The Soap lady meets the Senator
baby chicks
Angel
Quilted Christmas Stocking
Latest Quilt
Shelter from the storm
A new life
Who's Online
0 Registered (), 101 Guests and 2 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
3239 Members
63 Forums
16332 Topics
210704 Posts

Max Online: 409 @ 01/17/20 03:33 AM
Topic Options
#185098 - 06/24/09 08:31 PM Muscle Soreness after working out
hipster2020 Offline

So here is the question ladies. I fell down the stairs a couple months ago and bruised my knee cap but luckily nothing was broken or otherwise seriously wrong. Before falling I had been jogging everyday and it is something I miss so I decided to go for a walk/light jog for the last 2 days and I am in so much pain. Surprisingly the only part of my body that doesn't hurt is my knee. I feel as though I have never worked out in my life. Any suggestions for pain relief other than stretching and aspirin? Also I had thought about muscle relaxers but don't feel comfortable taking anything super strong and would prefer a natural remedy....all suggestions welcome!

#185104 - 06/24/09 08:39 PM Re: Muscle Soreness after working out [Re: hipster2020]
Princess Lenora Offline

Loc: Colorado
I can't help if you don't want pharmaceuticals. I like my pain relief full strength from a pill!

#185387 - 06/28/09 12:52 PM Re: Muscle Soreness after working out [Re: ]
browser57 Offline

Loc: Michigan
I find that doing a lite workout (warming up the muscles) helps. After I get over the first few minutes of discomfort - I actually feel much better. Of course, ibuprofen, too. But, just taking it easy for a few days - and keep those muscles active.

#185695 - 07/02/09 07:03 PM Re: Muscle Soreness after working out [Re: browser57]
Dotsie Offline
Founder

Loc: Maryland
IS it possible that everything around the knee has atrophied a bit since you havne't been exercising? If so, I'd recommend walking only. See if that works. Then maybe ease your way back to running?

#185750 - 07/03/09 10:21 AM Re: Muscle Soreness after working out [Re: Dotsie]
chatty lady Offline
Writer

Loc: Nevada
Welcome Hipster2020,
Try working out in water, run in water, there is no injury that way to muscles, nerves, liagments, nothing. And the workout is just as beneficial without any soreness afterwards.

http://charleen-micheles.blogspot.com/

#186399 - 07/13/09 04:36 PM Re: Muscle Soreness after working out [Re: chatty lady]
hipster2020 Offline

Thank you to everyone for your suggestions. I have been feeling better and taking it a little easier in the last two weeks. I also got a great recommendation from a woman in my building who suggested taking an epsom salt bath. I originally protested because having used it in the past it was not one of my favorite remedies but she assured me that epsom salt products had been improved so I tried it again. To my surprise I found a great product called pepsom sports that has a spearmint scent (I liked this so much more than the regular epsom salkt and adding oil because it makes the bathtub slimy). Anyways I just wanted to share that it really helped soothe my sore muscles. Plus now that I am feeling better I am going to keep soaking in it because it is 20 minutes of "me time" and it is so relaxing. Again thank you for all of your suggestions and support and I look forward to starting running at full strength again soon.

#186924 - 07/21/09 08:44 PM Re: Muscle Soreness after working out [Re: hipster2020]
WellnessGR Offline

Hipster, glad to hear you are feeling better and that the salt baths are helping! Sounds like you prefer the natural way of healing things. If you still need help reducing the discomfort in your knees, you might like to research a scientifically based, but natural product called Active Body by Te Ame (http://te-ame.com). It's proven to reduce muscle discomfort and aid in recovery. Yeah I work for the company that makes it, but a boomer woman I work with used it after too much interval running on a track and felt better. She took one tablet in the am, one at lunch and one in the pm. By the next day, she was fine and could run again (though she waited 4 days before doing track workouts again). She reports feeling well enough to complete her first mini triathlon (this weekend!)!

NABBW.com | Forum Testimonials | Newsletter Sign Up | View Our Newsletter | Advertise With Us
About the Founder | Media Room | Contact BWS
Resources for Women | Boomer Books | Recent Reads | Boomer Links | Our Voices | Home

Boomer Women Speak
9672 W US Highway 20, Galena, IL 61036 • info@boomerwomenspeak.com • 1-877-BOOMERZ

Boomer Women Speak cannot be held accountable for any personal relationships or meetings face-to-face that develop because of interaction with the forums. In addition, we cannot be held accountable for any information posted in Boomer Women Speak forums.

Boomer Women Speak does not represent or endorse the reliability of any information or offers in connection with advertisements,
articles or other information displayed on our site. Please do your own due diligence when viewing our information.

Privacy PolicyTerms of UseDisclaimer

Copyright 2002-2019 • Boomer Women SpeakBoomerCo Inc. • All rights reserved