The Soap lady meets the Senator
baby chicks
Angel
Quilted Christmas Stocking
Latest Quilt
Shelter from the storm
A new life
Who's Online
0 Registered (), 137 Guests and 1 Spider online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
3239 Members
63 Forums
16332 Topics
210704 Posts

Max Online: 409 @ 01/16/20 10:33 PM
Page 7 of 13 < 1 2 ... 5 6 7 8 9 ... 12 13 >
Topic Options
#55607 - 12/08/05 02:19 AM Re: Call a tree a tree......
Searcher Offline

Loc: boise
Yeah Chatty, oh for those good old days.....You know, my great grandmother came from Germany. My other relatives came from Ireland. And each had their religious views. Yet , I was born. Interesting isn't it? It seems to me that religion is important, but maybe not so as important as the caring and concern we each can have toward one another...just my view...

Search

#55608 - 12/08/05 02:34 AM Re: Call a tree a tree......
chatty lady Offline
Writer

Loc: Nevada
If more of us viewed the world as you do my friend, it would be a kinder, gentler place.

#55609 - 12/08/05 03:14 AM Re: Call a tree a tree......
Searcher Offline

You know, Chatt,

Those are words I wish to hear. But truthfully, it has been a journey to get to my view. A long and eventful journey. But just so you know, I would not have traded it. But my view is this - there is so much that we would like to make different. Better. Each of us have something that we would like to change. I hope that I can make some difference...I know you already have.

And yes, I would hope that in my life, I CAN make some difference in the lives of others - in the spirit of a kinder, gentler place. Life is cruel, and we need gentleness.....

#55610 - 12/08/05 05:55 AM Re: Call a tree a tree......
AvalonBlondi Offline

Loc: West Chester ,PA
oh my gosh Search...you just did it again..."Life is cruel, and we need gentleness..." That makes so much sense it's ridiculous!!! You are making a difference in our lives with every post you write...keep em coming...love ya!!!!

#55611 - 12/09/05 05:36 PM Re: Call a tree a tree......
NHJackie Offline

Loc: Merrimack, NH
Beautiful words, Searcher.

The way we treat each other every day is more important than what label we attatch to religious symbols. If I can do something to brighten someone else's world or make their life easier, that's the most important present I can give myself.

#55612 - 12/09/05 05:47 PM Re: Call a tree a tree......
Searcher Offline

Thank you, Avalon and NHJackie, and Chatty. I'm happy to hear that you think I can make some sense, 'cause oftentimes I don't make much sense to myself!! Happy Christmas!!(so is that a cop-out? You know Happy Hollidays, Merry Christmas - or maybe we could say, Merry Holidays LOL)

Search

#55613 - 01/22/06 04:26 PM Re: Call a tree a tree......
NewLeaf Offline

Loc: Deland, Florida
I realize this is an old issue, but as I sit here at work reading the posts, I am saddened that we have come to this place in our country.
I recently went to a public school program that my step grandsons were in.
Forgive my ignorance, but when and where and why did Quansi enter the American scene? The kids had to incorporate Quansi, Christmas, Hannakuh, and some other holiday into their program.
Maybe its just me, but the truth stands on its own. It doesn't need me to make it even more true but if I wanted to dilute the truth or nullify or villify it, what I would do is water it down. Mix it with so many other things so as to make it appear less effective or powerless.
Christmas is to celebrate the major event when God humbled himself to be born a human, male by the way, so that he could redeem us by giving his life for us and bearing our sins because he is a holy God. That's the truth. It doesn't matter how many other events are thrown into the pot, the truth will always rise to the top, if not now, then in the end.

#55614 - 01/23/06 03:16 AM Re: Call a tree a tree......
Casey Offline

Loc: Aptos, California
America is a melting pot. We have more immigrants inflating our population than we do native births at the moment. These immigrants bring their traditions with them. Many faiths and cultures have some ceremony or belief associated with December because it contains the shortest day of the year.

As these immigrants and their traditions come to our shores and our public schools, isn't it loving to honor their traditions and truths as well?

P.S. I think it's Kwanzaa and not Quansi, but I could be wrong.

#55615 - 01/23/06 03:36 AM Re: Call a tree a tree......
smilinize Offline

Loc: outer space
It is nice to respect the traditions of other cultures, but it is not our obligation. Immigrants who come here and try to turn our country into what they left should not be here in the first place.

If we go to the homelands of others, we are expected to respect their culture over there as well. And if we expect them to respect America's culture, we will be called the "ugly American."

I'm not opposed to respecting anyone or anything, but somehow that just doesn't seem equitable.

smile

#55616 - 01/23/06 04:12 AM Re: Call a tree a tree......
flipperjo Offline

Loc: ND
i'm with you, smile. i have traveled in europe and you are right, when we go to other countries, we are expected to respect their traditions and customs. i suppose because of our tradition as a world melting pot, we are expected to accept other cultures on our shores, and i'm all for that. i do not, however, believe that respecting their traditions should include giving up our own in their favor which seems to be what we are being asked to do.

my ancestors came here TO BECOME americans, not to CHANGE america to suit themselves.

Page 7 of 13 < 1 2 ... 5 6 7 8 9 ... 12 13 >

NABBW.com | Forum Testimonials | Newsletter Sign Up | View Our Newsletter | Advertise With Us
About the Founder | Media Room | Contact BWS
Resources for Women | Boomer Books | Recent Reads | Boomer Links | Our Voices | Home

Boomer Women Speak
9672 W US Highway 20, Galena, IL 61036 • info@boomerwomenspeak.com • 1-877-BOOMERZ

Boomer Women Speak cannot be held accountable for any personal relationships or meetings face-to-face that develop because of interaction with the forums. In addition, we cannot be held accountable for any information posted in Boomer Women Speak forums.

Boomer Women Speak does not represent or endorse the reliability of any information or offers in connection with advertisements,
articles or other information displayed on our site. Please do your own due diligence when viewing our information.

Privacy PolicyTerms of UseDisclaimer

Copyright 2002-2019 • Boomer Women SpeakBoomerCo Inc. • All rights reserved