The Soap lady meets the Senator
baby chicks
Angel
Quilted Christmas Stocking
Latest Quilt
Shelter from the storm
A new life
Who's Online
0 Registered (), 195 Guests and 2 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
3239 Members
63 Forums
16332 Topics
210704 Posts

Max Online: 409 @ 01/17/20 03:33 AM
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
#17843 - 09/03/04 03:23 PM Plastic Surgery
Agate Offline

Loc: Minnesota
With all the new "make over" reality shows, plastic surgery seems to be getting more and more popular. What does everyone think about botox (which I guess isn't really surgery) and all the other stuff that's now available to make you look younger, thinner, etc.?

#17844 - 09/03/04 03:58 PM Re: Plastic Surgery
jawjaw Offline
Da Queen

Loc: Alabama
Girl...you can ask some of the other women here in the forum about how I feel regarding plastic surgery OR I should say cosmetic surgery.

I don't like making blanket statements because everybody's different and their reasons for having something done are personal. They also have deep feelings about the WHY's...so let me say that I don't mean to step on ANYONE's toes by expressing my own feelings about this, k?

I do not like the message(s) we are sending out to the world that cutting or rearranging your features means you are better somehow. I think (and I'm basing this on some interviews AND discussions) that some people have surgeries because they have OTHER problems of low self-esteem, deep depression and blame their looks somehow on this mental state, or have been told by their peers/friends/family repeatedly they are not good enough.

In other words, what I'm saying here is that some people (notice I say SOME, not ALL, k?) have cosmetic surgeries because they think it will make them smarter, prettier, or a better person. Nothing could be further from the truth. Not only that, the REAL underlying problem is still there, isn't it? The low self-esteem, etc...???

I think it is a waste of money and I think we are also sending the WRONG message to our youth by making it the "IN" thing to do too. What about the young people who cannot afford the tatoos or plastic surgery? Do they sink even lower in the self-esteem boat?

Okay, stepping down from soapbox now...lbut not without asking one question of anyone considering plastic surgery and that is, "Who did you (or would you) REALLY have the surgery for?" Your self? Or to impress others? If it's door number 2, then....

JJ

#17845 - 09/08/04 04:37 AM Re: Plastic Surgery
Agate Offline

Loc: Minnesota
I guess I believe the good or bad of cosmetic surgery depends on the situation. The TV makeovers are over the top, completely changing people.

I do like to see the change that good dental work (braces, whitening, etc.) can do for a person's smile (and their willingness to show a real smile). I know people who've had the stomach bypass surgery(I think that's the non-tech. term). It's taken one of my friends a long time to get comfortable with her new size and realize she can sit in a wooden chair without worrying that it might break. She still has a lot of the old issues to deal with but she has a lot more freedom as far as activities and is so much healthier and happier than she was. Of course, I'm not sure if either of those examples constitute cosmetic surgery.

I have been called hawk nose and a number of other names because of my nose. My siblings and I even got out a tape measure to see who had the longest nose. One of my brothers won. Yet I don't want to change my nose because it would be like changing my whole face and that would be freaky.

I've also been called flatsy and a number of other names because of my flat chest. Now that I would love to change just because it would be fun to look good in a tight shirt, low cut dress, or negligee.

I'm not sure about Botox and all that. Maybe it's messing with my face in general that scares me because of the things that can go wrong.

Anyway, I think changing something because it bothers you night and day and you don't think you can ever be happy because of said cellulite, wrinkles, or because you have Michael Jackson syndrom is pretty unhealthy. But I think cosmetic surgery is okay if you are realistic in your expectations and not expecting the surgery to change your life or your feelings about yourself.

#17846 - 09/11/04 01:26 AM Re: Plastic Surgery
meredithbead Offline
The Divine Ms M

Loc: Orange County, California
I 100% amen jawjaw's entire post and would like to add. Here in Orange County, one of the highest average incomes in the USA and only 50 miles away from the plastic fantastic dreams of Hollywood, plastic surgery has become rampant. I thoroughly support anyone who feels they need surgery after serious accidents or illness, or if they were born with a deformity, but what we have here is Recreational Slice 'N' Dice. People with tight unnatural faces and obnoxious boobs. Some of them look really weird, not very human. A friend and I have been known to burst out laughing at these people because they really do look stupid. Other places have fashion victims; our fashion victims are often surgery victims as well. The Plastic Operation Du Jour Club. After about the third surgery, these people look downright scary (witness Michael Jackson and Pamela Anderson.)

When I see anyone who looks that fake, I assume that the fakeness extends to their personality and I really don't care to know them at all.

----------------------------------

Oh, and Botox:
It was recommended by a doctor that I get a prescription for it because of my severe migraines. So far I've resolutely refused because we don't have the research to know if 20 years from now, faces will be permanently paralyzed (because that's what it does) or any other long-term effects. It's a poison, OK?

#17847 - 09/11/04 02:01 AM Re: Plastic Surgery
Dianne Offline
Queen of Shoes

Loc: Arizona
I have Botox injected into my forehead and above my ears (in the scalp) about every four months due to migraines. It kind of paralyzes (sp?) my forehead and I can't make the same expressions as I used to but since Imitrex is bad on the heart, I choose Botox over it any day of the week. It's expensive and hurts but it puts an end to my horrible headaches. The side affect of a smooth forehead isn't so bad either! I'd take wrinkles over a Migraine tho! [Eek!]

#17848 - 09/14/04 12:02 AM Re: Plastic Surgery
meredithbead Offline
The Divine Ms M

Loc: Orange County, California
Dianne, Imitrex scares me too, but I take it because I can't stand being debilitated for days on end. Right now Botox scares me a little more because of the research void, so I don't take it. Maybe someday when more research has been done...???

I don't take issue with you and others who take Botox for migraines, because that's a medical decision and not a vanity action. Nor do I have a problem with mastectomy survivors who opt for implants. What churns me is the cavallier attitude of people who routinely cut themselves up for someone else's beauty standards.

I guess my solution to the forehead wrinkles was to grow bangs! Anyhow, I don't have fine wrinkles, just Grand Canyon crevices. [Roll Eyes]

#17849 - 11/25/05 05:08 PM Re: Plastic Surgery
meenugupta Offline

Loc: LA, USA
You wont believe how affordable cosmetic surgery is. They are now operating tours where a group of ladies get together to go overseas to a super exotic spa for 7 to 10 days and get procedures like Face Lift, Eye Lids, Breast Implants etc done and packages start from as low as $5000 all inclusive

#17850 - 11/25/05 06:28 PM Re: Plastic Surgery
Danita Offline

Loc: Colorado
I've also seen documentaries about the danger of going to other countries to get cosmetic surgery done.

There are some things where "saving money" isn't probably a bonus. I would say cosmetic surgery is one of them.

D.

#17851 - 11/25/05 06:30 PM Re: Plastic Surgery
Dianne Offline
Queen of Shoes

Loc: Arizona
I'm with you on this, Danita. They don't have to follow the same standards in other countries.

#17852 - 11/25/05 11:49 PM Re: Plastic Surgery
ladybug Offline

I'm all for a woman getting plastic surgery and I really feel that many women are doing it just to feel good about their appearances.

I personally know two women who had face lifts and it looked so natural and rejuvenating. I must tell you neither of them have a "tight" look at all. I personally know six women who had "nose jobs" and I can tell you all of these women were very pleased with the results.

The one woman who had her face lift done is in her late fifties and divorced. She has two daughters who think it looks great. She said it "put a spring in her step." She said she could also feel herself "strut" into a room. The other woman was 62 when she had her face lift done and she looks fabulous. It looks natural. I'm not for botox but only because I wonder about putting something like that into your face for the purpose of eliminating wrinkles.

When I was in my early to mid-forties my opinion at that time was, negative to this type of surgery. Now I see it as a personal choice for women if that's what they want. I certainly think the extreme work done on celebrities does look stupid, thinking of Michael Jackson, Dolly Parton, Pamela Anderson to name a few.) Still there are others who've had it "tastefully" done.

My mother had a consultation done several years ago regarding a face-lift. The doctor asked her first why she wanted it done and what her expectations were about it. The doctor cautioned her that it would not change any personal problems in her life. She never did have it done but I think she regrets it a little. She's 79 now and was in her late fifties when she went for the consultation.

[ November 25, 2005, 08:04 PM: Message edited by: ladybug ]

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >

NABBW.com | Forum Testimonials | Newsletter Sign Up | View Our Newsletter | Advertise With Us
About the Founder | Media Room | Contact BWS
Resources for Women | Boomer Books | Recent Reads | Boomer Links | Our Voices | Home

Boomer Women Speak
9672 W US Highway 20, Galena, IL 61036 • info@boomerwomenspeak.com • 1-877-BOOMERZ

Boomer Women Speak cannot be held accountable for any personal relationships or meetings face-to-face that develop because of interaction with the forums. In addition, we cannot be held accountable for any information posted in Boomer Women Speak forums.

Boomer Women Speak does not represent or endorse the reliability of any information or offers in connection with advertisements,
articles or other information displayed on our site. Please do your own due diligence when viewing our information.

Privacy PolicyTerms of UseDisclaimer

Copyright 2002-2019 • Boomer Women SpeakBoomerCo Inc. • All rights reserved