The Soap lady meets the Senator
baby chicks
Angel
Quilted Christmas Stocking
Latest Quilt
Shelter from the storm
A new life
Who's Online
0 Registered (), 56 Guests and 0 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
3239 Members
63 Forums
16332 Topics
210704 Posts

Max Online: 409 @ 01/17/20 03:33 AM
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#17148 - 11/11/05 06:36 PM The last 10 lbs......
CrosstitchQueen Offline

Loc: Sanford, Florida
Hi gals --

Here's the story......I had a hysterectomy almost 5 years ago, but to be honest weight has always been a problem and a constant struggle. After the surgery I kinda kept telling myself I'd been thru a lot and was entitled to treat myself and eat anything I want.......and of course gained a lot of weight. Happy to say that about 2 years after the surgery I got really fed up with myself and adopted healthier eating habits and lost the almost 30 lbs I had gained. But in the last couple of years, 10 of those lost lbs have reappeared. I'm in good shape, have good muscle tone, exercise 5 or 6 days a week (weight-lifting, step-aerobics, Pilates, elliptical machine, treadmill, plus taking my dog for walks every day) so maybe I've got unreal expectations..........but I'd sure like to get these 10 lbs off again. I've read there's such a thing as a "set point" weight that your body likes to be at and mine sure seems to be stuck there.......it's 3 times as hard to lose half the weight as it used to be. I know some of you all must be going thru the same weight struggles.......and I know it's just as hard to lose weight weight you're trying to lose 10 lbs or 50 lbs or whatever. Anybody got any thoughts?

#17149 - 11/11/05 06:49 PM Re: The last 10 lbs......
chickadee Offline

Loc: Alabama
Ann, are you sure you need to lose those last 10 lbs. Seems to me that you are doing everything right...I'm ashamed to admit that I need to exercise after reading your workout!
Is your body in proportion for its weight or do you have excess in a particular region?
chick

#17150 - 11/11/05 09:44 PM Re: The last 10 lbs......
LSmith5434 Offline

Loc: Washington State
I lost 58 lbs. and have kept it off for over a year. For the last four months I've been trying to get off another ten lbs. Would really like to get off 20, but the ten lbs would be wonderful. It just won't come off! I've been exercising, and watching my diet, but no such luck. Got really serious about it and joined a private gym yesterday. Will try the water regiment, plus other stuff. Sure hope it works. I have to admit I haven't been at this weight for 40 years, so maybe my body is just rebelling because it liked being overweight?
Lynne

#17151 - 11/11/05 09:50 PM Re: The last 10 lbs......
smilinize Offline

Loc: outer space
After menopause, whether it occurs naturally or surgically, body fat helps take over the production of estrogen. So a little more body fat after menopause is a part of nature's protection of our bones, heart, and well being.

smile

#17152 - 11/12/05 03:41 AM Re: The last 10 lbs......
travelchick Offline

Loc: Denver, CO
Smile--that sure depressed me, I've been working on this last 30 pounds for 2 years now and it just sits there, loose a couple, gain a couple. I was hoping that by not taking the birth control pills and HRT the doctors put me on that the weight would come off, but I've been off those for a year now and still this stubborn weight. Now you tell us it is because body fat is taking over the production of estrogen--I think I'd rather have a mustach than have this extra weight! [Frown] I guess I should be grateful I'm not back at the original weight--down to 170 from 262.

#17153 - 11/12/05 04:16 AM Re: The last 10 lbs......
smilinize Offline

Loc: outer space
Sorry travelchick, "I feel your pain."

I gained almost 30 pounds after surgery and a round of cortizone last year. I'm still trying to conquer that weight and neither exercise or diet seems to be making much of a dent. However, given the choice, I would choose health over being thin any time.

If there ever is a boomer conference, we should all MARCH on the New York designers, Television personalities, and movie producers that cram the anorexic look down our throat.

We are women!
We are boomer women!
small and large and short and tall
We are boomers one and all
We are proud the size we are!
We are proud of who we are
Watch out world
We're in CHARGE!
smile

[ November 11, 2005, 08:19 PM: Message edited by: smilinize ]

#17154 - 11/12/05 05:24 AM Re: The last 10 lbs......
chatty lady Offline
Writer

Loc: Nevada
Yes, yes, yes smile, you rule and I love your attitude in general. The thing that has saved my life literally while worrying about weight gain is JJ's way of describing herself and believe me I have copied her words aften. Not a fat women, just a 'fluffy' women...I love that and so do many of my copy cat women friends....

THINKING ABOUT BEING FAT,
WHOSE TO SAY FAT AIN'T WHERE ITS AT...

PAY NO MIND TO THE ANOREXIC AND STUFFY,
ENJOY YOUR MEALS, TELL FOLKS YOUR JUST FLUFFY...
[Big Grin] [Wink] [Razz]

Hope you don't mind me using your term my Queen!

[ November 11, 2005, 09:27 PM: Message edited by: chatty lady ]

#17155 - 11/17/05 05:48 PM Re: The last 10 lbs......
CrosstitchQueen Offline

Loc: Sanford, Florida
Chick,

In answer to your question....well I'm not SURE I need to lose this last 10 lbs but I'd sure like to. I'm 5'5" and I weigh 153 right now and have been hanging around this weight for months. (Lose a few lbs, gain a few pounds, it's an endless cycle). After my hysterectomy when I gained and got to my highest weight ever, and then got serious about doing something about it, I got down to 145, then slowly over the last couple of years gained to where I'm at now. The one part about me that I really don't like (we all have at least one right??) is my belly. I've never had kids but my belly still pokes out more than I'd like it too!! Even with all the exercise!! (I read recently in a fitness magazine that you can have really toned abs but if they're covered with a layer of fat nobody'd ever know you have them and the only way to have toned abs is to get rid of the fat....and they said cardio exercise is the key, not ab work like sit-ups.....and of course taking in less calories than you burn).
And you know all those BMI (Body Mass Index) calculators where you put in your weight and height and they figure out your BMI? They ALWAYS say I'm overweight.....but if I plug in just a few pounds less, it changes everything. And I know I shouldn't let that get to me (or the #'s on the scale either for that matter, when I weigh myself) but I was at my best shape ever when I was at 145 and I'm trying my darnedest to see if I can get there again but I have to admit that there are days when I wonder if it's worth it.

[ November 17, 2005, 09:49 AM: Message edited by: CrosstitchQueen ]

#17156 - 12/21/05 08:10 AM Re: The last 10 lbs......
Anonymous
Unregistered

I'm 5'8" and did weigh 155 lbs. I lost weight down to 138, but now back up to 149 lbs. I have a bad habit of drinking soda (Mt. Dew, Pepsi fiend). Is it true that should I consume at least 1 gallong of water a day and eliminate the soda that I will lose weight? I'd really like to be 138 again so those Gap jeans fit me!

#17157 - 12/21/05 08:57 AM Re: The last 10 lbs......
ladybug Offline

I've read time and time again that all that water drinking will get you are extra trips to the bathroom. Water certainly is much better for you than soda because it's got no calories and isn't harmful to the bladder lining.

Since you live in a fairly warm climate all year long I'd start talking walks and increase the duration each day. It will make you feel good and lose the weight. Good luck!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

NABBW.com | Forum Testimonials | Newsletter Sign Up | View Our Newsletter | Advertise With Us
About the Founder | Media Room | Contact BWS
Resources for Women | Boomer Books | Recent Reads | Boomer Links | Our Voices | Home

Boomer Women Speak
9672 W US Highway 20, Galena, IL 61036 • info@boomerwomenspeak.com • 1-877-BOOMERZ

Boomer Women Speak cannot be held accountable for any personal relationships or meetings face-to-face that develop because of interaction with the forums. In addition, we cannot be held accountable for any information posted in Boomer Women Speak forums.

Boomer Women Speak does not represent or endorse the reliability of any information or offers in connection with advertisements,
articles or other information displayed on our site. Please do your own due diligence when viewing our information.

Privacy PolicyTerms of UseDisclaimer

Copyright 2002-2019 • Boomer Women SpeakBoomerCo Inc. • All rights reserved