The Soap lady meets the Senator
baby chicks
Angel
Quilted Christmas Stocking
Latest Quilt
Shelter from the storm
A new life
Who's Online
0 Registered (), 171 Guests and 1 Spider online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
3239 Members
63 Forums
16332 Topics
210704 Posts

Max Online: 409 @ 01/16/20 10:33 PM
Page 2 of 13 < 1 2 3 4 ... 12 13 >
Topic Options
#55557 - 12/02/05 09:06 PM Re: Call a tree a tree......
chatty lady Offline
Writer

Loc: Nevada
Strange happenings...at Lowes they only sell Holiday tree's and are very exact about their wording and yet low and behold they don't have any holiday stands to put these holiday trees into, only Christmas tree stands. Boy someone messed up there...I personally am sick and tired of the so called politically correct ass----'s trying to change everything we hold dear. Who and what made them the one's who are correct??? Did any of you take a vote? I didn't! The only way to hurt these people is in the pocketbook, don't buy anything called a Holiday anything that should have Christmas in the name. Ba-Humbug! [Mad]

#55558 - 12/02/05 09:14 PM Re: Call a tree a tree......
Dotsie Offline
Founder

Loc: Maryland
I have had it with all this politically correct crap. I read this morning that there are kids who won't stand for the Pledge of ALlegiance in school. Gag me!

Here's what I'm doing.

I have a little note on the console of my car that says:

Peace on earth.
Good will toward men.

It is my reminder to do my share of speading Christmas joy while out and about this seacon.

I am going to slap on my pin that says:

Jesus is the reason for the season

on the most visible piece of clothing as I venture out to do errands.

Then I am going to grin from ear to ear and speak with grace as I come in contact with anyone who will chat with me. Prayerfully they will wonder if Jesus is the reason for my joy.

Wearing a pin that announces the fact that I am a Christian makes me more aware of the fact that I am a walking advertisement for Jesus.

Call me corny. Call me a Jesus freak. That's fine. I'll take it as a compliment.

#55559 - 12/02/05 09:27 PM Re: Call a tree a tree......
Daisygirl Offline

Loc: Ohio
I saw a pastor on a news program who said he was encouraging his congregation to reward the stores who use Christmas in their greetings and displays. I like that idea.

I have purchased thousands of $$ at Lowes in the past few years. I wonder if Home Depot is selling Christmas trees, or Holiday trees? I guess I'll have to drive a little farther to get my hardware store fix.

Daisygirl

#55560 - 12/02/05 10:21 PM Re: Call a tree a tree......
Vi Offline

Each of us can celebrate in our own way. It's a Christmas tree even for those who aren't into that kind of thing for various reasons. There are those who aren't Christians who celebrate the giving aspect. There are those who celebrate it because of Jesus. There are those of other faiths or philosophies who do not celebrate it. It is each person's choice.

As for the pledge of allegence, the issue is not whether or not to pledge one's loyalty to this country. The issue is the "under God" part of it. Not all people believe in God. So they don't want their children to say these two words. It is a reasonable thing for them to have their wishes honored. School is for teaching secular things. Church and home are for teaching religious things. Respecting our differences is a wonderful thing, not a blight.

#55561 - 12/02/05 10:23 PM Re: Call a tree a tree......
chatty lady Offline
Writer

Loc: Nevada
The Home Depot stores here are selling Christmas trees and Christmas ornaments etc., so goodbye Lowes and hello Home depot and I need a new refrigerator after Christmas, guess who isn't getting my business...I hope their bad decision is felt by them for a looooong time.

#55562 - 12/03/05 01:27 AM Re: Call a tree a tree......
ladybug Offline

Hey, we got our tree (a real one) at Home Depot yesterday. Those cheapskates had no workers there to place the netting around it and cut it. My son and husband had to do it there themselves!

My husband said he didn't notice if they called them Christmas trees or Holiday trees.

At one time nobody ever felt wrong or guilty saying Merry Christmas but I say it to most people then feel I did say something wrong.

It's like you said, you just want to be able to keep calling our Christmas things by the names we've always called them without feeling guilty about it. I don't want to take away from anybody else's holidays either.

Let's all be free to say what we want.

Shame on chidren who won't stand to say the Pledge of Allegiance. My father, brother and husband fought to give us our freedom just as many of you have loved ones who did and are doing the same.

#55563 - 12/03/05 01:45 AM Re: Call a tree a tree......
Bluebird Offline

Loc: Pagosa Springs, Colorado
We can pay $8. for a permit to go into the National Forest and cut our own down!

#55564 - 12/03/05 01:51 AM Re: Call a tree a tree......
Bluebird Offline

Loc: Pagosa Springs, Colorado
Holiday Tree would make since if the other holidays used an evergreen as a symbol for their holiday - but they DON"T!!! It's a Christmas Tree. Someone brought up a good point about calling a menorah a holiday menorah. It's for Chanukkah! It doesn't bother ME, I won't try to hijack it. We don't say holiday dreidel. These symbols are unique to their celebrations and it is downright insulting to try to make them apply to all holidays that happen to fall in the same month.

#55565 - 12/03/05 01:55 AM Re: Call a tree a tree......
Louisa Offline

Loc: MA
That's a good one Chatty. Holdiay trees but no holiday tree stands. [Big Grin] Just goes to show how politically stupid the whole thing is. I believe everyone has the right to their own religious beliefs, but I'm sick and tired of being offended by all this crap about "not offending" anyone and taking my rights away. If people don't believe in God, that's their choice. If they don't believe in this country, then why are they here? I saw some things on this chat thing about the tree controversy that I can't believe people can get away with putting in print. It really doesn't even have to do with personal beliefs. The things they are saying are just plain hateful. It's sad that there are such hateful people in the world. People who don't even know one another using "f" words back and forth and telling each other what to believe in.

If they get away with the tree thing, what will be next? I can see when you work in a place and there are people of all religions working together and the company has a party at this time of year called a "Holiday Party." But if they put a tree up, it should be called a Christmas tree. That is what it is. If they put a menorah up, they won't call it a "holiday candle" will they? Are they going to call the star of David, the holiday star?

We need to stop this politically correct nonsense and go back to enjoying our holidays, whatever they may be. We should be able to do that and respect someone else's at the same time, not try to meld it all together and make one big happy ho ho holiday out of it.

We have beautiful Christmas trees and lights out on our deck. I wish you could see them. We live in a condo complex and there are some people who don't like it. So we put out more. Now, little by little this year, people are putting out more lights. But they did put a "tree" in the lobby. Looks like a Christmas tree to me. Go figure.

Louisa

#55566 - 12/03/05 04:06 AM Re: Call a tree a tree......
norma Offline

Loc: western canada
Apparently my ancient ancestors, who lived in far northern regions, brought evergreen boughs into their homes during the cold, dark days of winter. These ancestors were not Christian.
But to them, the evergreen tree represented everlasting life, and reminded them that spring, and rebirth would come again, just as they believed life after death also comes.

If Christians said, the shorten phrase for 'Christ's Mass' is now being used to sell too many non religious commercial products,
because it is exploitation of the name "Christ",
that i could understand. But if Christians dont mind references to 'Christmas' for whatever purpose, why should anyone else?

[ December 03, 2005, 01:10 AM: Message edited by: norma ]

Page 2 of 13 < 1 2 3 4 ... 12 13 >

NABBW.com | Forum Testimonials | Newsletter Sign Up | View Our Newsletter | Advertise With Us
About the Founder | Media Room | Contact BWS
Resources for Women | Boomer Books | Recent Reads | Boomer Links | Our Voices | Home

Boomer Women Speak
9672 W US Highway 20, Galena, IL 61036 • info@boomerwomenspeak.com • 1-877-BOOMERZ

Boomer Women Speak cannot be held accountable for any personal relationships or meetings face-to-face that develop because of interaction with the forums. In addition, we cannot be held accountable for any information posted in Boomer Women Speak forums.

Boomer Women Speak does not represent or endorse the reliability of any information or offers in connection with advertisements,
articles or other information displayed on our site. Please do your own due diligence when viewing our information.

Privacy PolicyTerms of UseDisclaimer

Copyright 2002-2019 • Boomer Women SpeakBoomerCo Inc. • All rights reserved