The Soap lady meets the Senator
baby chicks
Angel
Quilted Christmas Stocking
Latest Quilt
Shelter from the storm
A new life
Who's Online
0 Registered (), 156 Guests and 2 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
3239 Members
63 Forums
16332 Topics
210704 Posts

Max Online: 409 @ 01/17/20 03:33 AM
Page 2 of 2 < 1 2
Topic Options
#92810 - 02/18/07 09:53 AM Re: Online shopping [Re: orchid]
celtic_flame Offline

Loc: Belfast/Northern Ireland
So the info gets sent to a server thanks cathy i wondered how it was dun and how they keept it safe....

i bought and sold online (via paypal) and havent had bother came close ot it once, christmass i got a chqueek and bank it but posted before the monnie cleared....it got returned to me. I know i shouldn't off but the stuff wouldnt have been their for christmass. Contacted the women kicking myself lol but she re-issued the bonced monnie so all was good in the end....Nice to meet an honest person too

That last minet .com grrrr lol that we had the flights with cant find phone number or anything for them so cant complain about the mixed up flights.....but this my first truly "bad" experience with on-line shoping....As cathie was saying good idea to cheek if they have a custemerservice number or address i will in future, think i learned my lesson lol

celtic

#92811 - 02/18/07 02:06 PM Re: Online shopping [Re: celtic_flame]
Dotsie Offline
Founder

Loc: Maryland
Orchid, I don't buy clothes online either. I pretty much stick to books and stuff for the kids. They order clothes, shoes, cameras, Ipods, sporting equipment, just about anything online. I buy a few hings but don't want to get hooked because it's so easy to spend money sitting behind a computer.

I have no problem putting my credit card number out there. I always check my bills to make certain that everything on there was charged by us and is the exact amount. I'm anal about that.

My son had two charges on his credit card that were not his. Beleive it or not, the bank called him about them before he even got the bill. They thought they were out of the ordinary purchases for him. Isn't that wild? They closed his account and gave him a new number. I thought it was pretty neat that people are watching in some way or another.

Kathy, I know about the affiliate programs. I once had a boomer shopping mall on this site but it really didn't do much of anything so I removed it.

#92812 - 02/18/07 04:30 PM Re: Online shopping
orchid Offline

Loc: British Columbia, Canada
Quote:

My son had two charges on his credit card that were not his. Beleive it or not, the bank called him about them before he even got the bill. They thought they were out of the ordinary purchases for him. Isn't that wild? They closed his account and gave him a new number. I thought it was pretty neat that people are watching in some way or another.

Yes, I've heard of great stories like that.
Whenever I get catalogue of women's cycling clothing from U.S., I am so sorely tempted since choice is limited for someone of my build. Alot of cycling stores are overweighted in cycling clothing choice for men.

I only use Internet for booking hotel, airline tickets, etc.

Honestly I like the fact that there are no items that you sell through your website Dotsie.

I'm just wondering though if you might want to marketing your website more broadly via national women's magazine in other countries. I discovered this website via MORE magazine.

In Canada, magazines that are national in scope for women are:

Canadian Living
Flare (this tends to be more fashion oriented.)
Chateline. There is a French language version.

#92813 - 02/19/07 08:23 PM Re: Online shopping [Re: orchid]
Emyjay Offline

I couldn't bring myself to do it, ladies. I just don't feel comfortable typing out my own credit card number and then clicking on the "buy."

I enjoyed shopping around, though!

Dotsie and orchid, I buy most of my clothes from QVC. I've learned what labels fit me best and like the fact that no one else has tried the items on before me. I love the Denium and Co. clothes, in particular, because of the fit and wear of material. I buy my Philosophy scents from them, too.

Actually, it's probably a good thing that I can't just click on the "buy" button. At least if I see something, I have to actually walk to the phone and dial before the deal is done.

Emily in Maryland, who needs to work on "restraint" this year

#92814 - 02/20/07 06:45 PM Re: Online shopping [Re: Emyjay]
EvilTwin Offline

Loc: Atlanta, GA
Oh, yeah! The techno geek is an online shopper all the way! I am apparently missing a female gene, as I HATE going into stores to shop. It could have something to do with all the time I spend on the road during the week driving to and from work. One of my favorites is Victorias Secret online. I shop the clearance section only there! There are really too many for me to list here, but a look at my favorites list should give you bunches to work with, Dotsie!

One warning to online shoppers -- it is not recommended that you use your debit cards -- only your credit cards.

EvilTwin a/k/a Judy

http://www.alifescapesphoto.com

#92815 - 02/21/07 12:01 AM Re: Online shopping [Re: orchid]
SharonE Offline

Loc: Australia/ U.S. websites
Another Ad Alert!
I love to shop at www.myboomermall.com and www.babyboomerexpress.com

I have actually been shopping online myself for over 6 yrs, and have never had a problem with credit card purchases. I've ordered bits and pieces from several different countries over the years and all have come through without a worry.

When you think about it, if anything went wrong, the companys reputation would suffer dramatically, so they do their utmost to keep it 100% safe for customers.
Take care,
For U.S. Baby Boomers: www.babyboomerexpress.com

#92816 - 05/10/07 08:53 AM Re: Online shopping [Re: SharonE]
SharonE Offline

Loc: Australia/ U.S. websites
Hi Queen JJ,
I know this is an old post but back on page 1, (on 10/21/06) you mentioned Photo Stamps.
I thought they were a great idea too and I have had photo stamps in the back of my mind since then... so imagine my delight when I found what I needed to add them to my website. Specially for DaQueen.

They are great for:
Wedding invitations
Baby announcements
Thank you notes
Birthday and anniversary parties
Scrap-booking
Pets and vacation photos
Gifts for any occasion

And very convenient for business too... Here's the link:
http://www.babyboomerexpress.com/rts/index.asp?action=page&name=16488&siteid=1255
For U.S. Baby Boomers: www.babyboomerexpress.com

#92817 - 05/10/07 12:58 PM Re: Online shopping [Re: SharonE]
Laurel Offline

Loc: Oklahoma, USA
I shop online a lot and have for years. With rising gas prices it's much cheaper.

I stick with brands that I know fit me well.

Often times you can get what you're looking for online for much cheaper even with shipping costs. They don't have the overhead cost of a brick and mortar store and they don't have as many employees.

I love Zappos.com, Amazon, Ebay, and most stores have an online shopping link.

I was in Kohl's the other day and found a pair of shoes I loved but they didn't have my size. I could either call and drive all over town to their other stores or go online. I went online. Sure enough they had it in my size for $2 cheaper and with only 99 cents shipping (because of Mother's day coming up). Oh and the tax was cheaper too.

Laurel

#92818 - 05/14/07 06:25 PM Re: Online shopping [Re: Laurel]
Dotsie Offline
Founder

Loc: Maryland
Laurel, thanks for the Zappos reminder. I keep hearing about that site, browsed it when it was mentioned before, but need to get back there.

We have kohl's too. They are pretty new to the area. Boy do they have great sales.

#92819 - 05/23/07 06:00 PM Re: Online shopping [Re: orchid]
jennyherbs Offline

Loc: Arizona, USA
I mainly get books online. Especially second hand ones from Amazon. I also have a discount shopping site I use for restaurant coupons, movie tickets etc. If it isn't discounted I rarely shop online although I hear you can get great deals on things like printer ink ....!

www.RetireRichandHealthy.com
http://NaturalHealthForBoomers.blogspot.com/

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2

NABBW.com | Forum Testimonials | Newsletter Sign Up | View Our Newsletter | Advertise With Us
About the Founder | Media Room | Contact BWS
Resources for Women | Boomer Books | Recent Reads | Boomer Links | Our Voices | Home

Boomer Women Speak
9672 W US Highway 20, Galena, IL 61036 • info@boomerwomenspeak.com • 1-877-BOOMERZ

Boomer Women Speak cannot be held accountable for any personal relationships or meetings face-to-face that develop because of interaction with the forums. In addition, we cannot be held accountable for any information posted in Boomer Women Speak forums.

Boomer Women Speak does not represent or endorse the reliability of any information or offers in connection with advertisements,
articles or other information displayed on our site. Please do your own due diligence when viewing our information.

Privacy PolicyTerms of UseDisclaimer

Copyright 2002-2019 • Boomer Women SpeakBoomerCo Inc. • All rights reserved