The Soap lady meets the Senator
baby chicks
Angel
Quilted Christmas Stocking
Latest Quilt
Shelter from the storm
A new life
Who's Online
0 Registered (), 109 Guests and 0 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
3239 Members
63 Forums
16332 Topics
210704 Posts

Max Online: 409 @ 01/17/20 03:33 AM
Topic Options
#172440 - 01/24/09 03:06 AM Genetics' role
Di Offline

Loc: NM, transplant from NJ
Wondering what genetics might have to do w/how menopause is/was for you.

Since Mom died (at 43) before she reached the "age" , we do not know how it would've been for her. And her mom died at age 27. But my oldest sister was finished at age 50. She said it lasted about a year and really did not have problems. Very few hotflashes. My next to older sister I have to ask as yet. (they both had children and I did not.)

I took myself off Premarin around age 48 (almost 4 years ago) since I was on it about 12 years. My own decision. Yet, I still experience hot flashes, which go away when I take my 1000 mg of Evening Primrose Oil daily.

Do hot flashes eventually subside or do they go on forever? If you have sisters or a mother still alive, is/was your menopause the same or different?

#172443 - 01/24/09 03:29 AM Re: Genetics' role [Re: Di]
Princess Lenora Offline

Loc: Colorado
I was taking Evening Primose or whatever it is for severe PMS. I was regular, with endometriosis. I did not have hot flashes during peri-menopause. I don't think I had peri-menopause. Then I got cancer. I had chemo on November 2, the first day of regular period. That was my last period. Chemo put me into menopause. The same with my mother and grandmother (cancer) so I guess genetics does have a lot to do with it. If I had hot flashes, I would have blamed it on the chemo anyway. There is a very lively discussion on Oprah message boards about menopause. I think there is a menopause expert in NABBW. Also on DR Phil message boards due to his wife writing a book about "what's age got to do with it" (nothing if you got the bucks to fight gravity) and Christine Northrup The Wisdom of Menopause is a good reference.

#172465 - 01/24/09 09:58 AM Re: Genetics' role [Re: Princess Lenora]
Dotsie Offline
Founder

Loc: Maryland
Di, another resaon I wish Mom was still around. I know nothing about her perimenopause, except that I never even heard that word back then. I know she had a hysterectomy, but I dont' know why.

I have an older sister and our experiences have been different. I also have two younger sisters who aren't there yet. but time will tell.

Anyone else have thoughts on this?

#172532 - 01/24/09 05:33 PM Re: Genetics' role [Re: Dotsie]
celtic_flame Offline

Loc: Belfast/Northern Ireland
my mum was dead at 52 and had an enforced hysterectomy due to high blood presure in pregnancy another child would have killed her, iv forgotten the name at this second. She still had overies so teachnicalie might have still gone through menopose and i rember her hot flashes.

you always heer to look at how ones mum managed or how it was for her for to tell how it be for us, so i always kinda infeared that generetics did have something to do with it, otherwise why the comparison between mums.

have you read that its not genetic or that it was genertic?

#172545 - 01/24/09 07:12 PM Re: Genetics' role [Re: ]
Dancing Dolphin Offline

Loc: Southern California
My mom, my aunt and my grandma all had hysterectomies, so none of them went through a natural menopuase. My mom had her surgery due to fibroids and heavy bleeding; nowadays there are easier and safer fixes for that.

I'm 51. Shhhh... my period is about 2 weeks overdue. No, not pregnant - bite your tongue!! I had my tubes tied years ago. But I'm feeling like my periods are getting farther and farther apart, so maybe I'm on my way.

No hot flashes to speak of, nothing other than occasional evil mood swings. (my poor family! and my dog goes and hides) Time will tell, but I sure won't miss my monthly friend!

#172549 - 01/24/09 07:30 PM Re: Genetics' role [Re: Dancing Dolphin]
Lola Offline

Loc: London UK
I do not recall Mom mentioning any bother with menopause so I have nothing to go by the genetic route. We have spinster aunts in the family who are moody but I reckon, it's in the nature of their character more than it is attributable to menopause. And, they're not likely to talk about their health.

I had total hysterectomy so mine is what the doctor refers to as surgical menopause. With my hot flashes/flushes, I am my own power substation. I have not been moody although people assumed that I would be when I returned to work post-op, so I obliged with a little snapping, sarcasm and caustic remarks...just because. All the other things that menopause brings about that concerns se_ is something I am in the dark about because I am celibate. However...if someone mentions insomnia...then we're in business!

My sisters still have to go through menopause. My experience is their barometer as I am the oldest.

#172693 - 01/26/09 01:46 AM Re: Genetics' role [Re: Di]
orchid Offline

Loc: British Columbia, Canada
My mother is alive but I really don't know her perimenopause & menopause experience. It is possible she had some hot flashes but nothing to put her into bed. (it was more her bad back and use of tiger Balm ointment that I remembered). Not sure if it would be a priority topic that I would ask her when I visit my parents next time which might be this fall.

After all I haven't see her for nearly 2 yrs. and it's tough for me to spend tons of time to ask about such a topic without my father around. (He just happens to be around because my visits to them are so rare since they are thousands of kms. away.)

Don't know about my sisters since I have a few close to my age. But am sure I'll find out eventually their experiences if they are in the phases at all. One sister has only 1 ovary since her 20's but she did have 2 healthy children after all.

I am the oldest. The only blimp with my perimenopause is that my current period is dragging a tad longer than I expected, just gentle peetering. I get a warm face flush maybe several times per month. But otherwise, I'm fine. Any stress I feel is genuinely related to personal life events outside of my body.

But what I do notice, is that after I go to the washroom for a regular bowel movement first thing when I wake up in morning....my face flush is gone. So maybe face heat has more to do with clearing toxins from my body. just a guess for me, nothing scientific. But the face heat is gone...and my day just begins as usual.

so you now you know partially why I am motivated to clear my system in the bathroom before I go to work. blush crazy

NABBW.com | Forum Testimonials | Newsletter Sign Up | View Our Newsletter | Advertise With Us
About the Founder | Media Room | Contact BWS
Resources for Women | Boomer Books | Recent Reads | Boomer Links | Our Voices | Home

Boomer Women Speak
9672 W US Highway 20, Galena, IL 61036 • info@boomerwomenspeak.com • 1-877-BOOMERZ

Boomer Women Speak cannot be held accountable for any personal relationships or meetings face-to-face that develop because of interaction with the forums. In addition, we cannot be held accountable for any information posted in Boomer Women Speak forums.

Boomer Women Speak does not represent or endorse the reliability of any information or offers in connection with advertisements,
articles or other information displayed on our site. Please do your own due diligence when viewing our information.

Privacy PolicyTerms of UseDisclaimer

Copyright 2002-2019 • Boomer Women SpeakBoomerCo Inc. • All rights reserved