The Soap lady meets the Senator
baby chicks
Angel
Quilted Christmas Stocking
Latest Quilt
Shelter from the storm
A new life
Who's Online
0 Registered (), 157 Guests and 1 Spider online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
3239 Members
63 Forums
16332 Topics
210704 Posts

Max Online: 409 @ 01/16/20 10:33 PM
Page 6 of 13 < 1 2 ... 4 5 6 7 8 ... 12 13 >
Topic Options
#55597 - 12/06/05 02:11 AM Re: Call a tree a tree......
Casey Offline

Loc: Aptos, California
According to the book, The Chalice and the Blade by Riane Eisler, "The time for Christmas....was chosen because this was the time of year when the ancients traditionally celebrated the winter solstice." (There are about 35 pages of footnotes in the book for those who are interested.) The tree may have many origins (check out factmonster.com), but most likely was brought into Christianity in the 8th century by St. Boniface. It's a symbol that those of us who are Christians have co-opted, and I, for one, thoroughly enjoy. So I would have to agree that, yes, the way we use it today, is as a "Christmas tree."
I believe the country was founded on a principle of freedom from government-mandated religion. Many, not all, of the people who were first here were some type of Christian denomenation. Spirituality, faith in God, etc. were all part of the early European settlers beliefs. (Although the Native Americans, who were here first, weren't Christian at that point in time.)
The point in going to a "holiday" tree or some form of what we now call "political correctness" was to acknowledge that not everyone in this country believes in some form of Christianity. I believe it was an attempt to embrace all Americans in a time of the year that almost every faith from time immemorial has acknowledged as very spiritually powerful. True, forcing the use of "holiday tree" is probably a bit overboard, but let's remember the intention.
And let's remember that for Christians, Christ's birth is a wonder and the peace and love that he brought forth on his brief time on earth is amazing.
Let's celebrate it in the lights we see on all the trees and reflected in the faces of all our fellow Americans, whatever their faith.
How important is it what we call the tree?

#55598 - 12/06/05 12:26 PM Re: Call a tree a tree......
ladybug Offline

Casey, you have great points and very interesting facts.

Right now here in the Northeast Ohio sector of the globe this very topic is being discussed in our own newspapers. It seems that we are very tired of hearing our Christmas tree called a holiday tree and the greetings Happy Holidays instead of Merry Christmas. Many of us feel what's next?

While I'm not going to get very upset about this at all, Christians everywhere do have a valid complaint.

In my own daily living my form of Christianity comes in helping others. I believe actions speak louder than words. My promise to myself is that each day of my life I must do at least one good deed for another person. I've kept that promise.
Christianity should not only be in attending mass and praying it should be in good works. Maybe far too many people have forgotten that and this is how commercial enterprises let these terms be acceptable.

[ December 06, 2005, 09:28 AM: Message edited by: ladybug ]

#55599 - 12/06/05 04:42 PM Re: Call a tree a tree......
Casey Offline

Loc: Aptos, California
Personally, I use Happy Holidays if I don't know the faith belief of the person I am speaking with. I feel it is respectful. I also hope that a non-Christian will accept Merry Christmas in the spirit in which it is meant and not be offended.
Yes, actions do speak louder than words! Thanks, Ladybug, for your help! We do need to remember, however, that words have the capability of hurting others and changing laws.
A question I have is,
"What would change about the Christmas/holiday season as it exists right now if everyone called a Christmas tree a Christmas tree rather than a holiday tree?"

#55600 - 12/06/05 05:22 PM Re: Call a tree a tree......
ladybug Offline

I agree with you Casey and would never say Merry Christmas to someone if I don't know their faith either.

Truthfully speaking, whether we call it a Christmas tree or Holiday tree, I don't think it would change anything at all.

#55601 - 12/08/05 12:23 AM Re: Call a tree a tree......
chatty lady Offline
Writer

Loc: Nevada
Well thats that that then I guess....LOL

#55602 - 12/08/05 12:53 AM Re: Call a tree a tree......
AvalonBlondi Offline

Loc: West Chester ,PA
When it comes to celebrating the Holidays I call a Christmas tree a Christmas tree and a Menorrah a Menorrah...and if people are offended when I wish them a Merry Christmas with a big smile on my face then they must really have either a major problem or too little in their lives and I take it with a grain of salt...sheesh...sometimes all of this political correctness is really over the top!!! [Smile]

#55603 - 12/08/05 01:06 AM Re: Call a tree a tree......
chatty lady Offline
Writer

Oh my yes... [Wink] [Big Grin] [Razz]

#55604 - 12/08/05 01:22 AM Re: Call a tree a tree......
yepthatsme2 Offline

Loc: Fredericksburg, Va.
Christ is the reason for the season...political correctness...I could care less about.

#55605 - 12/08/05 01:44 AM Re: Call a tree a tree......
flipperjo Offline

Loc: ND
oops! my ignorance of other religions is showing, DJ! i live in a predominantly christian area of the country so don't have contact with a lot of other religions. guess that's a good thing considering my lack of education on them...

#55606 - 12/08/05 01:50 AM Re: Call a tree a tree......
chatty lady Offline
Writer

I must be ancient but I remember when we celebrated the holidays all religions in their own way and no one was politically incorrect....oh for those good old days.

Page 6 of 13 < 1 2 ... 4 5 6 7 8 ... 12 13 >

NABBW.com | Forum Testimonials | Newsletter Sign Up | View Our Newsletter | Advertise With Us
About the Founder | Media Room | Contact BWS
Resources for Women | Boomer Books | Recent Reads | Boomer Links | Our Voices | Home

Boomer Women Speak
9672 W US Highway 20, Galena, IL 61036 • info@boomerwomenspeak.com • 1-877-BOOMERZ

Boomer Women Speak cannot be held accountable for any personal relationships or meetings face-to-face that develop because of interaction with the forums. In addition, we cannot be held accountable for any information posted in Boomer Women Speak forums.

Boomer Women Speak does not represent or endorse the reliability of any information or offers in connection with advertisements,
articles or other information displayed on our site. Please do your own due diligence when viewing our information.

Privacy PolicyTerms of UseDisclaimer

Copyright 2002-2019 • Boomer Women SpeakBoomerCo Inc. • All rights reserved