The Soap lady meets the Senator
baby chicks
Angel
Quilted Christmas Stocking
Latest Quilt
Shelter from the storm
A new life
Who's Online
0 Registered (), 227 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
3239 Members
63 Forums
16332 Topics
210704 Posts

Max Online: 409 @ 01/17/20 03:33 AM
Topic Options
#21191 - 06/23/06 11:18 PM anyone get hot flushes not hot flashes
Maria612 Offline

Loc: New York
Hello, I am new here, nice to meet you all. I was wondering on the suject of hot flashes, I seem to be getting hot flushes, not flashes. They seem to hang around for awhile and I do not sweat. I had a total hysterectomy at 47 and am now 59 and have been on every hormone you could think of. For the last 6 mths. have been on bioidentical hormones from a compound pharmacy, still no luck. I seem to flush on my ears, face, thighs and legs and sometimes feel like I will go up in flames. Been to many Drs. and all tests show normal. Anyone in the same boat as me?

#21192 - 06/24/06 02:42 AM Re: anyone get hot flushes not hot flashes
flossie Offline

Loc: New Zealand
Maria612, on this side of the world we call them hot flushes, the word flash is never mentioned. Every 'body' suffers them in different ways, I sweat whereas you don't, your body breaks out in a red flush, whereas mine doesn't. Mine last from a slight heating for a minute or so, to a total full on sweat.

I still haven't found my magic cure yet, but I too have had a total hysterectomy (6 months ago) at 51 (I'm now 52).

I think you'll find there's many in the same boat as us!!

Eeeeeek and you are in New York where is probably starting to get very hot!

#21193 - 06/24/06 03:24 AM Re: anyone get hot flushes not hot flashes
Maria612 Offline

flossie, yes it has been vey hot here already and I have been staying inside freezing my family with the air conditing on. Flashes to me mean come and go in a flash but flushes last longer.
I hope you find your magic cure, I am just taking longer to find mine.

#21194 - 06/24/06 03:25 AM Re: anyone get hot flushes not hot flashes
Bluebird Offline

Loc: Pagosa Springs, Colorado
Maria 612, can't help you with info on hot flashes (don't really get them yet, I'm 46) but I do want to welcome you to the Forum. You will love it here!!
Where in NY are you? I lived there for over 44 years. Born in the Bronx, grew up in Rockland County, spent 19 years in Orange county.

#21195 - 06/24/06 03:36 AM Re: anyone get hot flushes not hot flashes
yonuh Offline

Loc: Arizona
I've been having hot flashes for so long I can't remember not having them. Those and the night sweats. My partner laughs at me when I have my head in the freezer! Fortunately, I've just learned to live with them. Drinking ice water seems to help some, but I generally don't do anything. There are natural supplements that are supposed to help, but didn't do anything for me. Also drinking lots of soy milk and other soy products works for some, again, didn't work for me. So I just decided that they are not hot flashes but 'power surges' and seem to be able to handle them better with a different name. Sorry I can't be more help, but welcome anyway.

#21196 - 06/24/06 04:43 AM Re: anyone get hot flushes not hot flashes
Maria612 Offline

HI Bluebird and yonuh, thankyou for the welcome. It really is a great web-site. Bluebird, I am from Long Island, live here 31 yrs. and grew up in Brooklyn. Hope you are one of the lucky ones who never get hot flashes.
Yonuh, thanks for the suggestions, I don't get night sweats, lucky in that repect. I thought as you get older you get less, not so in my case.
Nice to meet you ladies, Maria

#21197 - 06/24/06 06:24 PM Re: anyone get hot flushes not hot flashes
Val Offline

Loc: Pa.
There is also something called a "niacin flush". It is a red,itchy,hot flush feeling when one takes more niacin that they previously had taken. It's never happened to me but I have heard of it so thought I'd post it. It is not as I understand it dangerous. (Check to see if you have upped your intake of niacin and that could be the culprit). I had a strange sensation (prior to taking my bioidentical hormones) of........like fire ants is the only way I could describe it. It was not fun and when I told the DR. and also a woman at my local health food store, she said it was also a menopausal symptom. They went away when I started the compounded hormones.

#21198 - 06/24/06 09:03 PM Re: anyone get hot flushes not hot flashes
Maria612 Offline

HI Val, Thanks for the post, yes, I have heard of it. I do get red, most of the times, hot and flush, never itchy.

NABBW.com | Forum Testimonials | Newsletter Sign Up | View Our Newsletter | Advertise With Us
About the Founder | Media Room | Contact BWS
Resources for Women | Boomer Books | Recent Reads | Boomer Links | Our Voices | Home

Boomer Women Speak
9672 W US Highway 20, Galena, IL 61036 • info@boomerwomenspeak.com • 1-877-BOOMERZ

Boomer Women Speak cannot be held accountable for any personal relationships or meetings face-to-face that develop because of interaction with the forums. In addition, we cannot be held accountable for any information posted in Boomer Women Speak forums.

Boomer Women Speak does not represent or endorse the reliability of any information or offers in connection with advertisements,
articles or other information displayed on our site. Please do your own due diligence when viewing our information.

Privacy PolicyTerms of UseDisclaimer

Copyright 2002-2019 • Boomer Women SpeakBoomerCo Inc. • All rights reserved