The Soap lady meets the Senator
baby chicks
Angel
Quilted Christmas Stocking
Latest Quilt
Shelter from the storm
A new life
Who's Online
0 Registered (), 214 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
3239 Members
63 Forums
16332 Topics
210704 Posts

Max Online: 409 @ 01/17/20 03:33 AM
Topic Options
#17357 - 09/20/05 06:40 PM Hip Replacement
jordansgrandma Offline

Loc: Virginia
Would like to hear from someone who has had a hip replacement, I am 51 and in alot of pain due to a worn out hip. I would like to talk to someone who has been through this surgery.

#17358 - 09/20/05 09:26 PM Re: Hip Replacement
Sera Offline

Loc: Fairfield, Ct. USA
Jordansgrandma- I,myself, haven't been through it, but my husband had his hip replaced 3 years ago. He had a congenital hip deformity, that, as he aged and had arthritis added into the mix, was in constant pain with for years when I met him.He had the surgery at about your age...he's 54 now..and he wished he'd had it done before! [Smile] He's completely pain-free and has nothing but good to say of the whole thing. It IS a lot of work for the spouse if the patient leaves the hospital and goes directly home, so if he ever needs a replacement, we would have him head to a rehab center for a week or so instead of directly home. (Our house has stairs, so it's harder that way too.)Hope this answer helped some..it's not first hand experience,..but I went "through" it with him, and see the change in him without the pain in his life! Blessings and best of luck with whatever you decide! S.

#17359 - 09/20/05 09:38 PM Re: Hip Replacement
Eagle Heart Offline

Loc: Canada
My friend, Sigrid, also a member here, has written an incredible book about hip replacement, called "Getting Hip". She's been through the whole thing and her book is getting rave reviews. She'll probably be along later today to chat.

#17360 - 09/20/05 11:28 PM Re: Hip Replacement
Sigrid Macdonald Offline

Loc: Ottawa, Ontario
Dear Jordan's Grandma:

Sorry to hear that you're having so much pain in your hip. Do you have osteoarthritis? The good news is that hip replacement is extremely successful, especially the first time round.

I needed my hip replaced at the age of 47 because it was badly damaged in a car accident when I was hit by a drunk driver. I waited until age 50, partly because I felt too young for the operation and doctors weren't keen on doing it, and then latterly because I went on an 18 month wait list here in Canada.

Recovery times are very individual and variable. My recovery took longer than most people's but I feel really excellent now two years after the surgery. My big complaint is that I have an inoperable problem in my knee which restricts my activities; otherwise, the hip is great. No problems there.

I agree with Sera that it can be a lot of work for your spouse if you go directly home from the hospital. I was kept in the rehab unit of the hospital for some time and that helped considerably.

What stage are you at now? Have you seen an orthopedist? Is he recommending a THR? How long would you have to wait and what are your feelings on the subject? You're young. Could you be a candidate for hip resurfacing or alternate implants like metal on metal or ceramic?

Feel free to send me a private message by just clicking on my name and I'll give you my e-mail address. I get so much spam mail that I don't want to put it up here on the board.

As Eagle Heart said, I've written a book on the topic called Getting Hip. I wrote about my own experience and interviewed 10 other people around the world. I also have a web site called Sigrid's Recovery at www.sigridsrecovery.blogspot.com.

Good luck! Sigrid

#17361 - 09/22/05 07:18 AM Re: Hip Replacement
Dotsie Offline
Founder

Loc: Maryland
I also have a friend who has had a hip replacement. He finally broke down due to pain and went for it. He was about 45-46 at the time. He is doing beautifully. No more limp, no more pain. He's so glad he had it done. He's a very physically active man.

#17362 - 10/03/05 10:14 AM Re: Hip Replacement
Liz Bjronen Offline

Loc: Los Angeles, Calif
I am 61 and I had a hip replacement. It has been 5 months and I am back to normal..ready for horseback riding in a few months. I had tremendous pain in my hip for about 7 months, I dont know how I stood it, dragging my leg along like Chester in Gunsmoke. Having a hip replaced was one of the best decisions I ever made. The first week is the worst and the rest of the time is mostly annoying, with the walker and physical therapy and not being able to pick up what you have dropped. The hospital gives you all the physical therapy aids you will need as well as arranging pt thru your insurance. I have a small scar, as my doctor did a regular incision and then glued it together (no staples, no external stitches) He put in an extra big titanium steel replacement because I was very active before osteoarthritis in the hip. I was out today cutting my rose bushes and bending over with no pain at all. It does take some time to get the muscles back in shape. I got most of my information about the surgery from my doctor(20%) and from sources on the internet(80%)

#17363 - 11/25/05 04:59 PM Re: Hip Replacement
meenugupta Offline

Loc: LA, USA
I have a friend in UK who needed to get a hip replacement surgery and the waiting time in UK was about 9 months. If he would have got it privatly, he would have had to pay app. $20,000. He instead went to India to get the procedure done through a company. He paid a fraction of the cost and had a great surgery in an awesome hospital by amazing doctor. I have details of the company he used, they arranged for everything from point to point. If you wish to have the reference let me know. May be this would help

#17364 - 11/26/05 05:04 AM Re: Hip Replacement
ladybug Offline

Dear jordansgrandma, How are you doing now, we haven't heard from you.

Did you decide on your hip replacement surgery?

My mom had hers done last January, still has a little pain but nothing like before the surgery. She had just turned 79 when she had it done and was out and about five weeks after the surgery. In fact, whenever I'd call her she wasn't at home! She's still always out and about.

So let us know how you are okay?

#17365 - 12/02/05 11:02 AM Re: Hip Replacement
flipperjo Offline

Loc: ND
my 80 yr old mom had hip replacement last year. she was in the hosp, then rehab before coming home. she has been doing aqua-aerobics for several years so was in good shape before the surgery.

she obeyed doc's and therapist's orders to the letter and did the prescribed exercises faithfully (even when dad died 2 weeks after surgery) and is doing great now. she still goes to the Y for water aerobics and walks the track. i think she even does some of the weight machines. she's in a lot better shape than i am!

NABBW.com | Forum Testimonials | Newsletter Sign Up | View Our Newsletter | Advertise With Us
About the Founder | Media Room | Contact BWS
Resources for Women | Boomer Books | Recent Reads | Boomer Links | Our Voices | Home

Boomer Women Speak
9672 W US Highway 20, Galena, IL 61036 • info@boomerwomenspeak.com • 1-877-BOOMERZ

Boomer Women Speak cannot be held accountable for any personal relationships or meetings face-to-face that develop because of interaction with the forums. In addition, we cannot be held accountable for any information posted in Boomer Women Speak forums.

Boomer Women Speak does not represent or endorse the reliability of any information or offers in connection with advertisements,
articles or other information displayed on our site. Please do your own due diligence when viewing our information.

Privacy PolicyTerms of UseDisclaimer

Copyright 2002-2019 • Boomer Women SpeakBoomerCo Inc. • All rights reserved