Hannelore, another part of being in a faith community is intergenerational relationships. I have learned so much from the elderly who have lived through so many of the stages that I've been through. They are so wise and willing to share guidance and faith.

I also have appreciated the families who have always been just a few years older than us because I've watched them go through the parenting of little ones, middle school, high school and college years with their children. I've learned so much by their example.

Last week, I sat behind a woman and her eighth grade daughter. Mom couldn't keep her arm off her daughter. She kept wrapping it around her shoulder, then rubbing her back. It took me back to the days of wrapping my arms around my kids when we worshipped together. The memories were heartwarming since my kids are all in college now.

Not one of the families in our church is without some kind of issue - some large, some small. However, we understand that God is not always fair, but He always promises to walk with us, love us, and support us regardless of what we are going through...just like we have promised our own children the same.

I never mean to sound preachy. I'm only sharing what has worked for me.

Perhaps this is a good place to sahre this poem by Maya Angelou:

Christians - By Maya Angelou

When I say... "I am a Christian"

I'm not shouting "I'm clean livin'."

I'm whispering "I was lost,

Now I'm found and forgiven."

I don't speak of this with pride.

I'm confessing that I stumble

and need Christ to be my guide.

I'm not trying to be strong.