The Soap lady meets the Senator
baby chicks
Angel
Quilted Christmas Stocking
Latest Quilt
Shelter from the storm
A new life
Who's Online
0 Registered (), 76 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
3239 Members
63 Forums
16332 Topics
210704 Posts

Max Online: 409 @ 01/17/20 03:33 AM
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#1112 - 08/04/05 07:15 AM Truth in Astrology?
DallasGal Offline

Loc: Dallas, Texas
I have never been one to pay much heed to fortune cookies, horoscopes or the like, but in doing some research for a project I decided to take a look at Birth charts and compatibility reports.

The initial idea I had was to "disprove" that these were accurate...in fact I saved the files under a category called "CULT" on my computer.

However, with all of my children and myself and husband - they were very accurate - and very to the point - RIGHT ON target on many things.

(Dotsie, even my idea that I have had about Andrew being a "world travel" was talked about many many times...in fact, every single one of the "impressions" that I have about my children were in there most of the time word for word.)

I would like to know what you all think, believe, feel re: Astrological charts and readings.

Bogus, BS, or potentially a locked and often abused source of key life information?

#1113 - 08/03/05 09:11 PM Re: Truth in Astrology?
smilinize Offline

Loc: outer space
I am confused about astrology. Some scripture seems to advise against it and I don't think anyone except God can predict the future. However, I believe God exists in science and it seems to be somewhat scientific in its origin as to predicting personality types.

I researched astrology at one time and found that it originated in the ancient royal courts at a time when royalty was bred much like cattle to get the best offspring. In order to produce offspring best suited to rule, kings and queens sought advice from mystics on how and with whom to breed, kind of a royal animal husbandry type thing. But the adivsers soon discovered that advice about 'with whom' the royals were to breed was not always well received and often did not produce the expected offspring anyway. Some were beheaded. So they sought a more reliable 'science' on which to base their advice.

Meantime astronomers were studying the stars and maps of stars were being developed. Over time the configuration of stars at the time of birth was compared to the personalities of royals which could easily be documented and astrology was established as a more reliable determinant of personality type. Astronomy combined with mysticism to produce astrologers who became the advisers to the royal court and were regarded much as psychiatrists and doctors are today.

They began to advise kings and queens to breed at specific times in order to produce desired personality types and it seemed to be fairly accurate so eventually the astrologers were consulted for advice on daily living as well as breeding and horoscopes developed.

Maybe that was just a fairy tale, but it sounded accurate and I have great respect for both experimental and empirical knowledge so astrology seemed empirically sort of scientific. Since I believe science is one of God's greatest gifts I figured it might have some validity.

So sometimes I read my horoscope and once in a great while it is absolutely accurate. Most of the time it is at least humorous.

But I gotta' tell ya', that part about me being a flake just cause I was born under the sign of aquarius is pure baloney. Of course I'm pretty sure the part about YOU being being a little strange because you were born under some weird star sign is absolutely 100% accurate... [Smile]

smile

[ August 04, 2005, 12:43 AM: Message edited by: smilinize ]

#1114 - 08/04/05 02:38 AM Re: Truth in Astrology?
Dotsie Offline
Founder

Loc: Maryland
Dallas, I've never been one for astrology. I wish I knew more, but it doesn't interest me.I prefer to stick with daily devotionals and the Bible. I would love to hear what others have to say.

#1115 - 08/04/05 02:39 AM Re: Truth in Astrology?
Dotsie Offline
Founder

Loc: Maryland
You may want to Google:
Astrology-Christianity. I bet you would find soem interesting work.

#1116 - 08/04/05 07:37 AM Re: Truth in Astrology?
DallasGal Offline

Dotsie, I know I am on a quest to again "push the edge of my comfort zone" and that's why I am searching for more information. Too basically challenge myself. (make sense?)

I can't wait until I get to Heaven and have all of the answers. =) I really wonder exactly how darkly is the glass we are all seeing through?

#1117 - 08/04/05 07:41 AM Re: Truth in Astrology?
DallasGal Offline

This was interesting off the net:

"I was recently given a leaflet saying that you can’t be a Christian and an astrologer. Is this true? Not at all. Modern Christians often think that astrology is a rival to Christianity and that you can’t practice one and believe in the other. They tend to quote various Old Testament passages in support of this proposition. In fact the truth is rather more complex. Astrology was condemned because of its pagan associations by St. Augustine around 400 AD (ironically he had been an astrologer in his youth), yet with the revival of classical learning in the countries of Christian Europe after 1100 AD astrology came to be accepted as part and parcel of the standard world view just as long as it was practiced within a Christian context. At. Thomas Aquinas, one of the great Christian theologians of the time argued that although the stars ruled the body, and therefore human passions, the soul was answerable directly to God. Astrology therefore did not restrict moral choice - our ability to choose between right and wrong - and was considered a valid way of understanding the world. However, the Church’s position remained ambivalent and astrology was still often seen as a rival. This tends to be the current position.

http://www.nickcampion.com/nc/questions/questions.htm "

#1118 - 08/04/05 08:24 AM Re: Truth in Astrology?
smilinize Offline

I am still unconvinced either way, but with an open mind I note that in Genesis 1:14 the Bible says: "And God said, Let there be lights in the firmament of the heaven to divide the day from the night; and let them be for ""signs,"" and for seasons, and for days, and years"
Both my Indian Granny and my English Grandfather who came from completely different cultures always planted, harvested, and slaughtered according to the moon. Both understood the importance of the signs in the stars.

It is interesting that both the birth and death of Jesus were marked by events in the stars. The bright star that is believed by some to be a comet at the birth of Jesus and the eclipse at His death. And the "Magi" who came to worship Jesus at His birth were astrologers who followed the signs in the stars to find the Christchild who had been born in Bethlehem.

From a physiological point of view, the earth's electromagnetic fields are affected by the position of the moon and stars and the human body is controlled by electromagnetic forces. So it is reasonable that changes in the position of the moon and stars would affect the physiology of the body thus the development of the neurons that determine personality types in utero.

So, I'm still confused. I believe God created the entire universe including the stars in the heavens to all work together for His glory. And the design is so deliberate that everything works together as one. So it stands to reason that the stars have some purpose other than decorating the night sky.

Yep, after typing all of that, I'm even more confused.
smile

[ August 04, 2005, 01:32 AM: Message edited by: smilinize ]

#1119 - 08/04/05 11:43 AM Re: Truth in Astrology?
Happy Birthday meredithbead Offline
The Divine Ms M

Loc: Orange County, California
In theory, it seems like astrology might be true. I've had my complete chart done with the minute of my birth time, and the person described doesn't sound much like me. I even ran it by a friend, just in case I was being too stubborn to see my own self clearly.

The part about being "shy, looking for others' approval, and having difficulty asserting myself" sent us both into hysterical laughter.

That isn't to say that it couldn't be accurate for someone else, but it didn't seem to work for me.

#1120 - 08/04/05 03:47 PM Re: Truth in Astrology?
unique Offline

Loc: North Carolina
I'll give you my two cent version since you asked...

I think the Bible warns believers against using astrology for two reasons:

1) There is just enough 'truth' to make it dangerous.
2) God wants us to be dependent on Him and not on 'messages' from His creation.

As for #1 - 'just enough truth' - if reading the stars were 100% flat out bogus, I don't think it would even rate a mention in the Bible. But the heavenly bodies, their positioning and potential influence are there. This is why Christians are warned away from it. From what I gather talking to people who do consult astrologers and from what I've read myself, the potential for damaging influence is there because there is 'just enough truth' to make it seem logical.
As for #2 - the Bible states repeatedly that we are to trust in God for our well being - and no one else. That's a commandement. The Bible also states, ...'for I am a jealous God'... (who would want to provoke someone that powerful? Not me!)
That's my take on it. Take it or leave it, ponder it or whatever...that's just the way I've situated it in my own mind. It works for me.

#1121 - 08/04/05 05:46 PM Re: Truth in Astrology?
smilinize Offline

quote:
Originally posted by unique:
I think the Bible warns believers against using astrology...

Unique, I wondered if you could be specific about the Scripture that warns against astrology. I remember hearing a sermon to that effect once, but I couldn't find anything in my Bible. Thinking it might be in another interpretation, I searched several versions on crosswalk.com and couldn't find anything there either. Or maybe someone else knows a specific Scripture that warns against astrology.
smile

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

NABBW.com | Forum Testimonials | Newsletter Sign Up | View Our Newsletter | Advertise With Us
About the Founder | Media Room | Contact BWS
Resources for Women | Boomer Books | Recent Reads | Boomer Links | Our Voices | Home

Boomer Women Speak
9672 W US Highway 20, Galena, IL 61036 • info@boomerwomenspeak.com • 1-877-BOOMERZ

Boomer Women Speak cannot be held accountable for any personal relationships or meetings face-to-face that develop because of interaction with the forums. In addition, we cannot be held accountable for any information posted in Boomer Women Speak forums.

Boomer Women Speak does not represent or endorse the reliability of any information or offers in connection with advertisements,
articles or other information displayed on our site. Please do your own due diligence when viewing our information.

Privacy PolicyTerms of UseDisclaimer

Copyright 2002-2019 • Boomer Women SpeakBoomerCo Inc. • All rights reserved