The Soap lady meets the Senator
baby chicks
Angel
Quilted Christmas Stocking
Latest Quilt
Shelter from the storm
A new life
Who's Online
0 Registered (), 66 Guests and 0 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
3239 Members
63 Forums
16332 Topics
210704 Posts

Max Online: 409 @ 01/17/20 03:33 AM
Topic Options
#16207 - 03/20/04 02:28 AM Trader Joe's
meredithbead Offline
The Divine Ms M

Loc: Orange County, California
Someone asked about Trader Joe's and I can't remember where, so I'm posting here as Food topics fits under Diet. This is my favorite store so here's a brief history and description.

They started in Pasadena 30-40 years ago (hey, I'm not their PR person, so that's close enough.) For at least 10 years, they were only in Southern California but then expanded throughout the state. I believe they've moved to other states only in the last 10 years or so.

They carry health and specialty foods, cheese, nuts,wine, imported beer, vitamins, produce and a small selection of personal and pet products. They're smaller than the typical health food stores (at least the ones here) because they usually stock only one version of a given product; i.e., they have soy cheese enchiladas and real cheese enchiladas, but only one brand of each. At least half of what they carry is either their own private label, or a product made specifically for them. A lot of their stuff is not available elsewhere. I find their prices to be better than both other health food stores and supermarkets, for comparable quality.

My favorites are the many vegetarian (no additives or preservatives) frozen nukable entrees. They come in various ethnic cuisines and fusions. Second favorites are their frozen desserts (cheese cake, mousse cake, etc.)

#16208 - 03/20/04 05:26 AM Re: Trader Joe's
Dotsie Offline
Founder

Loc: Maryland
Meredith, we had a frozen, veggie stir fry from the Trader tonight! I'm heading there tomorrow. [Wink]

I'm going to have to get the names off the products and share some of our favorites.

You would have to tell me the desserts are good, wouldn't you? I have tried the biscotti, chocolate cookie pretzels, yogurt covered raisins, and a few others...all good!

#16209 - 03/21/04 08:41 AM Re: Trader Joe's
meredithbead Offline
The Divine Ms M

For absolute dessert decadence, I vote for the ice cream cake Mudd Pie. It's best to share this with a lot of people so you're not tempted to eat it all yourself!

#16210 - 03/22/04 12:32 AM Re: Trader Joe's
chatty lady Offline
Writer

Loc: Nevada
Trader Joes puts out a sale type paper every other month and their usual good prices are even better. I actually purchased a freezer to take advantage of the really great sales. I am now a full vegetarian (last 6 months.) I buy my groceries at only two places, Trader Joes and Wild Oats, they have more fresh foods at Wild Oats than Joes has. I bought my meats there when the mad cow scare came, before I went full Vegan.Its a bit more expensive but no worrys of disease or any preservatives. I have my sons family and most of my friends shopping Trader Joes and Wild Oats. Fan-dam-tastic!! [Eek!]

#16211 - 03/22/04 03:50 AM Re: Trader Joe's
Dotsie Offline
Founder

No Wild Oats around here. Perhaps it will come soon.

FOr those who shop at Trader Joe's I'll share one of my favorite salad recipes.

Purchase:
fresh grated Parm. cheese
Romaine lettuce
Chicken marinated in a vinaigrette with Rosemary
Romano Caesar drressing
Pita Chips, parmesan, garlic and herb flavored

Break the lettuce, add the cheese, cut up the chicken and add, break up the pita chips and add, then toss in the dressing.

This salad is the most flavorful salad I've ever had. All the tastes mixed together is scrumptious!

ENJOY!

I wish I could claim this as my own, but one day while I was shopping they were giving out samples. I immediately bought one of everything and continue to do so.

We eat lots of baked, boneless chicken. I've poured the dressing on the chicked while I was baking it and it was delicious.

#16212 - 03/23/04 01:26 PM Re: Trader Joe's
meredithbead Offline
The Divine Ms M

A few years back, TJs had a contest. They had two products: vegetarian chili, and corn bread mix, and the contest was to make up recipes and inventive uses for each of them. I submitted about 8 different recipes and I won!! [Big Grin] a grocery bag filled to the brim with products chosen by the contest judge/product chef (after consulting with me [Wink] )

I buy all my packaged food at TJs. I get most produce at the Farmers Markets where I sell my jewelry. There's another local health food store, Henry's, where I buy bulk bin products like farina, etc.

#16213 - 03/23/04 07:04 PM Re: Trader Joe's
Dotsie Offline
Founder

Meredith, want to share your winning recipe with us? I think there are some vegetarians in here. [Big Grin]

#16214 - 03/24/04 02:55 AM Re: Trader Joe's
chatty lady Offline
Writer

I am a vegetarian and have just recipes in the recipe section, ladies to die for. [Big Grin] Bon-A-Petite

#16215 - 03/24/04 02:57 AM Re: Trader Joe's
chatty lady Offline
Writer

Dah, sorry for the misprint....hehe

Just put recipes in the recipe section!!!Yes thats what I meant to say... [Big Grin]

#16216 - 03/24/04 03:53 AM Re: Trader Joe's
meredithbead Offline
The Divine Ms M

I make up recipes as I go! Since I knew I NEEDED to win this contest [Wink] , I bought about 4 cans of chili and 4 cornbread mixes, and made a different version every other day. I never write anything down, but I'll try to remember both the winner and some of the also-rans, and post it in Recipes.

And I also bribed the judge [Cool] by bringing in some of the finished products for her to taste, because some of my creations sound kinda weird on paper, but they really work.

NABBW.com | Forum Testimonials | Newsletter Sign Up | View Our Newsletter | Advertise With Us
About the Founder | Media Room | Contact BWS
Resources for Women | Boomer Books | Recent Reads | Boomer Links | Our Voices | Home

Boomer Women Speak
9672 W US Highway 20, Galena, IL 61036 • info@boomerwomenspeak.com • 1-877-BOOMERZ

Boomer Women Speak cannot be held accountable for any personal relationships or meetings face-to-face that develop because of interaction with the forums. In addition, we cannot be held accountable for any information posted in Boomer Women Speak forums.

Boomer Women Speak does not represent or endorse the reliability of any information or offers in connection with advertisements,
articles or other information displayed on our site. Please do your own due diligence when viewing our information.

Privacy PolicyTerms of UseDisclaimer

Copyright 2002-2019 • Boomer Women SpeakBoomerCo Inc. • All rights reserved