The Soap lady meets the Senator
baby chicks
Angel
Quilted Christmas Stocking
Latest Quilt
Shelter from the storm
A new life
Who's Online
0 Registered (), 161 Guests and 0 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
3239 Members
63 Forums
16332 Topics
210704 Posts

Max Online: 409 @ 01/16/20 10:33 PM
Page 3 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >
Topic Options
#32979 - 09/01/04 01:15 PM Re: Panic Attacks
Vicki M. Taylor Offline

Loc: Tampa, FL
I have helpful tips taped up all over the house. On bathroom windows, cupboard doors, and on the refrigerator. They're for me, and for my family to help recognize what to do when I'm in "crisis" mode.

Here are some tips when dealing with stress and you feel a panic attack approaching

1. listen to music
2. do deep breathing exercises
3. talk to a friend or family member (one who understands what you're going through)
4. watch tv or read
5. exercise such as walking, jogging, or swimming (make sure it's ok w/your doctor for you to do this)
6. take a shower or bath
7. write your thoughts in a journal
8. Get help from a therapist

Notice that they all try to get your mind focused on something else. And as a last resort, talk to your therapist. Many of them are on 24 hr call and can respond within an hour or so of your call.

Here are some good planning ahead techniques. Stress and panic can occur when you feel that you don't have enough time or feel rushed at the last minute

1. organize your time. Know ahead of time how you are planning to spend your day
2. buy thing you use often before you run out. I.E. Toothpaste, stamps, toilet paper, etc. THIS IS SOMETHING I DO AND IT'S BEEN A HUGE LIFESAVER!!
3. When going some place where you might have to wait, like a doctor's office, bring along a book or an electronic device w/headphones to listen to music

I don't spend a lot of time outside the home, (that's a whole 'nother topic) but when I do, I plan the event carefully and make sure I am armed with a book or magazine to read in case I have to wait. It really cuts down on the stress for me. This is important to me because I don't take medications for panic attacks outside the house unless my husband is with me.

[ September 01, 2004, 10:18 AM: Message edited by: Vicki M. Taylor ]

#32980 - 09/01/04 02:29 PM Re: Panic Attacks
Toni Offline

Loc: Pennsylvania
Vicki,

Thank you for the wonderful and helpful advice! I, too, will use some of these methods--especially the deep breathing exercises and writing things down in a journal. I also like the one about keeping a good supply of needed and much-used items..

The best suggestion, the one about your caring husband, helps the most. Husbands can help so much with anxiety and panic attacks!

#32981 - 09/02/04 03:08 AM Re: Panic Attacks
chatty lady Offline
Writer

Loc: Nevada
Wow, I never realized how severe and scary a panic attack can be. When I had my episode from high sugar in my blood everyone in the emergency room thought I was having a stroke and I found out later it was listed as a panic attack NOT a stroke by my doctor. I never knew what they were like. [Mad]
Dotsie,sending you an email on the almonds. [Razz]

#32982 - 09/01/04 04:39 PM Re: Panic Attacks
Dotsie Offline
Founder

Loc: Maryland
Thanks for all the help SHerri's received on this topic. The best advice often comes from women who hae experienced the same situations. Doctors can prescribe, but unless they've experienced panic attacks, they can't empathize.

Until this month my husband's doctor for his Diabetes was also a Diabetic. What a perfect match. He retired. [Frown]

Sherri, how was your first day back?

#32983 - 09/01/04 08:17 PM Re: Panic Attacks
jawjaw Offline
Da Queen

Loc: Alabama
Yes Sherri...we're all waiting to see how your day went...Talk to us gal...

JJ

#32984 - 09/02/04 12:42 AM Re: Panic Attacks
Sherri Offline

Loc: Decatur, Illinois
Hi friends,

My day sucked. I went to work and was catching up on e-mail notes and changes that had happened while I was gone when the big boss came to get me. He had a union rep with him and we were meeting with the head of human resources. The upshot of it is, I am on unpaid suspension, and will know by the end of this week (probably tomorrow) if I have lost my job.

When I called the office to let them know that the Dr would not release me till 9/1, the supv asked me if I wanted to not take the week off for vacation that I had planned. If I said no, then someone who was on the waiting list could go. I said since I was on stress rest anyway, that I would give it up for someone else. Makes sense doesn't it? My Dr and therapist has been telling me to get out of the house, do fun things, try to relax and not let things overwhelm me. I went to Vegas. Now that is their issue. I went and it was inapporopriate use of sick time. I couldn't believe it! I told them the circumstances of the tourny, that I only went down to the tournament room when it was our team shooting, I shot first and for the one and only time so there would be no feeling of stress on me and I was just with my team members while in the big room. Other times we stayed away from crowds and my husband always ran interference for me, if you know what I mean.

I of course came home a wreck and had a panic attack that took me a while to get over. I called and got into see my Dr, and called my therapist. My Dr said I could take extra meds and it is all in his records that the amount of medication I was on would not have allowed me to take emergency gas leak calls which are a routine part of my job. I am seeing my therapist tomorrow. The Dr wrote me a note to tell what the side effects of the amount of meds I was on. I am taking a copy of that, my dr visit sheet, and am writing a letter to my big boss to tell him that I was not told that as long as I was on sick leave that I couldn't go anywhere! I would have kept my vacation time.

I am a mess, depressed, thought I was prepared for the what ifs when I went back to work but wasn't.

So that's my story, if I am fired, I will need to see if their reason for firing me will disqualify me from unemployment. I am also thinking of applying for disability benefits, I hope and pray that my Dr will support me in that endeavor. I don't know what to do, I have tried leaving it in God's hands and saying what will be will be, but that doesn't seem to be working for me right now.

That's my story friends, thanks so much for your love and concern, and I knew that you all were thinking and praying for me today as I went through all of that.

Sherri

#32985 - 09/02/04 12:50 AM Re: Panic Attacks
Dotsie Offline
Founder

Hello Sherri and group. Sherri, you've recieved such great advice! Use it. It was courageous of you to even share it. I believe, in part, that I suffered so long with my own disorders because I was afraid to express these feelings believing that I'd be put away somewhere. When they became so noticibly overwhelming and I needed professional help, I learned that many suffer these same disorders that are origins of anxiety.

In my case, I was becoming completely dysfunctional. I had no idea why when my feet hit the stairs that led outside of my safe home, my heart pounded, head ached and became dizzy...I was taken to the hospital many times. Finally, the doctors recommended psych therapy. From there, I learned that my disorder had a name; agoraphobia.

At first I thought he was nuts since I could go outdoors and other places. But, that analysis of agoraphobia in wrong. People diagnosed with that can go places. They can function but on days that they have panic attacks, there probably was something that triggered the anxious feeling.

In my case, it was certain scents (olfactory triggers). Most of the scents that triggered me were associated with summer. Some very bad things happened to me and they mainly took place during the summer. I needed a therapist to unravel this.

What I'm saying is, the answer is inside of you and that great therapist you've found can help you go back to where it all began. Do those exercises the women have shared with you faithfully. Since it's the summer season, I use this trying time to concentrate on things that can be done inside. I hate that I have to miss summers like this, but, my house gets organized, I get lots of writing done and many other things.

For you, you may have always wanted to paint, or sculpture or stain glass...whatever makes you calm, use this time to feel you. You wouldn't believe the artful things that came out of me during many summers. My children, friends and family are amazed and didn't know that I could do these things. Guess what, Sherri. I didn't either until I just sat down to listen to me.

Listen to your thoughts when you take that warm soothing bath, or play that music or whichever suggest(s) you choose. Just listen though. Warning, some of it is scary when you get down to the meat of why you've been panicking. If this happens, take deeper breaths and take a break.

Wishing you much success in conquering this. You can do it too.

Sheree

#32986 - 09/02/04 12:55 AM Re: Panic Attacks
Louisa Offline

Loc: MA
Sherri, maybe you should talk to a lawyer. They may be going about firing you in ways that are not quite legal. Your health issues should not be being broadcast all over the place. That is a violation of the Health Information Protection Act. (HIPAA) I work in health care. I also see a lot of HR issues. It probably wasn't in your best interest that they knew you went to Vegas. It could and is obviously being used against you. They are causing you more stress, which in turn will cause more panic attacks. You need to overcome these panic attacks or they will take over your life entirely. Maybe just getting out of that job will help. A less stressful one perhaps? IF they fire you, you might be able to collect. That's why I say talk to a lawyer. I think you need legal advice. If you have a dr's note, you should be covered. If they know you have legal representation, they might back off.

Good luck.
Louisa

#32987 - 09/02/04 01:07 AM Re: Panic Attacks
Sherri Offline

Loc: Decatur, Illinois
Thanks for all the advice and Vicki especially for your helpful hints. I am certainly going to be using them.

I will see what happens, and I may also contact a lawyer also. It was no secret that I was going to vegas, it had been planned since May when we won the city tournament and I sold candy bars at work for fund raising for it.

I bared my soul to those people today, about all that has happened in the last three months and told them of the amount of meds that I was on and the side effects that it caused, and that I also was getting professional help for a counselor too. Right now I just can't think. I have to take a pill, (the Dr said I could take one tonight) and go to bed. Please continue to pray for me and thanks for all your love and support.

Sherri

#32988 - 09/02/04 01:09 AM Re: Panic Attacks
Dotsie Offline
Founder

Sherri, you must have been posting at the same time I was. I agree with Louisa, see a lawyer if they insist on treating your illness, which BTW, is recognize in DSM-IV Axis II Diagnosis. Where you go to heal, be it a hospital (which is far more expensive than a Vegas trip) or if you stayed at home and painted, should have no bearing on this situation. They must know that looks are decieving. What they need to look at is how they will look if they fire someone with an illness that has been diagnosed professionally and documented.

I forgot the most important of all in my last post re: this subject; Pray while you're using these relaxation techniques. Yeah, I do understand that they may not seem to be working, but, sometimes He lets us feel the heat so that we can address the issue the right way. If you'd never felt fire before, you wouldn't respect that it's so hot that it can harm you, now would you?

Sheree

Page 3 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >

NABBW.com | Forum Testimonials | Newsletter Sign Up | View Our Newsletter | Advertise With Us
About the Founder | Media Room | Contact BWS
Resources for Women | Boomer Books | Recent Reads | Boomer Links | Our Voices | Home

Boomer Women Speak
9672 W US Highway 20, Galena, IL 61036 • info@boomerwomenspeak.com • 1-877-BOOMERZ

Boomer Women Speak cannot be held accountable for any personal relationships or meetings face-to-face that develop because of interaction with the forums. In addition, we cannot be held accountable for any information posted in Boomer Women Speak forums.

Boomer Women Speak does not represent or endorse the reliability of any information or offers in connection with advertisements,
articles or other information displayed on our site. Please do your own due diligence when viewing our information.

Privacy PolicyTerms of UseDisclaimer

Copyright 2002-2019 • Boomer Women SpeakBoomerCo Inc. • All rights reserved