The Soap lady meets the Senator
baby chicks
Angel
Quilted Christmas Stocking
Latest Quilt
Shelter from the storm
A new life
Who's Online
0 Registered (), 237 Guests and 2 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
3239 Members
63 Forums
16332 Topics
210704 Posts

Max Online: 409 @ 01/17/20 03:33 AM
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 >
Topic Options
#20994 - 02/08/06 11:26 PM memory loss
starting over Offline

Loc: Illinois
Has anyone that is on the backside of menopause experienced memory loss? I am 49 and menopause (I think) is just about over. I knew I had lost memory (short-term)but was attributing it to high stress because of bad marriage/divorce.

Last week I got an e-mail from someone I dated as a freshman in high school, he asked me if I remembered certain things from high schol--I don't remember any of them--even after he filled in details! I am really starting to worry about this.

This morning I was re-reading some old journal entries, some things I don't remember at all, some things I remembered once I read them.

I was told that memory loss, even not being able to remember your phone numbers some days was part of menopause so I dismissed it all as a part of the process and trusted that it would come back. I am now past the oh-my-God-I-can't-remember-my phone-number days but long term memory is clearly not back yet.

Does anyone have any info on this? Will it return? Anybody else experienced this?

#20995 - 02/09/06 02:43 AM Re: memory loss
writegirl1949 Offline

Loc: Arizona
Starting over,

I've struggled with long-term memory loss but I'm not sure I can attribute it to menopause. I had a mild stroke 10 years ago but recovered from it EXCEPT during stress. But, in the intervening years, there are many things I don't remember. I've told my husband he could give me the same birthday card each year and I wouldn't know the difference. I buy DVDs of the same movie ... not remembering that I've seen OR bought it. There are few books I remember reading although I can usually remember a few of my favorite ones. I'm even having to refresh my memory on the book I've written as it relates to certain characters. Not sure if this will help except to tell you, you aren't alone.

Blessings, Francine

#20996 - 02/09/06 03:07 AM Re: memory loss
LSmith5434 Offline

Loc: Washington State
I'm having trouble with remembering where I've put things, so I will remember where they are.
Isn't that just a bummer!
I put away a great pair of boots, and now I can't find them. I honestly think I gave them to someone and don't remember doing it.
It is really beginning to bug me, but what is a person to do?
Lynne

#20997 - 02/09/06 05:07 PM Re: memory loss
Dotsie Offline
Founder

Loc: Maryland
Last night was Girl's Night Out. Five of us gathered at a friend's for a few hours. After about an hour, right in the middle of a conversation, one gal screeched a person's name. Everyone looked at her, then realized that was the name of the person we couldn't recall from an hour prior in another conversation.

We laughed hysterically and commented on how that's happening more and more all the time.

Lynne, those boots were made for walking, and that's just what they did... [Big Grin]

#20998 - 02/10/06 08:21 AM Re: memory loss
jawjaw Offline
Da Queen

Loc: Alabama
SO, I too was a victim of "now why did I come in this room" syndrom until I started eating better, taking vitamins, and letting things go. By that I mean not getting stressed out over everything that came along. I use to do that. Now, most of the time I think, "what the worst that can happen?" Usually it's not so bad, or has already happen. So when I started living by the mantra "this too shall pass," everything, including my memory, improved. Hope this helps! Now what was the question?

JJ

#20999 - 02/10/06 04:55 AM Re: memory loss
Eagle Heart Offline

Loc: Canada
The silver lining in this memory loss thing for me is that it gives me lots of unexpected exercise, like getting all the way upstairs, forgetting what I went up there for, getting all the way down to the basement (2 flights of stairs) and remembering, then going all the way back up the stairs, because I need the thing I went up there for in order to finish what I'm doing in the basement.

Then I get down to the basement, forget what I'm working on, go back up to the main floor and watch TV until I remember.

Whew. No wonder my stretch jeans don't fit me anymore.

#21000 - 02/10/06 05:34 AM Re: memory loss
chatty lady Offline
Writer

Loc: Nevada
Walked into Renatas Restaurant Tuesday night and sat down wondering where my Writers group was, could the meeing have been cancelled, NO! Could they have moved the meeting place and not told me, NO! Waere all my clocks fast or slow, NO! So what on earth was going on? I waited one half hour and never saw one familiar face so I called our President and asked, "hey where is everybody?" She listened to my tail and began laughing hysterically and then said, "Char its Tuesday night, and we meet on Monday remember?"
I not only spaced out the Monday meeting but thought Tuesday was Monday, daaahhhh!!! Nothing wrong with my memory, oh sure!!!

#21001 - 02/10/06 05:46 AM Re: memory loss
Bluebird Offline

Loc: Pagosa Springs, Colorado
I hope you at least ordered some food!

#21002 - 02/10/06 06:03 AM Re: memory loss
AvalonBlondi Offline

Loc: West Chester ,PA
Oh Chatty what a riot...thanks for telling us that story...now if that had been me I'd be looking around for the Candid Camera crew....you are too funny... [Big Grin]

#21003 - 02/10/06 08:47 AM Re: memory loss
LSmith5434 Offline

Loc: Washington State
There you go again Chatty.......I'm rolling on the floor laughing, and trying to type at the same time.
What a hoot!!!
Did you order any food?
Lynne

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 >

NABBW.com | Forum Testimonials | Newsletter Sign Up | View Our Newsletter | Advertise With Us
About the Founder | Media Room | Contact BWS
Resources for Women | Boomer Books | Recent Reads | Boomer Links | Our Voices | Home

Boomer Women Speak
9672 W US Highway 20, Galena, IL 61036 • info@boomerwomenspeak.com • 1-877-BOOMERZ

Boomer Women Speak cannot be held accountable for any personal relationships or meetings face-to-face that develop because of interaction with the forums. In addition, we cannot be held accountable for any information posted in Boomer Women Speak forums.

Boomer Women Speak does not represent or endorse the reliability of any information or offers in connection with advertisements,
articles or other information displayed on our site. Please do your own due diligence when viewing our information.

Privacy PolicyTerms of UseDisclaimer

Copyright 2002-2019 • Boomer Women SpeakBoomerCo Inc. • All rights reserved