The Soap lady meets the Senator
baby chicks
Angel
Quilted Christmas Stocking
Latest Quilt
Shelter from the storm
A new life
Who's Online
0 Registered (), 252 Guests and 2 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
3239 Members
63 Forums
16332 Topics
210704 Posts

Max Online: 409 @ 01/16/20 10:33 PM
Page 2 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5 >
Topic Options
#94171 - 11/03/06 08:34 PM Re: Caholic Church Scandal [Re: Bluebird]
Princess Lenora Offline

Loc: Colorado
Well, I hesitate to get involved here because of the potential to offend. I grew up Catholic. I recall the scandals that went on while I was in Catholic grammar school. In the 1970's, in Denver, CO, there was an old convent being torn down. In the basement of the convent, or below the basement, were crypts with infant skeletons. I think Bluebird has a good point regarding numbers. In Colorado Springs, the pastor of the largest congregation Christian mega. church has resigned due to him being outed for having gay sex with a prostitute and for buying meth. He has 5 kids.

#94172 - 11/04/06 03:56 AM Re: Caholic Church Scandal [Re: Princess Lenora]
Edelweiss Offline

Loc: American living in Europe
I'm glad you didn't hesitate Lynn. There's nothing like a healthy debate to activate the brain cells. At least it does me good.
That's interesting that they discovered infant skeletons in Colorodo too. Who knows how many convent basements hide "pieces of evidence."
I don't think any religion has the right to force celibacy. God created us with a sex drive. Why should we fight his creation?
I know Lola disagrees with me, and I know married clergy men can have unnatural sexual tendencies as well ( I'm talking about pedolphiles here), but I wonder if these priests (and I'm sure they are in the minority), who may have been "normal" when they entered the clergy, developed these tendencies because those young children were there and are manipulative. Just a thought.
My boys were alter boys, and when I think back I can just thank God nothing happened to them. They went to summer camps, held Mass. 6:00 in the morning before school started, and were often alone with their "Father". He was a wonderful child loving person, who never touched any of the children, so I do want to make it clear that I'm not generalizing here.

#94173 - 11/04/06 06:26 AM Re: Caholic Church Scandal [Re: Edelweiss]
klmr13 Offline

Loc: Stars Hollow
I think this is a very interesting discussion!
My father was raised as a Catholic and attended Catholic schools. He rebelled against Catholicism as a youngster, after having "Brothers" of the church "box" the ears of boys who misbehaved (causing deafness in one of my father's friend's ears).

My mother sometimes attended both the Catholic and Lutheran Churches with aunts while growing up (she was baptized Lutheran) but didn't attend church regularly.

When my brother and I were little, we attended a Baptist Church with a neighbor for a few years. However, I had a wonderful upbringing without regular churchgoing after that because my parents passed their general belief in God to us and instilled the right values by example.

When I married a Catholic man (and have since divorced) I promised to raise my children in the Catholic faith and did so. My children attended catechism classes and my daughter, especially, was turned off to organized religion when many of the teachers were not only nasty, but one used bad language (something I don't do and that doesn't belong in CCD classes!) She only told me years later, otherwise I would have reported that.
We attended church sporadically, and as my children grew (they're in their twenties), they presently do not attend at all. Over the years, sometimes I attended on my own, but I have since realized that I do not need "the building".

By that, I mean that I reflect upon the type of people my parents were - the salt of the earth! They were honest, hardworking, loving people who always helped others and put everyone before themselves - THIS, I believe, is the true spirit of what God wants us to be!
On the other hand, I know a couple people who faithfully go to church every week, yet aren't kind, are selfish, and would stab people in the back as quick as looking at them! However, there are also many good people who find strength and hope in attending church, and I think that is wonderful for them.

For me, my heart's belief is that God is more concerned that we follow the Golden Rule than that we must come to a certain building every week to worship. My church is inside of me, and I talk with God all the time, living my life in a kind and giving way.

One of my favorite quotations was written by Meister Eckhart..." If the only prayer you said in your whole life was, 'thank you', that would suffice". I do thank God for things great and small, and thank Him more frequently than I ask for favors.

Even in our local area, a priest who grew up in my town was found to have stolen money from the church for his own use. In their position of reverence and authority, the clergy who take advantage of children or otherwise do evil things should be so totally ashamed! I do believe that God will deal with them when their time comes.

(...Sorry I was so wordy!)

#94174 - 11/04/06 10:54 AM Re: Caholic Church Scandal [Re: Princess Lenora]
Anonymous
Unregistered

I've not attended the Presbyterian Church I joined for a while b/c the women (whether married or single, children or not) are rather stand offish and gossip. I joined the Church Spring 2005 and hoped I would not encounter such, but it is. I attend sporadicly and for myself. I'd rather be w/ my animals and nature, that is where I find God.

Hannelore, that's a very interesting story about the tunnels under Augsburg! If you find an article or web site, would you mind posting? I'm always interested in such!

I'm amazed at how 'faithful' men sin and repent, write a book, and make a buck. What about those in their wake?

#94175 - 11/04/06 11:15 AM Re: Caholic Church Scandal [Re: ]
Bluebird Offline

Loc: Pagosa Springs, Colorado
Hannelore, I don't think it's accurate to say any church "forces" celibacy. No one forces a man to become a priest - it's a calling from God. If I wasn't married, I would be obligated to be celibate also. It is not impossible to live w/o sex!!!
Incidentally, the unmarried priest rule is not a dogma - it can be changed by any Pope.

In My Father's house are many mansions...John 14:2

http://www.myspace.com/westernbluebird

#94176 - 11/04/06 01:07 PM Re: Caholic Church Scandal [Re: Bluebird]
Lola Offline

Loc: London UK
Hi, Lynnie: I fully understand what you mean. Many refrain to discuss politics and religion because these often tag to very specific emotive and sensitive issues. And, as such, do bear the potential for discussions to get heated. I trust however that this particular topic can and will continue to be fully discussed within the necessary proprieties with no cause of offence to anyone. I am glad that you have not hesitated to join in and I hope that others who may have a particular desire to join in the discussion will also not hesitate to do so. In the wake of recent scandals in the Church, Catholics are urged to tackle the issues head on. We cannot pretend that it does not exist. The scandals are scaffolds on which the moral teaching of the Catholic Church will be hung unless some reasons for clarity, justice and hope can be given alongside reasons for faith.

#94178 - 11/04/06 02:31 PM Re: Caholic Church Scandal [Re: Lola]
Lola Offline

Loc: London UK
Hi, Hannelore: I am sure some priests who have offended may have started off their priesthoods with the right psychological faculties but, along the way, chose to do wrong than right. There are many factors which lead to that end, whilst with no intention to mitigate circumstances, I believe if certain things were in place, it would not have been too easy for these priests to lose their way.

On the issue of celibacy, the Catholic Church forbids no one to marry. No one is required to take the vow of celibacy. Those who do, choose to do so voluntarily, renouncing marriage. Catholics are free to marry with the Church’s blessing. The Church simply choose to elect candidates for the priesthood from among those who voluntarily renounce marriage. As Jackie has mentioned, celibacy is not part of the Church's dogma or doctrine and can be changed by Papal applications although there are many within the Church who would argue that it has scriptural origin and not entirely pure discipline. The Catholic Church does allow for married priests. The Eastern Catholic Churches have married clergy as a norm although their bishops tend to be celibate. The Roman Catholic Church have also, of late, ordained married priests who have crossed over from the Anglican, Episcopalian, Lutheran denominations to name a few. The Church has also ordained into priesthood widows and even married men who have chosen to pursue the priestly vocation when and where patrimonial issues have been resolved. So, it would now seem that the Catholic Church is not as rigid as once thought to be.

#94180 - 11/04/06 04:09 PM Re: Caholic Church Scandal [Re: ]
klmr13 Offline

Loc: Stars Hollow
Anne...I always think of it like the game of "Telephone" we played as kids. Everyone hears the story a little differently, passing it down in his or her own way.

#94182 - 11/04/06 05:24 PM Re: Caholic Church Scandal [Re: ]
chatty lady Offline
Writer

Loc: Nevada
Well now last night they had a major news report about misconduct on some other religious leader, not Catholic. I think this is one of those TV Evangelists, sorry, don't remember his name but I'm sure you'll see it too....Lets face it folks, these are 'men' not God, so its bound to happen, sad but true.

http://charleen-micheles.blogspot.com/

#94183 - 11/04/06 07:02 PM Re: Caholic Church Scandal [Re: chatty lady]
Princess Lenora Offline

Loc: Colorado
The New Life Church is a mega church in CO Springs, CO. The head pastor is Ted Haggert. He has been against gays, and preaches against homosexuality. Haggert was found visiting gay prostitutes for his own pleasure. He also bought meth. So, the entire congregation and city is aghast at the hypocrisy. You can find any information about this via CNN. Haggert has 5 children who will suffer from his debaucle as well.

Page 2 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5 >

NABBW.com | Forum Testimonials | Newsletter Sign Up | View Our Newsletter | Advertise With Us
About the Founder | Media Room | Contact BWS
Resources for Women | Boomer Books | Recent Reads | Boomer Links | Our Voices | Home

Boomer Women Speak
9672 W US Highway 20, Galena, IL 61036 • info@boomerwomenspeak.com • 1-877-BOOMERZ

Boomer Women Speak cannot be held accountable for any personal relationships or meetings face-to-face that develop because of interaction with the forums. In addition, we cannot be held accountable for any information posted in Boomer Women Speak forums.

Boomer Women Speak does not represent or endorse the reliability of any information or offers in connection with advertisements,
articles or other information displayed on our site. Please do your own due diligence when viewing our information.

Privacy PolicyTerms of UseDisclaimer

Copyright 2002-2019 • Boomer Women SpeakBoomerCo Inc. • All rights reserved