech when he was here about five years ago. He started off the speech by saying how crazy Germans are to want to copy America. " You all have free Universities!" he yelled. “Don't ever take that for granted.” How right he was.

I'm certain there are pros and cons of free university ed. in Germany for Germans.

One thing for certain, German tourists love the huge slabs of fresh salmon, cooked simply to showcase it. Presumably their interest in Rocky Mountain wildlife is driven by the reality that there isn't much big wildlife left in Germany?

#145221 - 03/24/08 03:29 PM Re: Hannelore, more German contact in life.. [Re: orchid]
Edelweiss Offline

Loc: American living in Europe
We don’t have any bears or wolves in Germany, ( at least no four legged ones). Actually I was a little up tight playing golf on Vancouver Island, after reading all the warning signs about bears. I imagined sticking my 9 iron golf club up between his jaws, cause I am not a fast runner. I don’t mind living in a bare free country. Hahaha…of course I mean bear free.

As for pros and cons of free universities: there are only pros and no cons. Everyone has a chance to study no matter how small his /her wallet is. It’s all done on tax currency. And our taxes aren’t higher than in America. That drives my brother crazy; especially now where he has to pay huge tuition sums starting next year.

NABBW.com | Forum Testimonials | Newsletter Sign Up | View Our Newsletter | Advertise With Us
About the Founder | Media Room | Contact BWS
Resources for Women | Boomer Books | Recent Reads | Boomer Links | Our Voices | Home

Boomer Women Speak
9672 W US Highway 20, Galena, IL 61036 • info@boomerwomenspeak.com • 1-877-BOOMERZ

Boomer Women Speak cannot be held accountable for any personal relationships or meetings face-to-face that develop because of interaction with the forums. In addition, we cannot be held accountable for any information posted in Boomer Women Speak forums.

Boomer Women Speak does not represent or endorse the reliability of any information or offers in connection with advertisements,
articles or other information displayed on our site. Please do your own due diligence when viewing our information.

Privacy PolicyTerms of UseDisclaimer

Copyright 2002-2019 • Boomer Women SpeakBoomerCo Inc. • All rights reserved