The Soap lady meets the Senator
baby chicks
Angel
Quilted Christmas Stocking
Latest Quilt
Shelter from the storm
A new life
Who's Online
0 Registered (), 105 Guests and 0 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
3239 Members
63 Forums
16332 Topics
210704 Posts

Max Online: 409 @ 01/17/20 03:33 AM
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#197696 - 01/14/10 12:38 AM Want to stop BCP: am I doomed to hair loss etc?
cara Offline

Loc: PA
Hi. I'm 53, have been on the BCP (mostly Ortho-tricyclen) for almost 11 yrs now, and want to go off of it. I'm not in menopause (according to dr's test at last annual last May), but I'm surely heading there--at least it feels like it! Peri, for sure! Anyway, I just don't want to be on the pill anymore--and don't need to be, as I'm not exactly doing the horizontal boogie on a regular basis smile...my concerns about being on the pill are like many others' concerns about health issues they may cause. So the question: after researching just how to go off of them (cold turkey? slow transition? switch to lower-dose?), I'm reading many stories about women who've experienced hair loss after stopping (though most women were younger, I'm not sure that matters...). Considering that hair loss can also occur concurrently WITH menopause, I'm naturally worried and want to protect my very long (hip-length) hair. So I'm wondering if you can share your experiences with me along these lines--I'm sure I can't be the only concerned woman in her early 50s who's wanting OFF the pills. Oh, one more thing...As a part of my research, I've noticed many articles indicating natural ways to keep hair healthy during/after hair loss--such as evening primrose oil, saw palmetto, horsetail, b complex (which I now take anyway, for stress), red clover, and dong quai--all except b complex apparently has estrogenic properties. And, of course, soy. So that's it. Feedback, advice, kind words, moral support, from my online friends...is absolutely appreciated. Thank you...

#197791 - 01/14/10 01:34 PM Re: Want to stop BCP: am I doomed to hair loss etc? [Re: cara]
chatty lady Offline
Writer

Loc: Nevada
Cara, I have been in and out of menopause and haven't lost any hair to speak of besides the normal amount. Not all women lose their hair. In fact I would say most do not. It thins some as we grow older but even that is minimal usually

http://charleen-micheles.blogspot.com/

#198328 - 01/22/10 03:25 PM Re: Want to stop BCP: am I doomed to hair loss etc? [Re: chatty lady]
jabber Offline

Loc: New York State
Cara,
Someone here recommended the use of "Chi" hair products.
I've been using Chi since that recommendation and feel it really helps renew and revitalize one's hair. I use "Chi" Olive, nutrient therapy, Silk Oil; Volume Booster, spray; Nourish intense, hair masque; infra gel, setting lotion; and infra shampoo. I like the results!

#198331 - 01/22/10 03:30 PM Re: Want to stop BCP: am I doomed to hair loss etc? [Re: jabber]
jawjaw Offline
Da Queen

Loc: Alabama
I would recommend talking to a nutritionist and finding out what vitamins you might want/need. Sometimes hair loss can be attributed to lack of vitamins, not menopause and then again, sometimes it is just aging. For whatever reason, taking vitamins can not only make you feel better as you age, but it can also "possibly" prevent certain things, maybe hair loss. I'm not an expert and don't play one on TV...I do know that I was experiencing some...but after I started a regular vitamin routine, it stopped. Coincidence?

#198389 - 01/23/10 02:40 PM Re: Want to stop BCP: am I doomed to hair loss etc? [Re: jawjaw]
jabber Offline

Good advice, jj. I take vitamins daily, too. I don't play a
doctor or have their credentials, either!

#198427 - 01/24/10 01:04 AM Re: Want to stop BCP: am I doomed to hair loss etc? [Re: jabber]
chatty lady Offline
Writer

No coincidence JJ! MY 89 year old mother, and I am are avid vitamin takers and believe thats the reason for our good health, and smooth wrinkle free skin. The vitamin usually found lacking in women losing their hair is vitamin D and they should also take Evening Primrose oil caps...

#198439 - 01/24/10 02:21 PM Re: Want to stop BCP: am I doomed to hair loss etc? [Re: chatty lady]
jabber Offline

Evening Primrose oil caps, hey? I'll have to look into that!

#199190 - 02/05/10 11:50 PM Re: Want to stop BCP: am I doomed to hair loss etc? [Re: jabber]
chatty lady Offline
Writer

Its best to take an Evening Primrose cap with a Vitamin E, 400mg.
capsule, they work well together.

#199712 - 02/16/10 03:44 PM Re: Want to stop BCP: am I doomed to hair loss etc? [Re: chatty lady]
Dee Offline

Loc: Alabama
I wish I could take vitamins...but, they make me constipated and it's just not worth what I go through taking them.

#199718 - 02/16/10 04:40 PM Re: Want to stop BCP: am I doomed to hair loss etc? [Re: Dee]
Edelweiss3 Offline

Loc: American living in Germany
Hairloss can also come from thyroid problems. I think that's more of a reason than menopause.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

NABBW.com | Forum Testimonials | Newsletter Sign Up | View Our Newsletter | Advertise With Us
About the Founder | Media Room | Contact BWS
Resources for Women | Boomer Books | Recent Reads | Boomer Links | Our Voices | Home

Boomer Women Speak
9672 W US Highway 20, Galena, IL 61036 • info@boomerwomenspeak.com • 1-877-BOOMERZ

Boomer Women Speak cannot be held accountable for any personal relationships or meetings face-to-face that develop because of interaction with the forums. In addition, we cannot be held accountable for any information posted in Boomer Women Speak forums.

Boomer Women Speak does not represent or endorse the reliability of any information or offers in connection with advertisements,
articles or other information displayed on our site. Please do your own due diligence when viewing our information.

Privacy PolicyTerms of UseDisclaimer

Copyright 2002-2019 • Boomer Women SpeakBoomerCo Inc. • All rights reserved