The Soap lady meets the Senator
baby chicks
Angel
Quilted Christmas Stocking
Latest Quilt
Shelter from the storm
A new life
Who's Online
0 Registered (), 93 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
3239 Members
63 Forums
16332 Topics
210704 Posts

Max Online: 409 @ 01/17/20 03:33 AM
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
#156094 - 08/12/08 05:50 PM Pg. 26 of AARP's magazine
Di Offline

Loc: NM, transplant from NJ
If anyone has the Sept/Oct issue, the back exercises on page 26 are what I have begun to do every morning before I get out of bed.

Granted, they say to do them on a mat, but I don't have one and my bed is firm enough.

During the "dead bug" one, I use 1 lb cans of veggies to lift as I move my arms. Plus, I add my own exercises to these.

I have felt WONDERFUL after only about a week. No hip or back problems and I am sleeping better. Plus, I use our Cardio Fit machine about 3 x's/day.

Now if I can only lose my upper arm "woogies" I'll be happy as a clam!!

#156103 - 08/12/08 08:45 PM Re: Pg. 26 of AARP's magazine [Re: Di]
keyholes Offline

Loc: Ohio the heart of it all
Do you know how to get a copy of the AARP mag? Do they sell it on newstands? (I don't quite yet qualify for a subscription I think...I'm not yet 55.) I would love to see those back exercises. Talk about coinkydinks...I just mentioned on another thread I hurt my back a number of years ago. I still get a lower back stiffness from that injury and would like to see if those exercises could help.

#156108 - 08/12/08 09:28 PM Re: Pg. 26 of AARP's magazine [Re: keyholes]
Di Offline

Loc: NM, transplant from NJ
You only need to be 50 to be a member. I've been an honorary member since DH turned 50 in 2000. I know nothing about getting issues on a newsstand.

But go to AARP.org and do a search. If you do not find it, call them! They may just fax you a copy!

#156172 - 08/13/08 06:33 AM Re: Pg. 26 of AARP's magazine [Re: Di]
gims Offline

Loc: USA
"woogies" ... is that what they are called...? you are talking about the flapping flesh, right?
Never heard that term before, but you can bet I'll be using it!!!
LOL....
Can one get rid of them, BTW?

#156189 - 08/13/08 11:11 AM Re: Pg. 26 of AARP's magazine [Re: gims]
Anno Offline

Loc: Minneapolis Minnesota
Yes, gims, you can get rid of them, but plan on lifting weights every other day for a looooong time. They are tough little buggers, aren't they?

Keyholes, I can't believe they haven't solicited you! Aarp has sent me info since I turned 48.

Google them today!

http://www.multiplesystematrophyandshy-drager.blogspot.com

#156237 - 08/13/08 06:53 PM Re: Pg. 26 of AARP's magazine [Re: Anno]
Q_ball Offline

Loc: Ozarks
Woogies??? LOL I have found a painless way to tame the Woogies. 2 items are necessary..a recliner & 5 pound weights. First I'm a big believer in pleasant exercise. OK, get in the recliner and kick back, do take your weights w/ you. LOL Then put your arms up along side your head & Elbows at the top of the back of the recliner bent down toward the floor. Weights in hand, raise arms to a straight position..repeat arms one at a time. I do this nightly, through a one hour program only during commercials. I suppose if a suitable recliner isn't available lying across a bed on your back might work. AT 50 in a couple months, I have gone sleeveless all I want this summer, even to my son's wedding & just about always get compliments on my arms. Give this a try and you can or should feel the working of that lazy bottom of the arm muscle. I also, do curls while watching Tv at night, and lift weight straight out to the side. Up/Down like one is attempting to take flight (good shoulders). HAPPY Woogie removal

#156261 - 08/13/08 10:54 PM Re: Pg. 26 of AARP's magazine [Re: Q_ball]
gims Offline

Loc: USA
hmmm, I don't have a recliner, and no TV to speak of - cable still out. I have the weights, tho. Can you give me about how many reps you do each turn, each day? Also, by 'curls,' you mean bending the elbows, bringing hands/weights to the chest, right? (You can tell how much I exercise, can't you?)

1. Overhead lifts (whole arm or forearm?)
2. Curls
3. Side lift
Are these the 3?

#156267 - 08/13/08 11:32 PM Re: Pg. 26 of AARP's magazine [Re: gims]
Q_ball Offline

Gims,
curls are bringing the arm up from the elbow.
The overhead thing is easier on you when your upper arm is supported y the back of the recliner, yet you can feel the same pull of the woogies. LOL That still cracks me up. Side lift is just that sitting or stnading lifting the arms straight up to shoulder level. REPS, I do at least 50/arm of each..more on a long show. AS far as TV, sometie I use quick paced music too..that's really fun and tends to get my A- hummbutt out of the chair. LOL I also do leg lifts in the chair w/ ankle weights.

#156270 - 08/13/08 11:40 PM Re: Pg. 26 of AARP's magazine [Re: Q_ball]
Q_ball Offline

sorry the above sounded like pig-latin, DH was yelling for HELP poor thing threw a belt on the mower.

#156273 - 08/14/08 12:25 AM Re: Pg. 26 of AARP's magazine [Re: Q_ball]
Q_ball Offline

PS- When I started this Gims, it was just after my transplant and with one pound wts, I was lucky to get 5 done. So start slow w/ 5 or 10 reps and work up adding more as you seem to have energy left after your usual # of reps.
Even start with one vs 5 pound weights if it makes you too sore.
smile
After all we're toning not training.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >

NABBW.com | Forum Testimonials | Newsletter Sign Up | View Our Newsletter | Advertise With Us
About the Founder | Media Room | Contact BWS
Resources for Women | Boomer Books | Recent Reads | Boomer Links | Our Voices | Home

Boomer Women Speak
9672 W US Highway 20, Galena, IL 61036 • info@boomerwomenspeak.com • 1-877-BOOMERZ

Boomer Women Speak cannot be held accountable for any personal relationships or meetings face-to-face that develop because of interaction with the forums. In addition, we cannot be held accountable for any information posted in Boomer Women Speak forums.

Boomer Women Speak does not represent or endorse the reliability of any information or offers in connection with advertisements,
articles or other information displayed on our site. Please do your own due diligence when viewing our information.

Privacy PolicyTerms of UseDisclaimer

Copyright 2002-2019 • Boomer Women SpeakBoomerCo Inc. • All rights reserved