The Soap lady meets the Senator
baby chicks
Angel
Quilted Christmas Stocking
Latest Quilt
Shelter from the storm
A new life
Who's Online
0 Registered (), 115 Guests and 2 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
3239 Members
63 Forums
16332 Topics
210704 Posts

Max Online: 409 @ 01/17/20 03:33 AM
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 >
Topic Options
#16104 - 01/02/04 02:25 AM Losing weight
Lynn Offline

Loc: pennsylvania
I am thinking about trying to lose 25 to 30 pounds. I would love to fit into my "skinny" clothes again. I really like them and myself a bit thinner. Nothing unrealistic here. No high school weight limit attempted.

I have never really dieted. Any suggestions? I am considering weight watchers because I think I might learn something about good nutrition and I do well in a group setting. I quit smoking years ago in a group and it helped.Any suggestions or thoughts?

Lynn [Razz]

#16105 - 01/02/04 05:57 AM Re: Losing weight
Candice Johnson Offline

Loc: Alexandria, VA
I love weigth watchers, but it's all about the kind of group. My friend and I have switched groups twice and have finally found the group that fits us. I also heard that the Discovery Health channel is doing some kind of challenge where they give you a free three-month membership to Bally's Gym and nutritional guidleines.
Good Luck.

#16106 - 01/02/04 05:22 PM Re: Losing weight
Dotsie Offline
Founder

Loc: Maryland
Lynn, I hit that point when I turned 40 and I swear I have someone else's matabolism!

I walked before 40 and didn't gain weight, continued to walk after 40 and started gaining 3 pounds a year. Well then it turns to 10-15 and before you know it, you have to do something about it. I'm there too! [Big Grin]

Now I go to Curves and walk occasionally, but I'm not losing weight, just maintaining. No fun!

One time I lost weight when my sister, and friend and I e-mailed each other with what we ate every day! HONESTY was THE only policy. That'll take the weight off because do you really want to record every little thing you put in your mouth?

I did have success with WW, but didn't stick with it long enough to make it count.

Good luck and let us know what you decide. I think anything works best when you do it with a friend so you have someone to be accountable to. [Wink]

#16107 - 01/02/04 06:42 PM Re: Losing weight
smilinize Offline

Loc: outer space
I'm a big fan of walking and when I do it, I stay in good shape, have tons of energy, and get lots done. However, I can't seem to get myself going alone. I need a partner. We talk and get our psychiatry out of the way early. My walking partner developed knee problems though so I'm becoming way too sedentery.

From what I read, it takes walking 3 days a week for at least 20 minutes to maintain, and 5 times a week to lose.

Recently I bought a recumbent bike, kind of like a recliner that you pedal. I got a bed tray type thing and can velcro my laptop to is so I can write while exercising. It's not terribly boring, just not as nice as walking with a partner.

Many of the great writers were avid walkers.

smile

#16108 - 01/06/04 01:29 AM Re: Losing weight
Candice Johnson Offline

Loc: Alexandria, VA
My problem is finding the time to exercise. I refuse to get up any earlier to do it, but by the time I get home, it's the last thing I want to do. Any suggestions? I can't justify joining a gym to go during work because we have a small gym in my condo complex.

#16109 - 01/14/04 05:01 PM Re: Losing weight
Toni Offline

Loc: Pennsylvania
Losing weight is always a pain but I remember when I was in my 30's and 40's it was easier. That's when I walked a lot and seemed more inspired to lose weight.

It's harder now that I'm in my fifties. My motivation is lacking; however my husband and I purchased a treadmill and it should arrive this week or next. I can't wait to use it because I think the walking on it will really help! Plus, we have a stationery bike and a rowing machine. No excuse for me not to get into shape.

I'm also eliminating the peanut butter I used to eat in the afternoon. In place of that I'm drinking green or Red Tea. Really is helping! I don't know what it is but the tea is taking away my afternoon hunger!

Any one else experience this? Also, any other tips in losing weight and getting more inspired? I would appreciate any helpful hints. I really want to get the weight off.

Ann

#16110 - 01/14/04 07:00 PM Re: Losing weight
Dotsie Offline
Founder

Loc: Maryland
Ann, I say put the treadmill in front of the television when a funny sitcom is on. Time will go much faster.

I also find myself hungry in the afternoons. Heck, add mid-morning and 8:00pm to that too! [Big Grin]

I'm not sure about this but sometimes I think the fact that I exercise pretty much every day makes me hungrier. Any thoughts on this?

What I'm doing is drinkinglots of water and instead of reaching for that handful of Wheat Thins, chips, pretzels, cookies, candy...you name it, I'm eating boring stuff like grapes, carrots, cheese without crackers, or the mini rice bbq flavored rice cakes. Also sugar free pudding or jello. Hope this helps. [Big Grin]

#16111 - 01/15/04 03:55 PM Re: Losing weight
Toni Offline

Loc: Pennsylvania
Dotsie,

I agree with you. Substituting foods like rice cakes and carrotts sometimes works, sometimes not. The peanut butter rice cakes, I've found, taste better and do help control the appetite.

I am finding, as I mentioned earlier that drinking Red Tea, really takes hunger away in the afternoon. The sweet taste calms "hunger pangs" and takes that "urge to eat" away. Really working for me!

Should get the treadmill this weekend or early next week. Having some exercise equipment is inspiring me to move on--and the Red Tea is definitely helping!

Good luck to everyone on this! We can do this--whatever we need to accomplish this goal,is inside each one of us.

Ann

#16112 - 01/15/04 05:42 PM Re: Losing weight
Vicki M. Taylor Offline

Loc: Tampa, FL
ugh! Exercise!! The one and only TRUE cure to weight gain.

What can a person do who CANNOT exercise ??? Any activity causes intense pain and sends me to bed for 1/2 to a whole day, depending on what I do.

anyone else w/this issue and have some answers?

#16113 - 01/15/04 06:51 PM Re: Losing weight
smilinize Offline

Loc: outer space
Maybe you could contact your local hospital and get some exercises from a physical therapist. They're experts at that stuff and sometimes they can devise exercises that actually relieve pain.

Of course, depending on your condition, maybe some online research would work. I'm astounded on the health info I find online nowadays.

Of course this is advice from a SLUG!!! I'm less active now than ever before in my life. Not sure why. I say I'm hibernating for the winter.

smile

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 >

NABBW.com | Forum Testimonials | Newsletter Sign Up | View Our Newsletter | Advertise With Us
About the Founder | Media Room | Contact BWS
Resources for Women | Boomer Books | Recent Reads | Boomer Links | Our Voices | Home

Boomer Women Speak
9672 W US Highway 20, Galena, IL 61036 • info@boomerwomenspeak.com • 1-877-BOOMERZ

Boomer Women Speak cannot be held accountable for any personal relationships or meetings face-to-face that develop because of interaction with the forums. In addition, we cannot be held accountable for any information posted in Boomer Women Speak forums.

Boomer Women Speak does not represent or endorse the reliability of any information or offers in connection with advertisements,
articles or other information displayed on our site. Please do your own due diligence when viewing our information.

Privacy PolicyTerms of UseDisclaimer

Copyright 2002-2019 • Boomer Women SpeakBoomerCo Inc. • All rights reserved