The Soap lady meets the Senator
baby chicks
Angel
Quilted Christmas Stocking
Latest Quilt
Shelter from the storm
A new life
Who's Online
0 Registered (), 183 Guests and 2 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
3239 Members
63 Forums
16332 Topics
210704 Posts

Max Online: 409 @ 01/17/20 03:33 AM
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#102581 - 01/10/07 03:41 PM My Nuclear Stress Test
Pam R. Offline

Today was my yearly nuclear stress test that happens every January since my 2003 dreaded heart attack. It's a 5 hour test of needles, machines and the treadmill. I will admit however, that I get better and better each year on the treadmill due to the mandatory exercising prescribed by my cardiologist. I actually am living proof that exercising makes a difference. As much as I complain, today I was able to sustain a longer treadmill time, speed and incline. The PA and nurses were very impressed! I get my all test results at the end of the month. Wish me luck!

#102582 - 01/10/07 07:19 PM Re: My Nuclear Stress Test [Re: Pam R.]
Lola Offline

Loc: London UK
Good luck, Pam. Hope all continues to be well.

#102583 - 01/10/07 07:23 PM Re: My Nuclear Stress Test [Re: Lola]
chickadee Offline

Loc: Alabama
Sounds like the results are going to be great. The word 'treadmill' makes me squeamish. You are obviously taking good care of yourself and it's paying off.
Good Luck, Pam.

chick

#102584 - 01/10/07 07:35 PM Re: My Nuclear Stress Test [Re: chickadee]
Vicki M. Taylor Offline

Loc: Tampa, FL
Wow, that's awesome, Pam. Good luck with your test results.

I have Spinal Stenosis. They won't let me run the treadmill for my heart tests. I have to have it done chemically.
Your Writing Coach
Writing Coach Blog

#102585 - 01/10/07 09:39 PM Re: My Nuclear Stress Test [Re: Vicki M. Taylor]
chatty lady Offline
Writer

Loc: Nevada
Tells me Pam that I best get my lazy butt in gear, before I am sorry!

http://charleen-micheles.blogspot.com/

#102586 - 01/11/07 01:53 AM Re: My Nuclear Stress Test [Re: chatty lady]
Jane_Carroll Offline

Loc: Alabama
Pam,

How did it go?

#102587 - 01/11/07 03:02 AM Re: My Nuclear Stress Test [Re: Jane_Carroll]
Anno Offline

Loc: Minneapolis Minnesota
I had a heart attack almost 2 years ago now. Never heard of a nuclear stress test. Tell me more, if you please.

#102588 - 01/11/07 05:39 PM Re: My Nuclear Stress Test [Re: Anno]
Edelweiss Offline

Loc: American living in Europe
May I ask you, Pam and Anno, if you had any problems with your heart before; like an irregular heart beat or a racing heart? Do you have to take medication now, and how are you doing?
Sorry I'm bombarding you with these questions. It's just that Hubby has been having problems.

#102589 - 01/11/07 11:26 PM Re: My Nuclear Stress Test [Re: Edelweiss]
Anno Offline

Loc: Minneapolis Minnesota
Hannelore
No problem. Love to answer your questions. I never had any heart problems before, that I knew of, but I did have high blood pressure and had migrane headaches at least twice a week. After my heart attack, they noticed an irregular heart beat, a bit of a flutter really, but the doctors do not feel it caused my heart attack.

I take lots of medications. 2 for cholesteral, 2 for blood pressure and asprin and another blood thinner.

I am doing great. Seems, I had a genetic disposition to high bad cholesterol and the medications have helped with that. I have always eaten well, and now I eat even better. I walked an hour a day for a year, and have cut back to about 30 minutes, plus yoga.

If you are worried, go to the doctor. If you do not get the answers that match your questions, push more. I was very concerned about my blood pressure, because it had always been very low. That, combined with the migranes, convinced me, but not my doctor, that something was drastically wrong. Unfortunatley it took a heart attack for me to be heard.

http://www.multiplesystematrophyandshy-drager.blogspot.com

#102590 - 01/12/07 01:44 AM Re: My Nuclear Stress Test [Re: Anno]
Pam R. Offline

I will get all my results next Thursday and I will keep you all posted. I am feeling great since that horrible day of Nov. 7, 2003! No, I never had any heart problems, but did have high blood pressure that was controlled by medication. I also had severe migraines and as I have posted before in the past, I took a 50 mg. Imitrex for a migraine that night and 35 minutes later had what they call a "vaso-spasm" heart attack. I have heart damage but luckily I was at the ER within 40 or so minutes. I knew immediately that something was happening. They gave me the clot buster which probably saved my life then air lifted me to the medical center in our community. Now, for the past 3 years I have mandatory testing every January.

I do take lots of meds though. I take 2 cholesterol pills, 3 High Blood Pressure pills and aspirin. I am allergic to plavix, the blood thinner...so aspirin is all I can take.

Anno, a Nuclear Stress Test is when you are injected with nuclear medicine. You go under a scanner first to have slides determine how your heart muscle is funtioning. That takes about 20 minutes. Then, you go on the treadmill for about 15-20 minutes at different intervals of speed and incline. They then inject more nuclear medicine into your veins. You are hooked up to a EKG machine and a Dr. runs the whole program. They increase the speed and check your heart rate while asking if you are ok!! Then they speed up more and more, and so on. When the test is completed you then go under the scanner again for another 20 minutes that will determine what your heart muscle function is after exercising. The whole test, with waiting and processing takes about 4-5 hours! Much of the time is sitting in the waiting area and reading while the meds do what they should do, I guess. You cannot go near young children or pregnant women for 24 hours after the test since you are radioacitve! Anyway, it really isn't such a bad test to go through. In fact, I have gotten to know many of the techs and doctors in the department since I have had it done 4 times. Bring a good book, it will pass the time. I am surprised that you have not had one yet. Ask your cardiologist about it. I know many people, men and women who have it done regularly with heart problems.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

NABBW.com | Forum Testimonials | Newsletter Sign Up | View Our Newsletter | Advertise With Us
About the Founder | Media Room | Contact BWS
Resources for Women | Boomer Books | Recent Reads | Boomer Links | Our Voices | Home

Boomer Women Speak
9672 W US Highway 20, Galena, IL 61036 • info@boomerwomenspeak.com • 1-877-BOOMERZ

Boomer Women Speak cannot be held accountable for any personal relationships or meetings face-to-face that develop because of interaction with the forums. In addition, we cannot be held accountable for any information posted in Boomer Women Speak forums.

Boomer Women Speak does not represent or endorse the reliability of any information or offers in connection with advertisements,
articles or other information displayed on our site. Please do your own due diligence when viewing our information.

Privacy PolicyTerms of UseDisclaimer

Copyright 2002-2019 • Boomer Women SpeakBoomerCo Inc. • All rights reserved