The Soap lady meets the Senator
baby chicks
Angel
Quilted Christmas Stocking
Latest Quilt
Shelter from the storm
A new life
Who's Online
0 Registered (), 200 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
3239 Members
63 Forums
16332 Topics
210704 Posts

Max Online: 409 @ 01/17/20 03:33 AM
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 >
Topic Options
#124510 - 07/28/07 04:44 AM Bad,sinful foods you don't eat & don't like
orchid Offline

Loc: British Columbia, Canada
There are bad foods I am attracted to. Well, you know... Pastries, goat & brie cheese, etc. I need to live in Mongolia to never, never touch / want them.

But there are foods that I don't voluntarily buy/order to have myself. 'Cause I genuinely never enjoyed it for decades:

*deep fried foods --I only have deep fried foods several times a year. Usually it's fries on the side with entree. Alot of deep fried fish/seafood with deep fried batter is abomination to me..because to me, it covers up the natural real taste of the seafood itself. So fish and chips turns me off. But grilled/baked/steamed/raw fish turns me on! Yea, true I don't care alot for deep fried egg rolls. There's rice paper rolls or all sort of dim sum /appetizers that are yummier.

*carbonated drinks-- pop. Honest I just pass up on any can and grab for the fruit juices/drinks. Carbonation bloats me...leaving me no rm. to enjoy other different food.

*beer --never cared for the taste. Ever. At university I failed the pub night out. Wine any day, please. I have no clue about cocktails and martinis.

*chewing/bubblegum- honest even as a kid, I never wanted much of it. Leaves a tired taste in mouth after 10 min. of chewing gum. Ho-hum.

*pecan pie or any sugar pie. Please explain to me the joy of this. Way too much sugar. Give me a natural fruit pie/flan/tarte.

I'm sorry if I bashed your favourite food. I have a long, long list of favourite foods. But I wanna hear everyone's list. Not food that you just simply dislike.

It has to be calorie decadent /sinful food that you don't eat. because you genuinely don't like the food.

#124511 - 07/28/07 04:25 PM Re: Bad,sinful foods you don't eat & don't like [Re: orchid]
Cookie Offline

Loc: USA
I feel pretty much the same about the list of foods you mentioned, Orchid. I very rarely eat fried foods, no soda, and pecan pie is one dessert that I just don't like it because it is way too sweet. Fish......I dislike fish anyway you fix it. It just taste too fishy! I don't like sausages, lima beans, or pea soup.

I do like a nice glass of wine once in awhile, and love hot tea with honey. I can eat beef everyday, but only homegrown beef. I can't eat the beef from the store. It smells and tastes funny to me. As I said before, I love fresh fruit & veggies when in season. I pretty much like all desserts...cakes, cookies,pastries, etc. ( and love to make them) but can't eat them very often anymore. I seem to be gaining weight this year by leaps and bounds just by looking at pictures of food! I contribute that to menopause, ruffle-snuffle!

I won't buy snacks of any kind....potato chips & ice cream in particular. They are like a drug for us. We will eat it until it is all gone and then we want more! However, I will have a handful of chips or a scoop of ice cream at a picnic, but no more.

#124512 - 07/28/07 04:42 PM Re: Bad,sinful foods you don't eat & don't like [Re: Cookie]
Dotsie Offline
Founder

Loc: Maryland
This is a tough one for me because I happen to like most bad, sinful food. That doesn't mean I eat it all the time, but I like sweets, carbs and all the rest that's bad for you. I also like fresh fruits and veggies so this is my favotire time or year. Our market is loaded with all the good stuff!

I must admit that we had company for dinner last night and our guest brought home made brownies with walnuts. They are so good. It's her specialty. I had bought vanilla ice cream to serve with fresh strawberries and blueberris, but anded up having the ice cream with the brownies instead. I had to freeze the brownies because I'd keep eating them until they were gone, and she wouldn't take them home. However, I've been known to eat a frozen brownie in my past.

Sorry, I can't think of a sinful thing I don't enjoy, except the deep fried foods. YUK. I've never fried one thing in all the 28 years of my marriage.

#124513 - 07/29/07 07:48 PM Re: Bad,sinful foods you don't eat & don't like
NewLeaf Offline

Loc: Deland, Florida
Have no use for Chocolate....its too sweet and chalky, don't like steamed or broiled fish, too fishy! Could eat fish three times a day fried or sauteed.

Don't like candy or pastries very often, there again, too sweet. Love nuts and seeds.

Love red meat, fish, fowl and veggies. Fried dill pickles, green tomatoes and eggplant.

#124514 - 07/30/07 12:10 AM Re: Bad,sinful foods you don't eat & don't like [Re: NewLeaf]
orchid Offline

Loc: British Columbia, Canada
Quote:

don't like steamed or broiled fish, too fishy! Could eat fish three times a day fried or sauteed.

Then you couldn't stand sushi or sashimi. Too bad. I remember I saw 2 women (in their 40's, my age) when they were appalled to see an Asian mother feed her child (approx. 2-3 yrs.) old some sushi.

Fried dill pickles?

When we were cycling ana camping along the way with our panniers all over the Eastern Canadian maritime provinces, we were disappointed in most towns outside of Halifax (capital city of Nova Scotia), their local fresh seafood was...deep-fried. Well, I should say...appalled. I can't taste the goodness of seafood if covered up in greasy batter.

I don't even enjoy tempura either....the Japanese light deep-frying with panko crumbs for shrimp, cut veggies, etc. To me, it's a cheap, unhealthy way to convince non-Asians to like Japanese food.

You'll find me ordering a bento box of Japanese food goodies --without the tempura option.

My dislike for deep fried food probably started as a child. We rarely prepared deep-fried food at home. My mother was paranoid about dangerous hot oil with 6 children running around. She heard enough stories from my father who was a restaurant cook. We didn't have a kitchen with door to lock.

#124515 - 07/30/07 10:56 PM Re: Bad,sinful foods you don't eat & don't like
muskateerette Offline

Loc: southwestern Idaho
Oh my goodness Dotsie can I ever relate to you! There is very little in the world of food that I don't like. The challenge comes in that my "body" doesn't like it all and I can be absolutely miserable after eating things like fried foods, nuts, chocolate, etc. Sadly, I've always been this way so I can't blame it on the age thing...

[url=http://theheartofthehomeblog.blogspot.com
"A recipe and hospitality blog"

#124516 - 07/31/07 09:34 AM Re: Bad,sinful foods you don't eat & don't like [Re: muskateerette]
Edelweiss Offline

Loc: American living in Europe
I could live off of sweets. Cooky dough, icecream, nuts and chocolate. You name it...
I have cut down to a few chocolate pieces a week, an icecream every two or three weeks, no cake,..maybe a cooky per day...I'm crying while I write this.......
I may not start on salt things. Just writing the word salt makes my mouth water.
You ladies who are picky food eaters don't know how lucky you are.

#124517 - 08/01/07 03:44 PM Re: Bad,sinful foods you don't eat & don't like [Re: Edelweiss]
Laurel Offline

Loc: Oklahoma, USA
I haven't met many sinful foods I didn't like. I try not to eat fried foods as much any more, except okra and french fries. Yum.

I eat pretty healthy.

My husband inherited my mother-n-law's sweet tooth and he keeps candy and cookies around. I wouldn't eat as much if he didn't buy it.

I could never eat sushi. Gotta have my meat cooked before I'll eat it and yeah, I love fried fish. I don't cook it that way but it is delicious.

I have a Hamilton Beach grill and that's what I use to cook my Salmon and chicken breasts. If you marinate them over night they stay moist.

#124518 - 08/02/07 11:02 PM Re: Bad,sinful foods you don't eat & don't like [Re: Laurel]
meredithbead Offline
The Divine Ms M

Loc: Orange County, California
I agree Orchid with all your "don't like-or-eat" bad foods. I'd also add

*meat, all forms
*most white-flour desserts (which includes all those breakfast cereals) -- unless they contain lots of chocolate, creamy filling and fruit -- in which case I probably like them, but rarely have them
*white bread, muffins, rolls, biscuits etc.
*anything pickled. Not sure if pickling is bad, but it doesn't agree with me.
*most pre-fab foods or mixes, especially ones with all those chemicals. I buy very little in major supermarkets, period.
*jello
*cool whip -- ok, it goes in the pre-fab/chemical category, but I had to mention it as one of the worst imitation "foods" I have ever tasted.
*Anything with a high sugar/vinegar profile -- this would include ketchup and most commercial salad dressings.

And the stuff that I love but rarely have, because I know it isn't good for me --

*I'm a sucker for any combination of chocolate, raspberry and peanuts, regardless of what form it takes.
*Premium ice cream
*anything creamy or cheesy, provided it's real cream and real cheese. This includes fresh pudding, pizza, and brie.

I've never been a big fan of starchy foods, although I prepare a variety of whole grains (which are healthy) with different spices.

As a child, the only reason (for me) to eat bread, pasta or potatoes was because Mom wouldn't let me eat butter straight.

Poet and essayist

#124519 - 08/03/07 03:32 AM Re: Bad,sinful foods you don't eat & don't like [Re: meredithbead]
chatty lady Offline
Writer

Loc: Nevada
I am a nut for good food, cooking and eating it. BUT I have to watch. I do however have a little taste, at least one taste of anything I like every now and again. That way I never feel deprived and can honestly say, "NO thank you thats all I need." Moderation in anything is the key. Even the bad foods can't hurt you if eaten in moderation.

http://charleen-micheles.blogspot.com/

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 >

NABBW.com | Forum Testimonials | Newsletter Sign Up | View Our Newsletter | Advertise With Us
About the Founder | Media Room | Contact BWS
Resources for Women | Boomer Books | Recent Reads | Boomer Links | Our Voices | Home

Boomer Women Speak
9672 W US Highway 20, Galena, IL 61036 • info@boomerwomenspeak.com • 1-877-BOOMERZ

Boomer Women Speak cannot be held accountable for any personal relationships or meetings face-to-face that develop because of interaction with the forums. In addition, we cannot be held accountable for any information posted in Boomer Women Speak forums.

Boomer Women Speak does not represent or endorse the reliability of any information or offers in connection with advertisements,
articles or other information displayed on our site. Please do your own due diligence when viewing our information.

Privacy PolicyTerms of UseDisclaimer

Copyright 2002-2019 • Boomer Women SpeakBoomerCo Inc. • All rights reserved