The Soap lady meets the Senator
baby chicks
Angel
Quilted Christmas Stocking
Latest Quilt
Shelter from the storm
A new life
Who's Online
0 Registered (), 106 Guests and 0 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
3239 Members
63 Forums
16332 Topics
210704 Posts

Max Online: 409 @ 01/17/20 03:33 AM
Topic Options
#106080 - 02/02/07 01:31 PM back pain - check this out
Dotsie Offline
Founder

Loc: Maryland
Want another opinion?
Check this out!

APTA Sponsors National Toll-Free Hotline, Feb. 15,
Addressing Back Pain Among Baby Boomers

ALEXANDRIA, VA, January 31, 2007 — Because of increasingly demanding jobs, hectic daily schedules, participating in recreational activities, and caring for children, grandchildren, and elderly parents, back pain is becoming a common thread among baby boomers. However, this generation is less resigned to simply accept the changes brought about by aging, says the American Physical Therapy Association (APTA).

Baby boomers, those born between 1946 and 1964 and who now make up one fourth of the U.S. population, are leading more active lifestyles than previous generations. "Baby boomers are as active as they were when they were younger, but now they're living with chronic low back pain or osteoarthritis," says Jennifer Gamboa, PT, DPT, OCS, MTC, owner of Body Dynamics, a physical therapy private practice in Arlington, VA. "These conditions as well as others can benefit greatly from physical therapy intervention."

Back pain among baby boomers will be the subject of a toll-free national hotline on Thursday, February 15, from 9:00 am until 5:00 pm, Eastern Standard Time, sponsored by the American Physical Therapy Association's Orthopaedic and Sports Physical Therapy Sections. The toll-free number is 1-877-NEED-A-PT (633-3278). Physical therapists will be on hand to answer questions about injury prevention, exercise, and ways to prevent back pain. The hotline is offered as a public service to help people learn how to minimize back pain and is not a substitute for a visit to a physical therapist or other health care professional.

"Frequently, patients may unknowingly exacerbate their pain by exercising improperly or by having poor posture," Gamboa said. Physical therapists can help to identify and correct those behaviors. Physical therapists work on increasing muscle strength and cardiovascular endurance, restoring and improving range of motion in joints, and decreasing muscle and joint pain.

Physical therapy interventions may include therapeutic exercise, manual therapy, and functional training, as well as exercises for strength, flexibility, and range of motion, and devices designed to rest or support the joint, such as orthotics or splints. "The goal of a physical therapist is to get you back to doing what you enjoy on a daily basis with as little discomfort as possible."

For those patients who either are just starting an exercise regime, or for injured weekend warriors just getting back in the game, Gamboa recommends starting off slowly and not doing too much too fast. She notes that physical therapists devise step-wise plans in order for patients to gain strength and mobility.

Gamboa also suggests investing in an ergonomically correct chair for work, taking frequent breaks from computers, and participating in stress-relieving activities, such as yoga or meditation, to offset back pain.

Physical therapists (PTs) are health care professionals who diagnose and treat individuals of all ages, from newborns to the elderly, who have medical problems or other health-related conditions that limit their abilities to move and perform functional activities in their daily lives. PTs examine each individual and develop a plan of care using treatment techniques to promote the ability to move, reduce pain, restore function, and prevent disability.

The American Physical Therapy Association (www.apta.org) is a national organization representing nearly 70,000 physical therapists, physical therapist assistants, and students nationwide. Its goal is to foster advancements in physical therapist education, practice, and research. Consumers can access "Find a PT" to find a physical therapist in their area, as well as physical therapy news and information at www.apta.org/consumer.

#106081 - 02/02/07 06:16 PM Re: back pain - check this out
Vicki M. Taylor Offline

Loc: Tampa, FL
Thanks, Dotsie!
Your Writing Coach
Writing Coach Blog

#106082 - 02/03/07 01:47 PM Re: back pain - check this out [Re: Vicki M. Taylor]
Dotsie Offline
Founder

I think it's such a good idea. I think we'll see more of these offers as boomers continue to rise in our years.

#106083 - 02/03/07 03:09 PM Re: back pain - check this out
Anno Offline

Loc: Minneapolis Minnesota
I agree, a good idea. Yoga - it has done wonders for my own back and that of my girlfriend. You need a knowledgeable instructor and a small class so the instructor can focus on individuals, though. I highly recommend it!

#106084 - 02/04/07 09:36 PM Re: back pain - check this out [Re: Anno]
Dotsie Offline
Founder

Anno, I took two classes of yoga last year with a remarkable teacher. She was very peaceful and most knowledgable. Anyway, now that I've had major surgery on both knees,I'm afraid I can't take it. Do you think it would be worth taking yoga if you can't kneel?

#106085 - 02/04/07 10:03 PM Re: back pain - check this out
Anno Offline

Loc: Minneapolis Minnesota
Dotsie, a great instructor will help you modify poses to get past you disabilities and pains. Yes, I love my yoga and take it with many people that have different issues than I do. I have been back at it for about 6 months now and I feel stronger and more flexible. In fact, my arms. chest and back are stronger than when I did weights. And, no bulging muscles.

#106086 - 02/05/07 12:31 AM Re: back pain - check this out
madhatter Offline

Loc: North Florida
Dotsie, you might want to check into Tai Chi. It works on flexiblity and is gentle on the body. Like yoga, it can be modified for any level of ability. Here, they even teach it at the Senior Citizen Center. Plus, it really amuses your neighbors when you practice in your back yard.

#106087 - 02/05/07 05:28 PM Re: back pain - check this out [Re: madhatter]
Laurel Offline

Loc: Oklahoma, USA
I recommend Tai Chai. I have fibromyalgia and had gotten so bad I had to use a cane. When I started Tai Chai I had to do most of it sitting down but gradually worked myself up to standing and now I'm able to walk on a tread mill. I walk three miles three times a week. I no longer have to use a cane.

Whatever exercise you choose, start slow and easy and don't feel like you have to keep up with everyone else in the beginning.

Laurel

#106088 - 02/05/07 05:35 PM Re: back pain - check this out [Re: Laurel]
Casey Offline

Loc: Aptos, California
I love yoga. I agree that a good instructor will modify all postures to handle your challenges. I also recommend Bowen Therapy to help repair those bad moves we make when we think we are younger than we are. It's a form of massage that moves the facia on the muscle, setting up vibrations of healing.

NABBW.com | Forum Testimonials | Newsletter Sign Up | View Our Newsletter | Advertise With Us
About the Founder | Media Room | Contact BWS
Resources for Women | Boomer Books | Recent Reads | Boomer Links | Our Voices | Home

Boomer Women Speak
9672 W US Highway 20, Galena, IL 61036 • info@boomerwomenspeak.com • 1-877-BOOMERZ

Boomer Women Speak cannot be held accountable for any personal relationships or meetings face-to-face that develop because of interaction with the forums. In addition, we cannot be held accountable for any information posted in Boomer Women Speak forums.

Boomer Women Speak does not represent or endorse the reliability of any information or offers in connection with advertisements,
articles or other information displayed on our site. Please do your own due diligence when viewing our information.

Privacy PolicyTerms of UseDisclaimer

Copyright 2002-2019 • Boomer Women SpeakBoomerCo Inc. • All rights reserved