The Soap lady meets the Senator
baby chicks
Angel
Quilted Christmas Stocking
Latest Quilt
Shelter from the storm
A new life
Who's Online
0 Registered (), 169 Guests and 1 Spider online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
3239 Members
63 Forums
16332 Topics
210704 Posts

Max Online: 409 @ 01/17/20 03:33 AM
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
#156524 - 08/15/08 07:03 PM Bifocal contact lenses?
Dancing Dolphin Offline

Loc: Southern California
Hi ladies,
I've worn glasses for years, and in the past few years have had the no-line bifocals. They work really well for working at the computer, which is where I spend most of my time. Lately my eyes seem to have changed a lot, and now I am considering contact lenses.

I have heard there are weighted bifocal contact lenses that keep the bottom part in the proper place in your eye. I've also heard there are ones made similar to the no-line eyeglasses.

Do any of you wear contacts, and if so, do you have any experience with ones that would work for a person that needs bifocals?

Thanks in advance!
Kathy

#156532 - 08/15/08 07:50 PM Re: Bifocal contact lenses? [Re: Dancing Dolphin]
Dotsie Offline
Founder

Loc: Maryland
Kath, let me get Ross to weigh in on this. He fits boomers in lenses all the time, and prescribes reading glasses to all our friends at this stage of the game. He's at the Y now, but I'll mention this to him this weekend and get back to you.

#156537 - 08/15/08 08:02 PM Re: Bifocal contact lenses? [Re: Dotsie]
Dancing Dolphin Offline

Dotsie, that'd be great, thanks!

#156553 - 08/15/08 09:31 PM Re: Bifocal contact lenses? [Re: Dancing Dolphin]
chickadee Offline

Loc: Alabama
I just say a commercial for Bausch to get a trial pair for free. Worth looking into if you decide to try, Kathy.

http://www.bausch.com/en_US/consumer/visioncare/general/bl_multifocal_free_trial.aspx

#156574 - 08/16/08 12:10 AM Re: Bifocal contact lenses? [Re: chickadee]
keyholes Offline

Loc: Ohio the heart of it all
I have bifocal contacts. For me, I prefer working with my glasses since I do so much computer work. But I have a script for contacts and use them off-hours and weekends. I love 'em. They correct my astigmatism as well. However, be prepared...they are NOT cheap. I pay about $90 a box, not covered by insurance. My insurance only pays for one pair of lenses per year and I need both my glasses and contacts. I read much better with my glasses. But contacts are much better for me for distance sight and driving.

#156589 - 08/16/08 08:57 AM Re: Bifocal contact lenses? [Re: keyholes]
Dotsie Offline
Founder

HA, I just used the email this thread link and sent it to him since I forgot to mention it to him last night. I'll let you knw what he says.

#156598 - 08/16/08 12:28 PM Re: Bifocal contact lenses? [Re: Dotsie]
Dotsie Offline
Founder

Okay, here's his response:

"My pat answer regarding multifocal contacts is that they work well for some people.

The result depends on many factors:
their prescription
the type of work they do
tolerance to occaisional blur
adequate tearing to support contacts

Any eye doctor can obtain free trial lenses. I would suggest going to her doc and expressing her interest to see if she is a good candidate. I will say that most people when comparing glasses to multifocal contacts for near vision tasks say they SEE better with glasses. The fact that they may LOOK better in contacts sometimes makes a little vision concession acceptable. Hope this helps."

#156613 - 08/16/08 02:22 PM Re: Bifocal contact lenses? [Re: Dotsie]
Dancing Dolphin Offline

Thanks everyone! I'm the kind of person that would wear ONE thing all the time; more than likely wouldn't switch between glasses and contacts. I would only go with contacts if I could wear them all the time, even while working.

The trial lenses are a good idea; I actually just saw that online last night and printed a coupon. But I don't have vision insurance and it costs a lot more for the exam and fittings if you're going for contacts.

Based on everything, I'll probably stay with glasses. I'd rather SEE better, as your hubby put it, than LOOK better.

#156641 - 08/16/08 07:29 PM Re: Bifocal contact lenses? [Re: Dancing Dolphin]
gims Offline

Loc: USA
I'd rather see better, too. I have bifocals, which I find bothersome. I've thought about corrective surgery - a daughter and a son-n-law have had it done, and are happy with the results. My eyes are older, and some funky things are going on with them, so I hesitate.
Glasses can be attractive, I think. Mine aren't, they are strictly utilitarian.
Dolphin, you look great in glasses.

#156642 - 08/16/08 08:06 PM Re: Bifocal contact lenses? [Re: gims]
Dancing Dolphin Offline

Thanks gims, you're sweet. You know, I was looking at myself in the mirror with them off, and I think my under-eye bags are more visible. Maybe my glasses hide those! smile

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >

NABBW.com | Forum Testimonials | Newsletter Sign Up | View Our Newsletter | Advertise With Us
About the Founder | Media Room | Contact BWS
Resources for Women | Boomer Books | Recent Reads | Boomer Links | Our Voices | Home

Boomer Women Speak
9672 W US Highway 20, Galena, IL 61036 • info@boomerwomenspeak.com • 1-877-BOOMERZ

Boomer Women Speak cannot be held accountable for any personal relationships or meetings face-to-face that develop because of interaction with the forums. In addition, we cannot be held accountable for any information posted in Boomer Women Speak forums.

Boomer Women Speak does not represent or endorse the reliability of any information or offers in connection with advertisements,
articles or other information displayed on our site. Please do your own due diligence when viewing our information.

Privacy PolicyTerms of UseDisclaimer

Copyright 2002-2019 • Boomer Women SpeakBoomerCo Inc. • All rights reserved