The Soap lady meets the Senator
baby chicks
Angel
Quilted Christmas Stocking
Latest Quilt
Shelter from the storm
A new life
Who's Online
0 Registered (), 145 Guests and 1 Spider online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
3239 Members
63 Forums
16332 Topics
210704 Posts

Max Online: 409 @ 01/17/20 03:33 AM
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 >
Topic Options
#159130 - 09/07/08 10:37 PM Bio-Identical Hormones
ShipMate Offline

Loc: Vancouver, Canada
I was going to tough it out...take nothing to help my bizarre set of symptoms. My doctor (who is a woman, by the way) advised me to take off a jacket or open a window... I tried that for three years and when a friend told me it took her EIGHT YEARS of symptoms...I thought I'm not going to survive that...

So I went to a private clinic and now I'm on some bio-identical hormones. I feel somewhat human again for the first time in a long time. Not 100%, like before menopause...but much better.

I just wonder...is anyone else on bio-identical hormones? How long would one be on those? With all the negative press on hormone therapy I'd think this should only be a temporary solution (a couple of years maybe)...

Is anyone taking these kinds of hormones...for how long and what results have you experienced?

SM

"Cosmetics is a boon to every woman, but a girl's best friend is still a near-sighted man." Yoko Ono

#159154 - 09/08/08 01:22 AM Re: Bio-Identical Hormones [Re: ShipMate]
browser57 Offline

Loc: Michigan
I have been on hrt - synthetic early on, and bio-identical for the past 5 years. I was taken off of synthetics when the results of the nurses study hit. I went cold turkey for awhile, but finally pleaded with my dr. to put me back on. After reading about bio's from Suzanne Somers, I talked with my dr. about trying them. She was willing to work with me - and I've been on them ever since. Initially, I did the saliva testing every 6 months to try to keep everything at optimum levels. I did take a 6 month break last year - but was shocked at how quickly things changed. Hot flashes returned, my skin aged overnight - and basically everything that could dry up dried up. I am back on a low level of hrt, just enough to help take the edge off of this thing called aging. I will stay on them forever. I will be 61 on Tues. I've kept myself fit, stopped coloring my hair years ago and get enough compliments on the gray that I feel I did the right thing. Aging is really a state of mind - and I believe if there's something that can help you along the path - why not.

#159155 - 09/08/08 02:16 AM Re: Bio-Identical Hormones [Re: browser57]
yonuh Offline

Loc: Arizona
I did the bio-identical but finally had to stop because the price kept going up and my insurance wouldn't cover it. No way was I taking Premarin because of the animal cruelty issues. I have had good results with Estroven, Extra Strength. It's a blend of herbs, vitamins, and minerals. My main symptoms were the hot flashes and night sweats. This doesn't work for everyone, but it works for me. I had to do something - when my Mom died at 82, she was still having hot flashes. No thanks!!
http://sablewings.wordpress.com/

#159194 - 09/08/08 07:04 PM Re: Bio-Identical Hormones [Re: yonuh]
Dotsie Offline
Founder

Loc: Maryland
I'm on the pill which certainly helps, but isn't perfect.

Do you know about the National Association of Baby Boomer Women, www.nabbw.com, our sister site? Once a member you can listen to over 50 archived teleseminars, or you can print them and read them if you prefer. There's a good teleseminar about this topic in the archives.

#159243 - 09/09/08 06:00 AM Re: Bio-Identical Hormones [Re: Dotsie]
ShipMate Offline

Well, one can only try...everyone is different and different things work for different people. I've found that more maintenance is required than when I was younger. I'm sure if my diet was better and my exercise regime more consistent, I'd feel better...but sometimes trying to fit everything in just causes more stress. Browser57, good for you for letting your hair go grey...I haven't had the guts yet. I'd be pretty grey already and feel maybe it's too soon. I turned 50 this year. But, I am planning on transitioning to letting the hair grow out. Dotsie, I was on the Pill for 30 years (I feel like a science experiment). I wanted to have tubes tied when I was younger but every doctor refused stating that I could still meet Mr. Right who'd insist on having kids...still waiting! Life just never quite works out like you plan--but that just may be the fun of it all.
SM

"Cosmetics is a boon to every woman, but a girl's best friend is still a near-sighted man." Yoko Ono

#159245 - 09/09/08 06:05 AM Re: Bio-Identical Hormones [Re: ShipMate]
gims Offline

Loc: USA
I tried it, but gave it up after a year. I hate taking pills.
My meno period lasted close to ten years... began when I was in my 35th year. I was worried about bone density (last test @ 25% loss), but the mental anguish I had over taking pills was just too much for me.

#159251 - 09/09/08 06:36 AM Re: Bio-Identical Hormones [Re: gims]
ShipMate Offline

Hi gims,
I have the bone loss too; that's most of the reason I'm doing the hormone thing...the hormones are administered via cream which I like better than taking pills but what are you doing about calcium? anything? I hate taking pills too and somehow taking calcium pills, I always think they won't dissolve or something. I am taking a liquid calcium/magnesium concoction together with some Vitamin D. I used to eat so many dairy products, I should have the bones of an ox. Now I'm not so much into the dairy anymore because of all the negative press and it seems to not have done a darn thing for me in any event.
SM

#159254 - 09/09/08 06:50 AM Re: Bio-Identical Hormones [Re: ShipMate]
gims Offline

Loc: USA
I'm doing nothing (except treadmill)... I do take a multiple which has calcium/vit D in the mix... but I'm sure it's not enough. I've heard of topical applications, and understand they are safer.
I DIDN'T do dairy - never in my life... I've never liked milk, only like certain cheeses and only with certain things... don't like yogurt... you'd think I'd have more bone loss than I do...
I know I need to do something, tho. Every time I see Sally Fields on the Boniva commercials, I think 'hmmm.'
Once my gyno sent me to a Chinese herbalist because of my aversion to pharma... I went but didn't get the 'script filled. That was a couple of years ago.
Let us know what you think of the cream after you've used it awhile, would ya?

#159256 - 09/09/08 06:57 AM Re: Bio-Identical Hormones [Re: gims]
ShipMate Offline

There is so much conflicting information, you just don't know what to do. I met a lady once who said she took Fosomax (spelling?) and she ended up with enormous digestive problems and her bone loss had increased after all that. Stories like that really turn me off these medications.

I'll let you know how it goes.
SM

#159290 - 09/09/08 11:26 AM Re: Bio-Identical Hormones [Re: ShipMate]
browser57 Offline

Loc: Michigan
I was on Fosomax for several years but stopped when I started reading about women's bones becoming very brittle (ceramic like) - so yeah, it strengthens them to the point that they shatter???

Have you read The Wisdom of Menopause by Dr. Christiane Northrup. She covers both sides of the hrt issue, natural, bio-dentical. I keep her book by my bedside - because although I'm 61 and consider myself past menopause - I still have things pop up (right now, it's bloating) and found that my diet is too high in wheat and of course sugar.....

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 >

NABBW.com | Forum Testimonials | Newsletter Sign Up | View Our Newsletter | Advertise With Us
About the Founder | Media Room | Contact BWS
Resources for Women | Boomer Books | Recent Reads | Boomer Links | Our Voices | Home

Boomer Women Speak
9672 W US Highway 20, Galena, IL 61036 • info@boomerwomenspeak.com • 1-877-BOOMERZ

Boomer Women Speak cannot be held accountable for any personal relationships or meetings face-to-face that develop because of interaction with the forums. In addition, we cannot be held accountable for any information posted in Boomer Women Speak forums.

Boomer Women Speak does not represent or endorse the reliability of any information or offers in connection with advertisements,
articles or other information displayed on our site. Please do your own due diligence when viewing our information.

Privacy PolicyTerms of UseDisclaimer

Copyright 2002-2019 • Boomer Women SpeakBoomerCo Inc. • All rights reserved