The Soap lady meets the Senator
baby chicks
Angel
Quilted Christmas Stocking
Latest Quilt
Shelter from the storm
A new life
Who's Online
0 Registered (), 65 Guests and 2 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
3239 Members
63 Forums
16332 Topics
210704 Posts

Max Online: 409 @ 01/17/20 03:33 AM
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#207011 - 08/22/10 03:34 AM Healthy Evening Snacks
Di Offline

Loc: NM, transplant from NJ
Got to wondering what everyone here eats as a nice, evening snack. Oftentimes, just before bed, I need "something".

Lately it's been Lowfat Cream Cheese on Club Crackers (either Whole Grain or Low Fat), Organic Soy milk made with my own chocolate syrup (Honey, Cocoa Powder, Water, Vanilla). This is just enough to get me thru the night without feeling to full or weighed down with heavy stuff.

What's on your snack menu?

#207015 - 08/22/10 01:11 PM Re: Healthy Evening Snacks [Re: Di]
Eagle Heart Offline

Loc: Canada
I almost always have to have something to eat before bed, or else I wake up around 2am so hungry I can't sleep.

My faves: a bowl of oatmeal (I can't eat the stuff for breakfast, but really enjoy it as a bedtime snack); a bowl of cold cereal (my current fave is a Kashi granola type with cranberries and almonds); a slice of rye bread with jam; occasionally, when we've had a very light supper, I'll make myself a small plate of nachos. All of these help me to sleep through the night.

Both hubby and I have discovered that we can't handle pork at night anymore...if we're going to have it, we have to eat it at lunchtime. And I can't handle dairy products before bed, except a very small bit of milk in my cereal.

(Maya Angelou)

#207025 - 08/22/10 11:01 PM Re: Healthy Evening Snacks [Re: Eagle Heart]
orchid Offline

Loc: British Columbia, Canada
After supper and before bed, I tend to have:

fresh fruit
raisins
tea with skim milk (I might be ingesting 2 c.)
a small slice of soy cheese or small slice of artisan, low-fat bread. We occasionally have normal, higher fat cheese, but I TRY to limit my self to a thin slice.
Swedish grain/rye crackers ..try with gourmet mustard. Believe me, it's an interesting way to go.

We don't buy chips, other cereal, etc. for home. I was never much of jam, jelly person. My oatmeal is the only cereal we buy for home. I prefer it that way. Of course it doesn't stop us from having dessert at a cafe/restaurant ...

#207045 - 08/23/10 11:42 PM Re: Healthy Evening Snacks [Re: orchid]
chatty lady Offline
Writer

Loc: Nevada
Type in to your browser:

www.bedtimesnacks.com You will not only get great ideas for bedtime but it talks about healthy foods that won't 'keep you awake' or that will 'help you sleep sounder' at night.

http://charleen-micheles.blogspot.com/

#207119 - 08/27/10 02:22 AM Re: Healthy Evening Snacks [Re: chatty lady]
Anne Holmes Administrator Offline
Boomer in Chief

Loc: Illinois
Hmmm, interesting topic.

I have never been one to need a bedtime snack, but in trying to follow Chatty's link I came across a great article on healthy bedtime snacks, and I thought I would share it:

Bedtime snacks that help you fall asleep.

Based on what I read, it sounds like you are all doing fine... though the article has a few more suggestions.

I guess for me, I think a nice mug of decaf Earl Grey tea - black - sounds soothing...
www.boomerlifestyle.com
www.boomerco.com

#207132 - 08/27/10 05:57 PM Re: Healthy Evening Snacks [Re: Anne Holmes]
orchid Offline

I don't really need a bedtime snack. I do have something after supper..even if only a nice cup of tea or 2, with abit of milk.

#207137 - 08/27/10 11:46 PM Re: Healthy Evening Snacks [Re: orchid]
Eagle Heart Offline

Loc: Canada
There are many factors involved in needing/not needing a bedtime snack. One is when we eat supper...we have our supper at 5pm, and I usually don't eat breakfast until around 8am...that's 15 hours. If I don't eat something before bed, I will almost always wake up around 2 or 3am, so hungry that I simply can't sleep and have to go downstairs and eat something. Having it before bed saves me the trouble.

Hubby can go all the way from supper to breakfast, but he's up at 5am, so maybe that's part of the difference.

About 25 years ago I was severely underweight (98lb with my jeans and shoes on) and we determined that one of the problems we had to address was that I often ignored my hunger (I was rather poor in those days) and would get so hungry that I couldn't eat without throwing it back up. The nutritionist advised me to try to eat smaller meals more often, which is still what both hubby and I do even now.

Anne, I read through that article. Interesting choices! I always think of eggs as an energy booster and have never thought of having eggs before bed (though I do have an egg almost every morning for breakfast). Many of the things on the list for bedtime snacks are on my list for energy-providing foods, stuff I tend to stay away from at bedtime.

We just bought some whole-grain flax artisan bread...that's been a yummy bedtime snack, esp with hubby's homemade jam.

(Maya Angelou)

#207344 - 09/03/10 07:58 AM Re: Healthy Evening Snacks [Re: Eagle Heart]
chatty lady Offline
Writer

Loc: Nevada
I have been trying what my friend and her husband do, eat nothing after 8:00 p.m. You can have all the water you want but nothing else. It makes your breakfast, lunch and dinner very important. I hope my appetite comes back soon, I eat but very little right now.

http://charleen-micheles.blogspot.com/

#207375 - 09/03/10 09:02 PM Re: Healthy Evening Snacks [Re: Eagle Heart]
orchid Offline

Originally Posted By: Eagle Heart
Anne, I read through that article. Interesting choices! I always think of eggs as an energy booster and have never thought of having eggs before bed (though I do have an egg almost every morning for breakfast). Many of the things on the list for bedtime snacks are on my list for energy-providing foods, stuff I tend to stay away from at bedtime.

We just bought some whole-grain flax artisan bread...that's been a yummy bedtime snack, esp with hubby's homemade jam.

I actually will prepare a small egg dish for supper..it's a great protein substitute for any meat.

I might have this type of supper 2-3 times per month. I would scramble 1-2 egg white with veggies, onion and garlic. Pretty fast and simple. Can add fresh herbs.

Or I steam egg white with abit of meat, soy sacue, etc. It's a savoury egg custard...a homemade Asian dish that is common in Chinese and Japanese cuisine but not often found on restaurant menus. Again very low fat, since the egg puffs up with steam.

No, I wouldn't think of having an egg for night time snack.
chatty I can drink up to 2 cups of tea in evening with skim milk and I can still sleep fine.

#210729 - 01/27/11 07:46 PM Re: Healthy Evening Snacks [Re: orchid]
TheStoryLady Offline

Loc: Missouri
I don't need a bedtime snack.

But I enjoy dessert. Flavored yogurt sometimes works, or a graham cracker with some peanut butter.

(I admit sometimes it just HAS to be cookies though!)

Keepin' it real!

Ronda
#1 bestselling author, speaker, storyteller & mentor
changing the world one story at a time!
http://ProfitableStorytelling.com/amazon

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

NABBW.com | Forum Testimonials | Newsletter Sign Up | View Our Newsletter | Advertise With Us
About the Founder | Media Room | Contact BWS
Resources for Women | Boomer Books | Recent Reads | Boomer Links | Our Voices | Home

Boomer Women Speak
9672 W US Highway 20, Galena, IL 61036 • info@boomerwomenspeak.com • 1-877-BOOMERZ

Boomer Women Speak cannot be held accountable for any personal relationships or meetings face-to-face that develop because of interaction with the forums. In addition, we cannot be held accountable for any information posted in Boomer Women Speak forums.

Boomer Women Speak does not represent or endorse the reliability of any information or offers in connection with advertisements,
articles or other information displayed on our site. Please do your own due diligence when viewing our information.

Privacy PolicyTerms of UseDisclaimer

Copyright 2002-2019 • Boomer Women SpeakBoomerCo Inc. • All rights reserved