The Soap lady meets the Senator
baby chicks
Angel
Quilted Christmas Stocking
Latest Quilt
Shelter from the storm
A new life
Who's Online
0 Registered (), 171 Guests and 1 Spider online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
3239 Members
63 Forums
16332 Topics
210704 Posts

Max Online: 409 @ 01/16/20 10:33 PM
Page 4 of 13 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 ... 12 13 >
Topic Options
#55577 - 12/04/05 01:00 AM Re: Call a tree a tree......
Dotsie Offline
Founder

Loc: Maryland
Bluebird and all, have you ever read any of Joseph Girzone's books? Google him or check him out at Amazon. He believes in breaking down the walls between denominations for God's sake. God is love. Pure and simple. He simply wants us to love one another. That's why I don't want to react to all this politically correct stuff with anger and divisiveness. Keep acting in love and it might make people wonder what we are up to. Onward with love and grace during this season...and always.

#55578 - 12/04/05 01:32 AM Re: Call a tree a tree......
Bluebird Offline

Loc: Pagosa Springs, Colorado
If he is the author of Joshua, then yes, I've read one.
Did I sound angry? I didn't mean to.

#55579 - 12/04/05 02:29 PM Re: Call a tree a tree......
ladybug Offline

I've come to view many problems with morality and lack of empathy for our fellow man, cheating and greed to the fact that many people have become Godless. It's my own opinion that the Ten Commandments are good rules that anyone of any religion can follow simply because they are sensible. The Ten Commandments keep us "in check" so to speak.

Our society has simply stopped believing because it relieves some folks of the fact that their lives have become out of control.

[ December 04, 2005, 11:30 AM: Message edited by: ladybug ]

#55580 - 12/04/05 05:41 PM Re: Call a tree a tree......
flipperjo Offline

Loc: ND
i agree with you, bluebird. it does matter. our faith and our right to practice it in public is being attacked and if we don't speak up, we will soon be suppressed, just like they are in communist countries.

i have no problem with other faiths and i will not tell another person what to believe. i do, however, have just as much right to express myself as they do. i think the call for us to be tolerant has turned on us and now we are supposed to be silent.

our country was founded on christian values - that is a factual part of our history whether you embrace christianity or not. to remove christian symbols and holidays from our society is to rewrite and ignore our history.

#55581 - 12/04/05 06:20 PM Re: Call a tree a tree......
DJ Offline

Loc: Ohio
I was wondering when I'd start hearing Christians stand up and take back Christmas! I'm a Baha'i, and have to say that I've been rather alarmed about all the "holiday" talk. I also find it offensive to only use the word "holiday." What holiday does everyone suppose we're speaking of? Kwanzaa doesn't compete with Christmas at all -- it's Dec. 26-31.

As I recall from my Jewish friends when I was growing up, Hannukah was a minor holiday that was ramped up to keep Jewish kids from becoming overwhelmed in a majority Christian culture.

I always say "Merry Christmas" at Christmas to Christians.

The only problem with the season, in my opinion, is the over-commercialization.

#55582 - 12/04/05 06:38 PM Re: Call a tree a tree......
Vi Offline

Dotsie, I agree with you. It's about love, pure and simple. Do we love each other or not? Do we love those who disagree with us? Do we love those who find God in their own way, or don't believe at all? It's all about choice and respect for our fellow sojourners. We are a diverse nation with diverse beliefs. Yes, we can speak out. That's a good thing, but it's a loving thing if respect and honor are not lost in the process.

DJ, thanks for sharing your views. I just love to hear from those who believe a little differently.

No one faith has the corner on God, or love or beauty. It's open to all. Isn't that wonderful?

Vi

#55583 - 12/04/05 07:49 PM Re: Call a tree a tree......
Dianne Offline
Queen of Shoes

Loc: Arizona
Great News! Walgreens Says "Next Year Will Be Different"

Send A Polite Letter To Kmart/Sears Asking Them To Do The Same
Dear Mark,

Because of your efforts, Walgreens has released the following response: "Next year, you can be assured our advertising will better incorporate 'Christmas,' and our holiday trees will be called Christmas trees. Unfortunately, all of this year’s December ads are already printed, so it's too late to make changes for this season."

In addition, Lowe's has released a statement saying they now refer to all trees as "Christmas Trees" and have removed all signs that previously calling them "Holiday Trees."

Your actions are bringing good results! We are hearing that many retailers are re-thinking their banning Christmas. Keep up the good work!

Would you please send the enclosed polite letter to Kmart/Sears asking them to make Christmas an integral part of their promotions and advertising next year? We feel there is good reason to believe

#55584 - 12/04/05 08:00 PM Re: Call a tree a tree......
smilinize Offline

Loc: outer space
God sent love itself to earth as a baby born of woman on Christmas Eve. However, even that baby who not only represented love, but was love itself, at least on one occasion, became angry.
In fact His anger at the commercialization of the Temple may have been much like the anger we feel at the commercialization of His birth.

I believe we can be angry and not sin. And there are times when we must. When our faith is made nothing more than a side note in a major commercial campaign may be one of those times.

smile

#55585 - 12/04/05 08:01 PM Re: Call a tree a tree......
Daisygirl Offline

I just heard a guy on the news say this is happening because Pres. Bush is a Christian and is pushing Christianity down peoples' throats! Wha?!? Is he putting unbelievers in a dungeon? This is the first time I've heard Pres. Bush thrown into the fray.

The fact is, 80% of American citizens believe in God. The ones who don't are not forced into anything.

Daisygirl

#55586 - 12/04/05 08:07 PM Re: Call a tree a tree......
Daisygirl Offline

Excellent point Smile.

I just heard that Target banned Christmas being used, but Macy's is using Merry Christmas in their ads. I'm sure there will be changes next year and maybe for Easter also.

Page 4 of 13 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 ... 12 13 >

NABBW.com | Forum Testimonials | Newsletter Sign Up | View Our Newsletter | Advertise With Us
About the Founder | Media Room | Contact BWS
Resources for Women | Boomer Books | Recent Reads | Boomer Links | Our Voices | Home

Boomer Women Speak
9672 W US Highway 20, Galena, IL 61036 • info@boomerwomenspeak.com • 1-877-BOOMERZ

Boomer Women Speak cannot be held accountable for any personal relationships or meetings face-to-face that develop because of interaction with the forums. In addition, we cannot be held accountable for any information posted in Boomer Women Speak forums.

Boomer Women Speak does not represent or endorse the reliability of any information or offers in connection with advertisements,
articles or other information displayed on our site. Please do your own due diligence when viewing our information.

Privacy PolicyTerms of UseDisclaimer

Copyright 2002-2019 • Boomer Women SpeakBoomerCo Inc. • All rights reserved