The Soap lady meets the Senator
baby chicks
Angel
Quilted Christmas Stocking
Latest Quilt
Shelter from the storm
A new life
Who's Online
0 Registered (), 136 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
3239 Members
63 Forums
16332 Topics
210704 Posts

Max Online: 409 @ 01/16/20 10:33 PM
Page 2 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >
Topic Options
#170824 - 01/11/09 10:30 AM Re: The See Saw of legal gay marriage! [Re: celtic_flame]
celtic_flame Offline

Loc: Belfast/Northern Ireland
anyone know the arguments agenst gay marriage or will that just couse so much potencial hurt that its best left not being said?

#170844 - 01/11/09 01:07 PM Re: The See Saw of legal gay marriage! [Re: celtic_flame]
yonuh Offline

Loc: Arizona
I don't see any reason why marriage can't be between two adults who love each other, regardless of gender. Some of the arguments I have heard against gay marriage are religious, some not. Here's some of the ones I've heard:

Marriage is for the purpose of procreations, since same-gender couples can't procreate, they can't marry. (So what about those who can't have children for whatever reason? Does this mean I shouldn't get married because I'm past childbearing age?)

If we allow same gender couples to marry, then we will have to allow people to have more than one spouse, to marry children, animals, etc.

The Bible forbids it - most of the arguments come from all those lists of laws in the Penttateuch. Why pick just some of those laws to keep and not the others?

Edited by yonuh (01/11/09 01:48 PM)
http://sablewings.wordpress.com/

#170864 - 01/11/09 04:11 PM Re: The See Saw of legal gay marriage! [Re: yonuh]
chatty lady Offline
Writer

Loc: Nevada
It seems we all pretty much agree that any two consenting adults should be able to marry or not marry as is their choosing. It is no one elses business.

As far as the hospitals rules, he should have said he was his lovers brother, at a time like that whats a little white lie going to cost anyone or their kock-a-meme rules?

If it were me and I wanted in, I'd be whoever I had to be to accomplish the task, wouldn't you???

http://charleen-micheles.blogspot.com/

#170881 - 01/11/09 05:33 PM Re: The See Saw of legal gay marriage! [Re: chatty lady]
Anno Offline

Loc: Minneapolis Minnesota
I doubt, Celtic, that my dad's ancestry has much to do with my feelings about marriage. I think the 60's and bra burning is more to blame than anything. smile

http://www.multiplesystematrophyandshy-drager.blogspot.com

#170892 - 01/11/09 06:54 PM Re: The See Saw of legal gay marriage! [Re: Anno]
Mij Offline

"The United States is the only wealthy, industrialized nation that does not have a universal health care system." - Wikipedia.

This is the issue that I believe takes this beyond just a political statement amongst the gay community in the U.S. It's not a concern in Europe or Canada, but here a couple must be legally married to be able to have the right to be covered by their partner's health insurance. If a woman wants to stay home and raise the children, she has that option because she will be covered by her husband's health insurance. A gay couple does not have that option. Insurance premiums are incredibly expensive, so, without the luxury of having somebody else pay for your insurance, you must work at a company that offers health insurance, or you go without.

I think this may make it difficult for others outside of this country to comprehend. Universal healthcare (whether your country's is good or bad) is something that is taken for granted. (This is just a generalization, I know there are lots of problems in some countries). From the age of 17, I have never once considered taking a job that did not offer comprehensive healthcare (of which I always paid a portion, plus deductibles, co-pays, etc. - the coverage was never free). Now here I am, 36 years later, and since October 31st, I am one of the Americans who has no health care of any kind. None. Zippo.

A gay person here could have a job that provides insurance coverage, while his/her partner could quit their job to be a stay-at-home parent, an artist, a writer, any job that doesn't provide insurance. But that partner would not be able to be covered by the other's health insurance. Married people in this country have that option, and have taken advantage of it for as long as the option has existed. That option is denied to gay couples until the laws are changed.

I think it's really sad.

#170895 - 01/11/09 07:06 PM Re: The See Saw of legal gay marriage! [Re: Mij]
chatty lady Offline
Writer

Loc: Nevada
This is a sincere question to anyone that has knowledge of Universal health Care. I have none!

Under Universal Health Care doesn't it mean that every man, woman and child has insurance no matter if single, married, gay, straight, natural children or fosters and adoptees, but every human being... That is my understanding to date but I admit never having investigated this issue. I would like to know however. I have medicare and private insurance as well so am okay now but for years working for myself had none at all. I also wonder if this Universal system goes through if we seniors would have to trade it for our medicare which is extraordinary insurance.

http://charleen-micheles.blogspot.com/

#170896 - 01/11/09 07:12 PM Re: The See Saw of legal gay marriage! [Re: Mij]
celtic_flame Offline

Originally Posted By: Mij
"The United States is the only wealthy, industrialized nation that does not have a universal health care system." - Wikipedia.

This is the issue that I believe takes this beyond just a political statement amongst the gay community in the U.S. It's not a concern in Europe or Canada, but here a couple must be legally married to be able to have the right to be covered by their partner's health insurance.

i forogtten all avbout that issue. its a big issue for americans i am sure.

great point to pick up on and what a worrie for those without insureanse.

i sorry you find yourself without any.

#170898 - 01/11/09 07:18 PM Re: The See Saw of legal gay marriage! [Re: chatty lady]
celtic_flame Offline

Originally Posted By: chatty lady
This is a sincere question to anyone that has knowledge of Universal health Care. I have none!

Under Universal Health Care doesn't it mean that every man, woman and child has insurance no matter if single, married, gay, straight, natural children or fosters and adoptees, but every human being...

i do't know if your talking of universal health care as a spacifik term for something in usa or about models from uk and other european countries.

heers a poted version of how it works.

doctors and hospitals are paid for by government. So a doctore appontment is free for anyone, if yourking you pay a small amount for every perscription. If nt working the perscriptions are free. If pregnant doctores, perscription, dentist and eye care are free.

a bit out of taxes are used to pay for all thse services, its well worth it as no one dose without. This creatres waiting lists etc. So some have opted for private medical insuransre to vcover costs so to line jump or cue jump and have op quicker.

but no one is left sick with no acess to doctors, hospitals and medicane. Apart from slaging of the healthcare system i just blessed its their in any shape or form and ovverall its quite effective

#170899 - 01/11/09 07:18 PM Re: The See Saw of legal gay marriage! [Re: celtic_flame]
yonuh Offline

Loc: Arizona
I have been lucky in that I've always had decent health insurance. However, my partner has none because he's always worked for himself and private coverage is too expensive. When he did have coverage, he was dropped because he complained about a doctor who wanted to do back surgery when the problem was with his feet! My employer isn't one of those who cover domestic partners, so he has to rely on the public health care that has a sliding scale for treatment when he needs care he can't pay for himself. I don't understand why so many people are against universal health coverage, unless they're afraid it will cause them to lose some of their benefits or will cost them more. I think it's a great idea. Some of the ideas being tossed around include a system similar to Medicare or like the one our Congresspersons and Senators have. I hope our new president can come up with something that covers everybody!!

Edited by yonuh (01/11/09 07:18 PM)
http://sablewings.wordpress.com/

#170900 - 01/11/09 07:19 PM Re: The See Saw of legal gay marriage! [Re: chatty lady]
Lola Offline

Loc: London UK
Originally Posted By: chatty lady

Under Universal Health Care doesn't it mean that every man, woman and child has insurance no matter if single, married, gay, straight, natural children or fosters and adoptees, but every human being... That is my understanding to date but I admit never having investigated this issue. I would like to know however. I have medicare and private insurance as well so am okay now but for years working for myself had none at all. I also wonder if this Universal system goes through if we seniors would have to trade it for our medicare which is extraordinary insurance.

Chat, universal health care in the UK is free from cradle to grave. It is based on need not capacity to pay.

Page 2 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >

NABBW.com | Forum Testimonials | Newsletter Sign Up | View Our Newsletter | Advertise With Us
About the Founder | Media Room | Contact BWS
Resources for Women | Boomer Books | Recent Reads | Boomer Links | Our Voices | Home

Boomer Women Speak
9672 W US Highway 20, Galena, IL 61036 • info@boomerwomenspeak.com • 1-877-BOOMERZ

Boomer Women Speak cannot be held accountable for any personal relationships or meetings face-to-face that develop because of interaction with the forums. In addition, we cannot be held accountable for any information posted in Boomer Women Speak forums.

Boomer Women Speak does not represent or endorse the reliability of any information or offers in connection with advertisements,
articles or other information displayed on our site. Please do your own due diligence when viewing our information.

Privacy PolicyTerms of UseDisclaimer

Copyright 2002-2019 • Boomer Women SpeakBoomerCo Inc. • All rights reserved