The Soap lady meets the Senator
baby chicks
Angel
Quilted Christmas Stocking
Latest Quilt
Shelter from the storm
A new life
Who's Online
0 Registered (), 102 Guests and 2 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
3239 Members
63 Forums
16332 Topics
210704 Posts

Max Online: 409 @ 01/16/20 10:33 PM
Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
#8962 - 10/16/05 04:52 AM Re: To move or not to move?
Princess Lenora Offline

Loc: Colorado
Oh Stacy, my husband is in the restaurant industry! I can so relate! Someday I will share the story of Houlihan's jerking us around. We have been in your shoes. We always said, "Good thing we don't have children" because we have lived in 6 states since 1988. And all the transfers and company changes within those states. We are currently in an apartment. I am holding my breath because we are closing on a new home on December 2. Sign a lease, get a transfer, buy a house, get a transfer. As for accidents, my husband had a life time teaching certificate as an education major. But after his first teaching job he realized that he could make more money as a restaurant manager, as food service was what he did to pay bill while he went through school. So, he went back to the restaraunt industry and has done so for 30 years. He hates it. I hate the 12 hour days and 8 days in a row. Good luck, Lynn

#8963 - 10/16/05 07:03 PM Re: To move or not to move?
Lynn Offline

Loc: pennsylvania
After childhood, I was a mover. I actually lived aboard a ship so I could keep moving. I have a very nomadic spirit.

Now that I have a child, its over. Hi stability is most important to me. He now has a neighborhood and a school that I hope he stays in for the next 8 years.

We still move around during the off months but not because of a job. Yours are little but to many moves are not good on a family and I agree with whoever mentioned that maybe your hubby is being taken advantage of. If you ever find that crystal ball, I could use it now and again!

Lynn

#8964 - 10/17/05 12:50 AM Re: To move or not to move?
Princess Lenora Offline

Yeah, me too. Let me peer into my crystal ball. Lynn, how do you feed your nomadic spirit now? Do you take trips? As for Stacy, my husband worked for TGI Fridays as a manager. Upon hire, they had asked him where he was interested in transferring to. He said anywhere but Southern California. Within a month, we were transferred to Southern California. He was sent to SO CA on an Arizona salary. You can't survive in CA on AZ pay. It was a financial treadmill. He eventually did well with them as a GM but never made it to area supervisor. He worked for them for 10 years.

#8965 - 10/18/05 03:57 AM Re: To move or not to move?
Stacy M. Offline

Loc: New Albany, Ohio
Jersey ~
About finding a the place we want to live and working with that job market....
Been there and done that.
Our dream location is Denver.
Unfortunately, my husband is at the executive levels of fast food which means he needs to be working where these companies are based. Most of the stuff is NOT in Colorado and the ones that are he has tried to get into them. HOWEVER, we haven't tried to apply for any positions in a while????

We've both job hopped a lot over the last 10 years. It seems like maybe it's a better idea to stay with the same company for more than 2 years? (that's our max) To move up the ladder and make more money?

Will we ever truly "have it all"? Money, love where we live, feeling whole and complete, live blissfully near our friends and family?
Ahhhh.....dreaming! [Smile]

#8966 - 10/18/05 04:41 AM Re: To move or not to move?
Princess Lenora Offline

Stacy, it seems that restaurant managers job hop. If a guy is with a company for 2 years, that's a long time. I'm so sorry to hear you had to leave Denver. You mean to say that there are not upper management jobs for Arby's in Denver? I always wanted to live in CO. We got lucky last year when On the Border moved my H from Misery I mean Missouri to Colorado Springs. We have it all: a solid marriage since 1988, a stable mid-management job, a new home being built. All we need is 1) less hours of work per week (12 hour days suck) 2) more money. I feel fulfilled much of the time. That's saying a lot from someone who couldn't fathom her reason for being on this planet. Where are you now in your move? Toledo? Columbus? Cleveland? Egypt? Lots of luck, Lynn

#8967 - 10/18/05 08:19 PM Re: To move or not to move?
Lynn Offline

Loc: pennsylvania
Lynn329,
Yes, I travel as much as possible and have friends all over so that makes travelling easier and more fun. But I could roam for quite awhile through Europe and only have about 4 friends throughout the region plus we both have to work so nomading is just not in the cards right now.

I would love to be a travel agent so that I could "get my fix" through other people's travels. Admittedly, I love buying airline tickets. Crazy thing but I love it.

Sounds like lots of women have travelled quite a bit in their moves. Nothing like a fresh town to get to know!!

Lynn

#8968 - 10/19/05 01:40 AM Re: To move or not to move?
Princess Lenora Offline

If you want, you can go ahead and buy 2 round trip tickets for me and my hubby to go to Italy. I have a passport. I'm ready. I mean, since you love buying airline tickets. I wouldn't want you to be deprived of your love of buying.....

#8969 - 10/19/05 04:39 PM Re: To move or not to move?
jawjaw Offline
Da Queen

Loc: Alabama
ohhhh...ohhhh (Queen frantically waving hand in the air) me too! me too! Could you make my tickets for Ireland? You are such a dear!

JJ

#8970 - 10/21/05 07:07 PM Re: To move or not to move?
Stacy M. Offline

Loc: New Albany, Ohio
Update!
My husband (Joe) turned down the "opportunity" to go to Toledo. His boss is being a jerk about it which means Joe has been moved to the bottom of the Most Likely To Succeed list.

Company politics stink!!

There is some relief knowing I don't have to pack and move during the holidays!

We can't wait to get ourselves in a position to break away and be self employed....NO MORE BOSSES!

#8971 - 10/21/05 08:20 PM Re: To move or not to move?
Danita Offline

Isn't it interesting that as long as he was willing to jerk his family around all over the U.S...he was a golden boy. Now he's at the bottom of the pig pile.

I'm with you on being self-employed. I have the perfect job for him! (LMAO)

danita

p.s. if you need a hint Stacy, it involves a white mercedes!

[ October 21, 2005, 05:21 PM: Message edited by: Danita ]

Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >

NABBW.com | Forum Testimonials | Newsletter Sign Up | View Our Newsletter | Advertise With Us
About the Founder | Media Room | Contact BWS
Resources for Women | Boomer Books | Recent Reads | Boomer Links | Our Voices | Home

Boomer Women Speak
9672 W US Highway 20, Galena, IL 61036 • info@boomerwomenspeak.com • 1-877-BOOMERZ

Boomer Women Speak cannot be held accountable for any personal relationships or meetings face-to-face that develop because of interaction with the forums. In addition, we cannot be held accountable for any information posted in Boomer Women Speak forums.

Boomer Women Speak does not represent or endorse the reliability of any information or offers in connection with advertisements,
articles or other information displayed on our site. Please do your own due diligence when viewing our information.

Privacy PolicyTerms of UseDisclaimer

Copyright 2002-2019 • Boomer Women SpeakBoomerCo Inc. • All rights reserved