The Soap lady meets the Senator
baby chicks
Angel
Quilted Christmas Stocking
Latest Quilt
Shelter from the storm
A new life
Who's Online
0 Registered (), 102 Guests and 2 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
3239 Members
63 Forums
16332 Topics
210704 Posts

Max Online: 409 @ 01/16/20 10:33 PM
Page 3 of 3 < 1 2 3
Topic Options
#59817 - 07/08/04 01:25 AM Re: I'm a bit befuddled....maybe peeved
chatty lady Offline
Writer

Loc: Nevada
HERE, HERE!!! [Big Grin]

#59818 - 07/08/04 11:18 AM Re: I'm a bit befuddled....maybe peeved
Toni Offline

Loc: Pennsylvania
Right On, Lionspaw!

#59819 - 07/08/04 02:53 PM Re: I'm a bit befuddled....maybe peeved
Dotsie Offline
Founder

Loc: Maryland
Lion, I love hearing your voice again. You're full of wisdom. Thanks for sharing. [Wink]

#59820 - 07/08/04 07:45 PM Re: I'm a bit befuddled....maybe peeved
DreamrKate Offline

Loc: California
You guys are so right! I'm steeling myself for my "session" today, in just a little over an hour.

Last night I was trying to do the homework she gave me.....write down some instance that make you feel bad, or angry, or hurt, then how you felt about it, why it makde you feel like that, how it was wrong to feel like that, but HEYYYYY, here again, I have a problem with THAT too!

For instance, if you forget to shut the freezer door, everything melts, and you feel bad, angry, guilty........why in the heck SHOULDN'T you feel like that? It was dumb, it was a waste, it was thoughtless but you don't have to get the rope and hang yourself either but for crying out loud, is that, or is that not, why God gave us brains and feelings to begin with? So that you could judge your own actions/words/behavior?

Well, HELLO! I think it is. So.. the homework... I did one page, thought it was stupid and quit.

More later.

Kate

#59821 - 07/08/04 07:58 PM Re: I'm a bit befuddled....maybe peeved
smilinize Offline

Loc: outer space
Seems like enough time is spent on the bad stuff at the time it happens and for a while after.

I'm no shrink here, but maybe you could make a list of the things that make you feel good. Try to ignore the things that make you feel bad and repeat the things that make you feel good over and over again.

That may be "anti-shrink think," but then hey, it is non-addictive, has no side effects, and it is free -- More important, it Rhymes! [Smile]
smile

#59822 - 07/08/04 08:12 PM Re: I'm a bit befuddled....maybe peeved
DreamrKate Offline

Loc: California
You guys are so right! I'm steeling myself for my "session" today, in just a little over an hour.

Last night I was trying to do the homework she gave me.....write down some instance that make you feel bad, or angry, or hurt, then how you felt about it, why it makde you feel like that, how it was wrong to feel like that, but HEYYYYY, here again, I have a problem with THAT too!

For instance, if you forget to shut the freezer door, everything melts, and you feel bad, angry, guilty........why in the heck SHOULDN'T you feel like that? It was dumb, it was a waste, it was thoughtless but you don't have to get the rope and hang yourself either but for crying out loud, is that, or is that not, why God gave us brains and feelings to begin with? So that you could judge your own actions/words/behavior?

Well, HELLO! I think it is. So.. the homework... I did one page, thought it was stupid and quit.

More later.

Kate

#59823 - 07/09/04 03:18 AM Re: I'm a bit befuddled....maybe peeved
Agate Offline

Loc: Minnesota
Therapists can do a lot of damage to a person. Mr. Therapist got me so confused about my childhood, which led me away from the real problem, my abusive husband. Now, when I feel down and think I need a therapist to talk to, I stop myself and figure what I really need is a friend to talk to.

#59824 - 07/10/04 05:24 AM Re: I'm a bit befuddled....maybe peeved
Dotsie Offline
Founder

Loc: Maryland
Smile, you're sooo funny. I love that you can have such an approach (the calculations w/therapist). That was so funny to me. That is also wonderful that you were/are able to 'get over' it so well.

Unfortunately, some of us attend these sessions with real issues and have to pay dearly. Not just monetarily, but that trip back down memory lane can really cost.

My situation was serious (incest by father and step). So, when I went in for PTSD as mentioned by Dots in an earlier post, my session were quite different.

Trust me, those of you that CAN go there with the attitude exhibited here, are very lucky/blessed.

I've since worked through many of the issues. I worked with a friend that 'claimed' the same as you all but she was 'stuck' in an abusive relationship. Although I am not a therapist, I had learned enough to coach her into digging deep enough to find herself...her self that 'learned' the behaviour to accept what she and her children endured, daily, weekly, monthly for over ten years.

I feel good about my unprofessional 'digging' into her past. Although she would never admit it, and I wouldn't want her to, my therapy helped both of us. She had to realize that she learned this behaviour first hand, straight from her mother. Her mother passed from a heart related illness. Was it the stress of the man she'd given her entire life to choosing to be with another? Who can say exactly what rushed her untimely death. I don't think that 50 is old enough to die suddenly, especially after learning that the love of your life loves somebody else...

Just a thought.

#59825 - 07/12/04 03:28 AM Re: I'm a bit befuddled....maybe peeved
Thistle Cove Farm Offline

Loc: Tazewell County, VA, USA
Consider the therapist has a problem - s/he has to make money to live - and the way s/he gets that money is if YOU have enough problems (real or imagined) to keep coming back... <lol>

I firmly believe getting help when help is needed but I have also been in the position to realize that the shrink *needed* for me to have many, many problems so he could get $$$. In my case what I needed was medication to "jump start" the seratonin (if that's how it's spelled) levels in my body. Once that happened, I left the therapist and have been the better for it.

Dave's cousin is a shrink and was talking to Dave one time about "someone" who was seeing him. He said he didn't know when this person would be well enough to stop seeing a shrink. Dave told him "when the money runs out". His cousin was not amused.

Page 3 of 3 < 1 2 3

NABBW.com | Forum Testimonials | Newsletter Sign Up | View Our Newsletter | Advertise With Us
About the Founder | Media Room | Contact BWS
Resources for Women | Boomer Books | Recent Reads | Boomer Links | Our Voices | Home

Boomer Women Speak
9672 W US Highway 20, Galena, IL 61036 • info@boomerwomenspeak.com • 1-877-BOOMERZ

Boomer Women Speak cannot be held accountable for any personal relationships or meetings face-to-face that develop because of interaction with the forums. In addition, we cannot be held accountable for any information posted in Boomer Women Speak forums.

Boomer Women Speak does not represent or endorse the reliability of any information or offers in connection with advertisements,
articles or other information displayed on our site. Please do your own due diligence when viewing our information.

Privacy PolicyTerms of UseDisclaimer

Copyright 2002-2019 • Boomer Women SpeakBoomerCo Inc. • All rights reserved