The Soap lady meets the Senator
baby chicks
Angel
Quilted Christmas Stocking
Latest Quilt
Shelter from the storm
A new life
Who's Online
0 Registered (), 117 Guests and 0 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
3239 Members
63 Forums
16332 Topics
210704 Posts

Max Online: 409 @ 01/17/20 03:33 AM
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#16525 - 12/02/04 06:04 PM holidays
Dotsie Offline
Founder

Loc: Maryland
I've been on a roll iwth the whole diet and exercise thing...and then along comes the holidays and they definitely change things! [Mad]

I need to chnage my mindset. Any ideas on how to tell yourslef you don't need all the good food at this time of year?

I'm afraid I'd have to exercise all day to make up for the food I want to eat...and I know I can't do that! [Eek!]

What is your plan for this holiday season so you don't gain an extra 3-5 pounds?

#16526 - 12/02/04 06:26 PM Re: holidays
Pam Kimmell Offline

Loc: Warrenton, Virginia
Well, I know myself well enough to know there's no way I can pass up all the wonderful food that's stalking me through the holidays. SO - my plan is NOT to deny myself but just CUT BACK portion size. I'm going to carry on as usual but with a bit more restraint, and take an extra lap on my 3/4 mile walk around the neighborhood.

If I still gain some weight, it won't be much, and I can deal with it after the holidays....I just know that trying NOT to eat all the great food will NOT work for me. If you can't beat 'em - join 'em (and just cut back!). [Wink] [Razz]

#16527 - 12/02/04 07:39 PM Re: holidays
Vicki M. Taylor Offline

Loc: Tampa, FL
Pam has a good idea. Just cut back. Don't go overboard. Keep your portions SMALL. If you try to deny yourself, you'll only give in eventually and pig out. [Smile]

Thanksgiving was easy... and I didn't even deny myself the pumpkin pie and cool whip. I just kept my portions appropriate.

As for Christmas, I'm not making a big batch of cookies this year, nor am I cooking a lot of pies. I'm making one SMALL batch of fudge and am giving most of that away.

That's what I've found works best for me, when I do make something sweet, I keep a small portion for myself and then give it to my husband to take to work. This way I get to have a piece and I can get it out of the house quickly.

#16528 - 12/03/04 08:58 AM Re: holidays
meredithbead Offline
The Divine Ms M

Loc: Orange County, California
My weight gains come AFTER the holidays, when I'm around the house more. Right now I work so much that eating sometimes gets in the way of everything else. But I try to eat healthy so I have enough nutrients to keep me healthy.

#16529 - 12/03/04 09:01 PM Re: holidays
Dotsie Offline
Founder

Small portions, good answer. [Big Grin]

I can't deny myself either. I think I may try to exercise more. [Wink]

#16530 - 12/06/04 06:28 PM Re: holidays
Vicki M. Taylor Offline

Loc: Tampa, FL
Exercise always works. If you're too busy exercising you're too busy to put food into your mouth. [Smile]

#16531 - 12/06/04 09:52 PM Re: holidays
swimbo56 Offline

Loc: Towson, MD
Since I have tried every diet there ever was, I am now thinking that the best way is to exercise regularly, eat sensibly(3 meals with all my fruits and veggies), give yourself dessert too, just everything in small portions-the other foods too. However, one of the things that put weight on most is drinking. I mean alcohol and sodas. They even think your body treats diet soda as if it were the real thing. So I suggest drink Water, water, water. It has several benefits, it fills you up so you eat less, it cleanses your body and it has no calories, it also makes your skin look beautiful. Of course treat yourself to "A" glass of wine or eggnog or whatever you like, but limit the amount and stick to WATER most of the time. I know I carry bottles of water with me in my car and find I drink most of my water there. I also have some by my bed at night and drink before, when I wake in the night and then again as I get up. So, if there are 2 things I will say Moderation and water and of course continue to exercise. I'm hoping this will help me. I lost weight over Thanksgiving, but I don't suggest how I did to anyone. I had a tooth implant done, and the temp tooth caused so much pressure on the implant itself that I hardly ate much for a week. That's one way, but not the one I would suggest to anyone. As a result of so much pain I overdosed and became toxic of Motrin. The past week has been horible with the symptoms that caused. So, for anyone who takes even over the counter meds please be careful of how much you take in any 24 hours. As a nurse I should have known better, but my husband said the pain resembled that of childbirth and an inner ear strep infection or kidney stone. I took a 2nd dose when I didn't think I had taken the first, but obviously I had. Also the pain med the doc gave me, had codein and Ibuprofin - more Motrin. Be careful what you give yourself, even those over the counter drugs. Good luck in staying your weight.

#16532 - 12/07/04 01:50 AM Re: holidays
chatty lady Offline
Writer

Loc: Nevada
In a perfect world we would be able to eat whatever we want and never want to overeat and still remain a svelte small size...ho hum but we don't live in a perfect world and I feel and look like Blimpo the Wonder Blob. I am so sick and tired of being sick and tired, whoa is me!! [Frown]

#16533 - 12/07/04 07:43 PM Re: holidays
Dotsie Offline
Founder

Chatty, get out and walk those dogs, do your gazelle, and march. You're coming around. Please have hope!!!

Swimbo, why not let the pounds you lost with your tooth get you started again? Next year you'll thank God for the tooth implant because it was the jump start to your new figure!

Thanks for the reminder about water...and taking too many over the counter meds. Glad you're feeling better!

#16534 - 12/08/04 07:34 PM Re: holidays
Elsielc Offline

Loc: Orange County, CA
What can I saw about eating at the holidays?? Not much, especially since Meredith saw what I ate at the potluck last night!!! I'm a super carbo loader. I inhale cookies, cakes and brownies! One side of me says I have to be more disciplined since going thru the cancer and eat all the good things for me. And the other says throw caution to the wind - you've had the cancer, now enjoy what you want! Life is too short!! But I did have a couple of helpings of brocolli to go along with the desserts last night so I am trying to balance it all out. Maybe I might uncover my treadmill too.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

NABBW.com | Forum Testimonials | Newsletter Sign Up | View Our Newsletter | Advertise With Us
About the Founder | Media Room | Contact BWS
Resources for Women | Boomer Books | Recent Reads | Boomer Links | Our Voices | Home

Boomer Women Speak
9672 W US Highway 20, Galena, IL 61036 • info@boomerwomenspeak.com • 1-877-BOOMERZ

Boomer Women Speak cannot be held accountable for any personal relationships or meetings face-to-face that develop because of interaction with the forums. In addition, we cannot be held accountable for any information posted in Boomer Women Speak forums.

Boomer Women Speak does not represent or endorse the reliability of any information or offers in connection with advertisements,
articles or other information displayed on our site. Please do your own due diligence when viewing our information.

Privacy PolicyTerms of UseDisclaimer

Copyright 2002-2019 • Boomer Women SpeakBoomerCo Inc. • All rights reserved