The Soap lady meets the Senator
baby chicks
Angel
Quilted Christmas Stocking
Latest Quilt
Shelter from the storm
A new life
Who's Online
0 Registered (), 120 Guests and 0 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
3239 Members
63 Forums
16332 Topics
210704 Posts

Max Online: 409 @ 01/17/20 03:33 AM
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 >
Topic Options
#145246 - 03/23/08 08:40 PM Hormonal Swings
dancer9 Offline

Loc: Arizona
Did you feel them? I am in early menopause and once again I am screaming about it. I am about a year and a half since my last period and have been through the WASH since my peri menopause was outrageous itself.

I know that some women float through menopause without blinking an eye but I am not. I've two things working against me I am told:

I had a tubal ligation.
I was a dancer, maintainging a low weight all my life,

My new B*tch is hormonal swings! Did anyone or does anyone feel them besides me? They are really not nice and I'm not pleased I must deal with them as well as amazing hot flashes that are finally getting a bit better.

Hormones anyone in menopause? How did you feel? I feel shaky and an adrenaline rush like crazy.

this must stop! They say that the worst is the firt two years, and all I can say is that I would not wish MY menopause on anyone!

Help me out?

Dancer

"Question your privilege"

#145247 - 03/23/08 09:00 PM Re: Hormonal Swings [Re: dancer9]
yonuh Offline

I can't say that I had a difficult transition, except for the hot flashes and night sweats. There were days when I had so many 'power surges' I just wanted to scream!! On the plus side, I didn't have to fight with my SO over the temperature in the house - I was always cold; he was always hot; now I'm just as hot as he is!! LOL

I did try the bioidentical hormones for a year or so; then switched to herbal remedies, some of which didn't work. I found that taking a combination helped more than any one by itself. All I can say, Dancer, is hang in there - it will pass.
http://sablewings.wordpress.com/

#145248 - 03/23/08 09:01 PM Re: Hormonal Swings [Re: yonuh]
dancer9 Offline

Thank you so much, Yonah, for answering! It gave me the biggest smile to hear that it WILL pass!
I've no mother or sister to talk to so it helps me so much!

Thank you again,
Dancer9

#145249 - 03/24/08 01:58 AM Re: Hormonal Swings [Re: dancer9]
humlan Offline

Loc: Sweden
Dancer darling..I want to give you this wise, old cronish kind of answer, at my venerable age of 60..but my head is all bunged up with this cold I have..and the space between my ears is more empty than usual

All I can tell you for certain is that we are alot of boomer women, your sisters, who are in the same rocky boat ..it´s all about being a woman, I guess. I have always had to contend with being temperamental and being surprised by some of my reactions to people and things happening. But now I also am "weepy" at the most unexpected times..and sometimes it is downright embarassing. So now I have to warn even my colleagues at work. "here come the waterworks, sorry" and at other times, I explode when I don´t really want to at all but it´s me..and I might as well get used to it. Makes me more human..humble..and understanding of others I guess a big dose of loving humor for yourself, may help?

You could also trying talking to your gynecologist and asking her/him for some advice? Whatever you decide..YOU ARE NOT ALONE..and it will pass (or you will pass JOKING). It´s all part of this wonderful thing we call life

Lots of cool hugs and love coming your way...

#145250 - 03/24/08 02:46 PM Re: Hormonal Swings [Re: humlan]
orchid Offline

Loc: British Columbia, Canada
You'll get through this, dancer.
I have nothing to offer 'cause my perimenopause is pretty calm. I get shorter heavy periods and a hot face flash for about 5 min. early in morning ..maybe 1-2 times during my period. That's all.

#145251 - 03/24/08 08:01 PM Re: Hormonal Swings [Re: orchid]
Mountain Ash Offline

My menopause happened on a Friday afternoon..Day before Valentines day.Having as hysterectomy and ooperectomy meant BANG... that was that.
As well as the pain the flushes drained me.People said give yourself a year..and yes it was a year till I felt together.Then overactive thyroid hit seemingly this can happen after hysterectomy.I had radio active iodine treatment and things went too low (thyroid) I was relived to have hrt and become balanced on thyroxine.This was a rotten time but with help from family and good friends things settled.My Doctor at the time was a superb lady who held meclose with all the changes.
I think too many things happening at the same tiime was a problem for me..thankfully all things pass.
The outcome for me was a deep understanding of middle years.Reclaiming one's power is a wonderful sense of womanhood.People who have an easy time can brush the reality of the experience away for those who experience issues.
Mountain ash

#145252 - 03/25/08 08:30 PM Re: Hormonal Swings [Re: humlan]
dancer9 Offline

Humlan, my dear, can I ask when you started this journey of no period?

If I can ask anyone, it has to be you, so open as you are about things!

thanks, sweetie!
dancer9

#145253 - 03/25/08 09:55 PM Re: Hormonal Swings [Re: dancer9]
humlan Offline

Loc: Sweden
Dancer, it happened sort of when I was 55..and I suppose the total total stop was within the past year..when I was 59. But then it´s only been very little and not often at all..maybe just 2 or 3 times. My gynecologist says this relatively later menopause period could be due to the fact that I had 5 kids and the last one at 42..she (my gynec.) refers to this alittle later child birth as a kind of vitamin shot..it gave me some youth a bit longer. HOWEVER..NOW I feel as tho I am rapidly decaying..so much has happened in the past 2 years..you know, like people aren´t answering..O, but you look so young for your age..anymore . There´s this silence and then maybe the next comment comes, such as..well, that´s life, I guess.

I am stiffer in the joints..rounder around the waist and the top part is getting baggy fast!!! Everything just kind of went POOF quite quickly over the last 2 yrs!

And I guess I better tell you that I use estrogen replacement in the form of gel that I apply once a day..I chose this because it doesn´t go totally thru my system, then. My gynecologist recommends it to me still..so I use it. I also have a "hormone coil" made from plastic that secretes hormones only in the area. I have this, at this point,to be sure that I don´t get pregnant..funnier things have happened..as you know. Again, this is recommended by my gynec. I started using it when I was about 50, instead of the copper coil because I had terribly heavy periods..I mean grose. These were partly genetical problems at the time. While I was having children..these problems did not appear too often..but when I really stopped having kids..they all came back with a BANG!!!

I have been getting hotflashes the past 2 years and some of them are quite difficult because I can feel sick while it´s going on..but I don´t have them too often..so they don´t bother me too much. I guess it´s the hormal replacement thing? Doesn´t have to be, as my gynec. tells me..

Sweetheart..there you go! You got anymore questions..just fire away..if I can be of help..I will..that´s what we´re here for right??

PS..maybe I am sounding sort of "cheeky" in this post..it could be because my son and his friends are watching, SOME KIND of MONSTER in the next room with all the metallica testerone music this entails (I am a big fan..as you know..so it´s ok )..BUT I do want to refer back to Mountain Ash´s post where she cautions that the time of menopause is not thing to belittle or take lightly..it is a process into another level of womanhood. SOOO..it´s NOT easy at times, Dancer..all the changes that are going on with me..psychologically and physically and spiritually..Perhaps I am developing spiritually..I hope so..but the rest of me is sort of, well, getting older. I can´t count on my body as I could before..and I have pains, stiffness..conditions that have to be taken care of..therefore more doctor appointments. And I wrote before..I am not always sure of how I will react to things..weepy or wild? SOOO..I DO understand that you are wondering what´s going on..and I am here.if I can be of help.

HUGS!!! HUGS!!! HUGS!!!

Edited by humlan (03/25/08 10:06 PM)

#145254 - 03/26/08 01:03 AM Re: Hormonal Swings [Re: humlan]
dancer9 Offline

So, Humlan, you had your last period at 55? That's what I'm wondering as well. Thanks for being so open. It helps SO much! You are too cool, really.
Dancer

Edited by dancer9 (03/26/08 01:06 AM)

#145255 - 03/26/08 02:18 AM Re: Hormonal Swings [Re: dancer9]
hotflashgal Offline

Loc: New Jersey
I still get my period although it is quite irregular. What I have noticed is WILD pms. Last week I could have chewed the head off of anyone who bothered me, and I was crying at the drop of a hat. I also notice that the hot flashes are worse right before my period too and sometimes I get very itchy. Night sweats are not a bother because I sleep in my sleepwear. Like others have mentioned, I too am rounder in the belly and it is harder to shake the weight. Yikes! Ain't this great???

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 >

NABBW.com | Forum Testimonials | Newsletter Sign Up | View Our Newsletter | Advertise With Us
About the Founder | Media Room | Contact BWS
Resources for Women | Boomer Books | Recent Reads | Boomer Links | Our Voices | Home

Boomer Women Speak
9672 W US Highway 20, Galena, IL 61036 • info@boomerwomenspeak.com • 1-877-BOOMERZ

Boomer Women Speak cannot be held accountable for any personal relationships or meetings face-to-face that develop because of interaction with the forums. In addition, we cannot be held accountable for any information posted in Boomer Women Speak forums.

Boomer Women Speak does not represent or endorse the reliability of any information or offers in connection with advertisements,
articles or other information displayed on our site. Please do your own due diligence when viewing our information.

Privacy PolicyTerms of UseDisclaimer

Copyright 2002-2019 • Boomer Women SpeakBoomerCo Inc. • All rights reserved