The Soap lady meets the Senator
baby chicks
Angel
Quilted Christmas Stocking
Latest Quilt
Shelter from the storm
A new life
Who's Online
0 Registered (), 194 Guests and 2 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
3239 Members
63 Forums
16332 Topics
210704 Posts

Max Online: 409 @ 01/17/20 03:33 AM
Topic Options
#17699 - 05/29/04 10:30 PM Long Life
Agate Offline

Loc: Minnesota
I have noticed that an unusually large number of employees at my mom's nursing home smoke. I've been shaking my head wondering why people who are in the health profession smoke. I think I found the answer the other day.

I was talking to a nurse and saying how I'm too young (okay, I'm 47) to know so much about what happens when you get old. It scares me. I said, "I don't know how you guys who work here can deal with everything you see and know about old age."

The nurses reply was, "That's why we smoke, drink, and eat all the foods that clog your arteries. We don't want to live past 70."

What does everyone else think. Is it better to eat, drink and be merry and hopefully, not live too long? Or is better to deny yourself some of the things you enjoy and do some things you don't like (like exercise) so you stay healthy as long as possible?

#17700 - 05/30/04 12:56 AM Re: Long Life
chatty lady Offline
Writer

Loc: Nevada
Someone once said to me, "they want to die young and be a beautiful corpse." I don't know if dying before 70 qualifies for the beautiful part but I doubt worrying about what you eat etc. really helps and I've been called a health nut. I sort of feel now that I'm near 64, that I want to enjoy whatever is left and to hell with all the worrying....eat, drink and be merry for tomorrow you may die, is truer now than ever before.. [Mad] on this planet.

#17701 - 05/30/04 02:01 AM Re: Long Life
meredithbead Offline
The Divine Ms M

Loc: Orange County, California
I want to stay around as long as I'm physically and mentally sound. Have you ever seen someone die of lung cancer? They may go "early" but it's a horrible way to go, and not what I'd called "enjoyable." And the old canard "you are what you eat": you eat a lot of garbage and your body turns to garbage. I have a friend who is at least 200 lbs. overweight. She may enjoy eating everything she wants but she can't walk a city block, can hardly do anything and has numerous (and increasingly serious) health problems etc. etc. This is not the quality of life I'd choose. She's 55 and probably won't last long at this rate.

#17702 - 05/30/04 06:40 AM Re: Long Life
smilinize Offline

Loc: outer space
From what I've seen, age takes either your body or your mind. And you have to function until death without one of those aspects of life. Hey, I'm ready. Don't want to live to be old. Maintenance is too much trouble and what's to loo forward to?.
smile

#17703 - 05/30/04 09:08 PM Re: Long Life
Dotsie Offline
Founder

Loc: Maryland
I think you just have to be happy with who you are and what you do in life.

Every now and then my husband and I look at people who live high on the hog; lots of partying, frivolous spending, drinking, and burning the candle at both ends.

Then we say they'll probably live to be a hundred and we'll drop dead of a heart attack.

But it really doesn't matter. God isn't fair and we might just as well get use to it.

We have to live the lifestyle that suits us best and leave the rest to God. I still choose a healthier life style even if I may come across to others as a bore. [Big Grin]

#17704 - 05/31/04 05:35 AM Re: Long Life
DJ Offline

Loc: Ohio
The important thing is to develop yourself spiritually which is what's important in the next world. But why abuse yourself?

That particular nursing home sounds rather depressing, doesn't it? My folks are 86 and living in a retirement community that has an extended care wing if and when it becomes necessary. My dad said today that the important thing was being in a place with intelligent people -- they're making new friends every day and having the time of their lives there.

I don't think that old age necessarily equals ill health and maybe that's because I've had some excellent role models who've lived long, happy, healthy, productive lives.

Maybe your time is up when your number's up and it doesn't matter if you're well or ill, young or old.

#17705 - 06/01/04 12:51 AM Re: Long Life
Agate Offline

Loc: Minnesota
I took one of those tests one time that tells you how long you should live based on genetics and your lifestyle. I'm suppose to live to be 94. Who knows?

My biological father is 72 and still breaking horses and lifting weights. He's had prostrate cancer and eats and drinks all the things you're supposed to to keep the cancer from returning. My biological mother is 79 and has had breast cancer. She's not so good on eating the right things (she eats too little) but she walks 2-5 miles 3 days a week.

I get the feeling cancer is in my future but I figure I should take care of my body in case I do live to be 94. Trashing yourself doesn't mean you'll die young.

#17706 - 06/01/04 04:52 PM Re: Long Life
Dotsie Offline
Founder

Loc: Maryland
quote:
Originally posted by DJ:
The important thing is to develop yourself spiritually which is what's important in the next world. But why abuse yourself?

Love it!

DJ, you hit the nail on the head. Our time on earth is nothing in comparison to eternal life! Better make sure that's in order while hanging out here.

And you're right, why abuse yourself? It's so simply stated, but I think people who are abusing themselves don't see it that way and if they do, they can't do much about it.

#17707 - 06/02/04 11:08 PM Re: Long Life
Toni Offline

Loc: Pennsylvania
I think that each person must decide how 'he or she' is going to live. Each day we all make choices that will extend or shorten our lives. From reading the Bible I know that our Lord wants us to be healthy; physically, mentally and spiritually.

Because we each have a destiny, a plan in life, I think it might be wise to live a healthy lifestyle. Who knows what wonders He has planned for us tomorrow--next week--next year?

NABBW.com | Forum Testimonials | Newsletter Sign Up | View Our Newsletter | Advertise With Us
About the Founder | Media Room | Contact BWS
Resources for Women | Boomer Books | Recent Reads | Boomer Links | Our Voices | Home

Boomer Women Speak
9672 W US Highway 20, Galena, IL 61036 • info@boomerwomenspeak.com • 1-877-BOOMERZ

Boomer Women Speak cannot be held accountable for any personal relationships or meetings face-to-face that develop because of interaction with the forums. In addition, we cannot be held accountable for any information posted in Boomer Women Speak forums.

Boomer Women Speak does not represent or endorse the reliability of any information or offers in connection with advertisements,
articles or other information displayed on our site. Please do your own due diligence when viewing our information.

Privacy PolicyTerms of UseDisclaimer

Copyright 2002-2019 • Boomer Women SpeakBoomerCo Inc. • All rights reserved