The Soap lady meets the Senator
baby chicks
Angel
Quilted Christmas Stocking
Latest Quilt
Shelter from the storm
A new life
Who's Online
0 Registered (), 101 Guests and 1 Spider online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
3239 Members
63 Forums
16332 Topics
210704 Posts

Max Online: 409 @ 01/16/20 10:33 PM
Page 2 of 2 < 1 2
Topic Options
#5684 - 01/12/04 12:08 PM Re: communication
Dotsie Offline
Founder

Loc: Maryland
Do you think some of thes longer marriages have to do with commitment?

I'm concerned that too many people who marry today know divorce is an option. I don't think that was the case with our parents generation...for many reasons. Any thoughts?

#5685 - 01/12/04 01:30 PM Re: communication
smilinize Offline

Loc: outer space
Well, already knowing the divorce option, I have a whole different perspective.

I say you can be "committed" to a psych unit.

And as to "working" at marriage, I've already got a job. Don't need more work.

I refuse to take this marriage stuff too seriously. I got married for fun and romance and I'm having it. We hardly knew each other. We just walked forward in faith. Now we're falling in love inside the marriage. It grows stronger every day.

Still walking forward in faith one day at a time.

smile

#5686 - 01/13/04 03:39 AM Re: communication
DreamrKate Offline

Loc: California
Just to clear something up in case it was unclear at all... I have male FRIENDS at work, never boyfriends or anything even remotely like that. (Just in case I worded that post wrong.)
And Dots... maybe it has to do with commitment, but what I consider that to be may be completely different than someone else.
I would doubt that anyone goes into marriage thinking it's a throw-away but I know lots of people who quit way before I would have and for what I would consider lesser reasons.
I'm comitted even though there have been times that I would have loved to drag my husband twelve miles down a gravel road chained to the bumper. And I hope you all know me well enough to know I'm pretty much joking.
I made a comittment. For ME, that means doing everything to the best of my ability to be a good wife, be a help mate to my husband and do everything in my power to help him be the person he can be.
Now that may sound very old-fashioned, very non-liberated, and very self-sacrificing or martyrish - be believe me, I'm none of those things. I just know what I feel in my heart is right for me.
So... comments?

#5687 - 01/15/04 12:45 PM Re: communication
Dotsie Offline
Founder

quote:
Originally posted by DreamrKate:
I made a comittment. For ME, that means doing everything to the best of my ability to be a good wife, be a help mate to my husband and do everything in my power to help him be the person he can be.
Now that may sound very old-fashioned, very non-liberated, and very self-sacrificing or martyrish - be believe me, I'm none of those things. I just know what I feel in my heart is right for me.
So... comments?

Kate, I don't think that's old fashioned, non-liberated, self-sacrificing, or martyrish at all. It's how marriage works best as long as the guy has the same sense of responsibility.

We should try to out-do one another with goodness. [Wink]

#5688 - 01/15/04 01:46 PM Re: communication
smilinize Offline

Loc: outer space
We should try to out-do one another with goodness. [Wink] [/QB][/QUOTE]

Gee, I love that. Wouldn't this be a wonderful planet if everyone did it.

smile

#5689 - 01/16/04 12:06 PM Re: communication
Dotsie Offline
Founder

smile, that's actually a Bible verse about marriages. My last pastor opened my eyes to that passage when we were doing a study on marriage. I'll look it up and let you know where it is.

I say make the circle wider and use it for EVERYONE! [Big Grin]

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2

NABBW.com | Forum Testimonials | Newsletter Sign Up | View Our Newsletter | Advertise With Us
About the Founder | Media Room | Contact BWS
Resources for Women | Boomer Books | Recent Reads | Boomer Links | Our Voices | Home

Boomer Women Speak
9672 W US Highway 20, Galena, IL 61036 • info@boomerwomenspeak.com • 1-877-BOOMERZ

Boomer Women Speak cannot be held accountable for any personal relationships or meetings face-to-face that develop because of interaction with the forums. In addition, we cannot be held accountable for any information posted in Boomer Women Speak forums.

Boomer Women Speak does not represent or endorse the reliability of any information or offers in connection with advertisements,
articles or other information displayed on our site. Please do your own due diligence when viewing our information.

Privacy PolicyTerms of UseDisclaimer

Copyright 2002-2019 • Boomer Women SpeakBoomerCo Inc. • All rights reserved