The Soap lady meets the Senator
baby chicks
Angel
Quilted Christmas Stocking
Latest Quilt
Shelter from the storm
A new life
Who's Online
0 Registered (), 117 Guests and 0 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
3239 Members
63 Forums
16332 Topics
210704 Posts

Max Online: 409 @ 01/16/20 10:33 PM
Page 2 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >
Topic Options
#185010 - 06/23/09 03:22 PM Re: Bras [Re: Eagle Heart]
yonuh Offline

Loc: Arizona
I went bra shopping a couple of weeks ago and still can't find anything comfortable. Macy's has a good selection, and the sales person was very nice, but very rushed as she was the only person in the dept. I'm tempted to drag out my sewing machine and try to make what I want.
http://sablewings.wordpress.com/

#185013 - 06/23/09 03:39 PM Re: Bras [Re: yonuh]
orchid Offline

Loc: British Columbia, Canada
Originally Posted By: yonuh
I'm tempted to drag out my sewing machine and try to make what I want.

For each of us, it would be serious work of art to get it right. smile

Wow, Eagle, it sounds like maybe there is a common fabric fibre in the material that covers the underwire which make your skin sensitive. Polyester maybe??

And like some of the others mentioned above, just very thin layer padding to line inside of bra is helpful or Eagle's solution. It is hard to find many bra styles with just a very thin layer of inner padding. (at least for the bra lines I look at..which means ignoring ALOT (ie. 90+%) of styles which are totally unsuited to my bust).

Geez, at 50 and still am looking at bras for...teens. This is my fate. (I actually think there are quite a number of women in our age bracket who fall in this "extreme" as well. To me it's not extreme, it's normal given my genes.) Well, whatever. I still look go into the teen section to look at fleecy jackets for a better fitted jacket/better price. crazy

Sports bras are great things but for small gals, I find them..ugly, flatten me (I don't need this.) and too much material for gals who don't need so much fabric around the straps, etc. when it's hot/for exercise.

#185044 - 06/23/09 08:38 PM Re: Bras [Re: orchid]
meredithbead Offline
The Divine Ms M

Loc: Orange County, California
I wear a brand called Fully, (their tagline: when you need a fuller bra, not a bigger one) which I used to get at Mervyns and now find at Sears. Soft cotton, no bouncy stretch, comfortable straps, no underwires or padding, under $20.

Poet and essayist

#185049 - 06/23/09 10:26 PM Re: Bras [Re: meredithbead]
Eagle Heart Offline

Loc: Canada
Thanks Meredith! I'll have to watch for that one at our Sears here.

(Maya Angelou)

#185169 - 06/25/09 12:46 PM Re: Bras [Re: Eagle Heart]
Louise_Kahle Offline

Loc: Toledo, Ohio
I have been wearing underwirer since I was in my 20s. They will dig into my ribcage if the bra doesn't fit properly and sometimes that is just tightening the straps. For me, it is difficult to find a bra that fits well in a regular dept. store. I have a friend who has been a personal shopper at one of the leading chains and she says that they are taught to sell you the closest to your size if they don't have your size. I have a very difficult size to find because I am not big around, but the girls are, shall we say, well-rounded. I finally found a great fit when I went to a store that sells bras exclusively.
Yes, a good bra is expensive and won't keep it's shape much over six months. Never wear your bra two days in a row because they need to "dry out" like shoes. Otherwise, they wear out sooner. Your bra front should be supported by the back band, but you will have to tighten the straps as time goes by because they stretch out.
Ideally, your bras should be hand washed, but who has time for that? I put them in a mesh bag and wash them in the machine in cold water. Never put them in the dryer.
Another thought - don't be so hard on girls who wear padded bras. It's often because they make us look better in our clothes.

Edited by Louise_Kahle (06/25/09 12:48 PM)
Edit Reason: Reads better

#185170 - 06/25/09 01:13 PM Re: Bras [Re: Louise_Kahle]
Di Offline

Loc: NM, transplant from NJ
For the last 10 years or so, I've gone to JCPenney's lingerie dept and have been fitted for my bras. I don't buy them often (a bit expensive for my budget which is why I want proper fit from the get go!), but when I do they are perfect!

It's a free service. I've had bras for 6 years or more. But I buy four at a time and interchange them so they don't wear out quickly. I get padded ones for tighter-fitting tops and non-padded for loose tops. So I switch the types of tops according to the bra.

JCP's service is great. Or at least they used to be!

#185404 - 06/28/09 06:13 PM Re: Bras [Re: Di]
jabber Offline

Loc: New York State
A while ago, I googled the proper way to measure a bra. And they
explain how-to with in-depth instructions and pictures, etc.
I buy four at a time, too. And just purchased some at Bon Ton's
not too long ago. Personally, I like Maidenform.

#185455 - 06/29/09 05:01 PM Re: Bras [Re: jabber]
jabber Offline

It seems to me that certain styles fit better than others. Have any of you found bigger sized, front hook, push ups are more comfortable. And back hook, underwires are better a bit smaller. What say you?

#185459 - 06/29/09 05:09 PM Re: Bras [Re: jabber]
Dotsie Offline
Founder

Loc: Maryland
I'm a Victoria Secret girl. Ever since the gal working at Coldwater Creek saw me trying on clothes and saw how saggy my boobs were, then ran me across the mall to VS to get fit properly, I buy their bras. I can't believe the difference they make. Anyone remeber that story? It was hysterical. I must have looked pathetic.

#185464 - 06/29/09 05:22 PM Re: Bras [Re: Dotsie]
jabber Offline

Thanks Dotsie, I think I'll try VS. That just never crossed my
mind! Let you know how it goes!

Page 2 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >

NABBW.com | Forum Testimonials | Newsletter Sign Up | View Our Newsletter | Advertise With Us
About the Founder | Media Room | Contact BWS
Resources for Women | Boomer Books | Recent Reads | Boomer Links | Our Voices | Home

Boomer Women Speak
9672 W US Highway 20, Galena, IL 61036 • info@boomerwomenspeak.com • 1-877-BOOMERZ

Boomer Women Speak cannot be held accountable for any personal relationships or meetings face-to-face that develop because of interaction with the forums. In addition, we cannot be held accountable for any information posted in Boomer Women Speak forums.

Boomer Women Speak does not represent or endorse the reliability of any information or offers in connection with advertisements,
articles or other information displayed on our site. Please do your own due diligence when viewing our information.

Privacy PolicyTerms of UseDisclaimer

Copyright 2002-2019 • Boomer Women SpeakBoomerCo Inc. • All rights reserved