The Soap lady meets the Senator
baby chicks
Angel
Quilted Christmas Stocking
Latest Quilt
Shelter from the storm
A new life
Who's Online
0 Registered (), 98 Guests and 1 Spider online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
3239 Members
63 Forums
16332 Topics
210704 Posts

Max Online: 409 @ 01/17/20 03:33 AM
Topic Options
#163379 - 10/21/08 05:55 AM Did CFL Light Bulb make me sick?
Daisygirl Offline

Loc: Ohio
Hi y'all! It's been a long time since I've posted - I've been busy with work and making jewelry. I would like to get your input. My situation is that for several months, every now and then I would have to get sick in the middle of the night. I would feel fine after about a half hour.

Tonight I was half asleep when I noticed a bad acidy smell in my bedroom. After checking the room I determined that the light bulb was smoldering so I unplugged the lamp and took it out of the room. It's taking a long time for the smell to disipate. Right afer this happened, I got sick.

This has made me wonder if anyone else has gotten sick for no reason? I've researched on the web and there are some others who have trouble but mostly people who get migraines and it's due to the flickering. Maybe this bulb was defective, but even if that's the case, it's pretty disturbing that a light bulb could affect me so much by it simply being next to my bed.

laurapoplin.com

#163382 - 10/21/08 06:37 AM Re: Did CFL Light Bulb make me sick? [Re: Daisygirl]
Edelweiss2 Offline

Loc: American living in Germany
I had that. Every night I was sick to my stomach. It took almost two years for the doctors to figure out what was wrong with me. Finally they discovered a tiny stone in the gallbladder tract. It was large enough to clog it, but too small to see in the ultrasound...They removed my gallbladder,...and all is well with the world now.

#163400 - 10/21/08 12:26 PM Re: Did CFL Light Bulb make me sick? [Re: Edelweiss2]
jawjaw Offline
Da Queen

Loc: Alabama
Daisygirl, welcome home girl....I've never heard of that before, but I'll keep my ear to the ground and if I do, I'll post it here.

Let me say that I'm like EW in that I use to get sick in the middle of the night, mostly sick to my stomach. As it turned out, it was my gall bladder as well. But there were other signs, not just getting sick during the night.

Other than this, I hope you are happy and well!

#163427 - 10/21/08 07:05 PM Re: Did CFL Light Bulb make me sick? [Re: jawjaw]
JackieG Offline

Hi,
We had a big discussion at my job one day about CFL bulbs, the discussion was about a news report of a store clerk who was rushed to the hospital because he dropped and broke up a box of CFL bulbs and in doing so he had breathed in a mercury vapor that the bulbs contain and had gotten very ill. Apparently the bulbs contain mercury vapor that when inhaled can cause a wide range of health problems including heart problems. One of my co-workers who had some of the bulbs at home, said and did take them back to the store and exchanged them for regular long-life GE bulbs - I recommend you do the same...

Edited by JackieG (10/21/08 07:06 PM)

#163430 - 10/21/08 07:34 PM Re: Did CFL Light Bulb make me sick? [Re: JackieG]
yonuh Offline

Loc: Arizona
The mercury in these bulbs is miniscule and can only be inhaled if the bulb is broken. If a bulb is broken, opening a window and leaving the room for 15 minutes is all it takes to dissipate the mercury fumes. (this info was from not only the EPA web site but also others that are non-government environmental sites)

I think the benefits of CFLs outweigh the possible hazards and we have replaced every light bulb in our home with them.
http://sablewings.wordpress.com/

#163453 - 10/22/08 02:21 AM Re: Did CFL Light Bulb make me sick? [Re: yonuh]
gims Offline

Loc: USA
I've heard of the dangers (in a safety meeting at a past job). But, I've not gotten sick from any bulbs. We use them throughout our house... I'll be paying more attention, for sure. Why is there always a hidden danger?

NABBW.com | Forum Testimonials | Newsletter Sign Up | View Our Newsletter | Advertise With Us
About the Founder | Media Room | Contact BWS
Resources for Women | Boomer Books | Recent Reads | Boomer Links | Our Voices | Home

Boomer Women Speak
9672 W US Highway 20, Galena, IL 61036 • info@boomerwomenspeak.com • 1-877-BOOMERZ

Boomer Women Speak cannot be held accountable for any personal relationships or meetings face-to-face that develop because of interaction with the forums. In addition, we cannot be held accountable for any information posted in Boomer Women Speak forums.

Boomer Women Speak does not represent or endorse the reliability of any information or offers in connection with advertisements,
articles or other information displayed on our site. Please do your own due diligence when viewing our information.

Privacy PolicyTerms of UseDisclaimer

Copyright 2002-2019 • Boomer Women SpeakBoomerCo Inc. • All rights reserved