The Soap lady meets the Senator
baby chicks
Angel
Quilted Christmas Stocking
Latest Quilt
Shelter from the storm
A new life
Who's Online
0 Registered (), 118 Guests and 1 Spider online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
3239 Members
63 Forums
16332 Topics
210704 Posts

Max Online: 409 @ 01/16/20 10:33 PM
Page 20 of 28 < 1 2 ... 18 19 20 21 22 ... 27 28 >
Topic Options
#169949 - 01/03/09 10:18 PM Re: Racism Sucks... [Re: orchid]
DJ Offline

Loc: Ohio
I heard this story on NPR today, but the way it was presented on the radio, it wasn't clear that these passengers were Muslim. What I heard was that a big family got on and were talking about where their seats were, near the bathrooms, not over the wings and that passengers who overheard thought the comments were odd.

Anyway, I'm pretty angry about airport so-called security measures. Does it really help anything or anyone? I think it's all busy work. And in all these years, I've never heard anything other than "orange threat level" which is next to the top.

As far as Chatty's reference to 911, what I understood her to mean was that sometimes when faced by an outside attack, people group together. In fact, much racial and ethnic identification initiates and becomes reinforced this way -- a attack from the outside strengthens what the victims, in this case, have in common. Sometimes the only bond is that some other group is against them. If that external threat is removed, there's not much cohesion left.

#170023 - 01/04/09 01:50 PM Re: Racism Sucks... [Re: DJ]
dancer9 Offline

Loc: Arizona
Seek,
From the beginning of this discussion, I have not understood why you feel that one is safer walking through a poor white neighborhood than a poor black neighborhood! I simply don't find that to be true and I make it my business to go everywhere.

I don't think it is any sager to be around poor "good ol' boys," than it is to be around a group of Hispanics, or blacks, etc...

Why do you feel that is so? Is it your experience?

Violence is not a race, nor a color. It is an act committed by any race, any group, and splinter group is a possible violent group.

If we disenfranchise any group or person, we run the danger of violence, whether it is the child at school that feels left out or the blacks who feel profiles and held back.

Chatty so easily posted enough violent white criminals for us to show us that some crime is almost a "white," crime.

Do you live in an area that has made you feel unsafe near a certain poor racial group?

Dancer

"Question your privilege"

#170033 - 01/04/09 04:25 PM Re: Racism Sucks... [Re: dancer9]
DJ Offline

Loc: Ohio
If I may chime in -- I have traveled a lot, here and abroad, in cities and in rural areas, and even once upon a time used to hitch hike.

I was the victim of violent crime twice -- both times in Vermont, in a rather suburban area and in the country. My car was torched (country) and my house was shot up --missing my head by a few seconds and a few inches (suburb). Two separate and unrelated incidents. The second one was racially motivated as I am a white person and was associating with black people. The black people in my company believed it to have been the KKK. We all fled for our lives.

Edited by DJ (01/04/09 04:26 PM)

#170034 - 01/04/09 05:30 PM Re: Racism Sucks... [Re: DJ]
seek Offline

Loc: mother earth
dancer: not sure where you got the idea i think it is safer to walk through a poor white neighborhood than a poor black neighborhood. i never said that.

i must not be writing clearly. you have misunderstood several things i have written. it does bother me to be misunderstood because i try to go out of my way to explain things.

i was simply talking about an idea that urban ghetto areas might be more dangerous than poor rural areas. i think i said in my scenario that both areas would have "people of color" - i did not say one had white people in them. please do not misquote me or mischaracterize what i am saying.
be well,
and all manner
of thing
shall be well.

dame julian of norwich - 14th century - mystic

#170116 - 01/05/09 05:18 PM Re: Racism Sucks... [Re: ]
seek Offline

whoa. you faced down four guns and lived to tell about it? would you care to elaborate?
be well,
and all manner
of thing
shall be well.

#170129 - 01/05/09 06:43 PM Re: Racism Sucks... [Re: seek]
dancer9 Offline

Loc: Arizona
I'm exhausted from working in the E.R. today.
But spare me small towns.

It was in a small town where three civil rights workers were killed years ago and the town filled with the KKK.

(I say again, I have worked against the KKK, I know how they operate.)

It was a small town in Wyoming where a young gay may was beaten and hung on a fence to die slowly and suffer unimaginably.

It was in a small town that years ago a church that was most black was burnt to the ground by whites, killing people, killing children.

These small enclaves of white small communities are becoming obsolete, thank God.

Let us remember the small towns and their biases.

And Orchid is right. People check the names of who lives in a neighborhood to avoid moving into a mixed race one. They also keep people out by refusing to sell/rent, to races other than "white."

My city was small when I was a girl and the KKK had rallies at our local Safeway parking lot. It was a nice neighborhood too.

Shame.

Dancer

"Question your privilege"

#170133 - 01/05/09 06:55 PM Re: Racism Sucks... [Re: dancer9]
chatty lady Offline
Writer

Loc: Nevada
Blaming or insinuating all crimes, or the majority of crime is committed by poor blacks is like saying all dog attacks committed are by ferocious pit bulls....DAH! That is sooooo NOT the case... and I will match my expertise on this subject with anyones...Haven't we beat this racism dead horse enough yet???

http://charleen-micheles.blogspot.com/

#170153 - 01/05/09 10:40 PM Re: Racism Sucks... [Re: chatty lady]
seek Offline

i don't understand how things get so twisted. nowhere did i ever say or insinuate the majority of crimes are committed by blacks. but i do think it is very interesting that this keeps being asserted. and just for the record, i do not believe that and never have.

i was trying to make a point about perceptions in ghettos and poor rural areas (never said "small towns," either).

i guess it is the nature of the beast that people read into things what they want to read into them.

anyway, this subject will never be done until racism is not an issue anymore.

i don't know if anyone has taken the opportunity to explore their own prejudices as a result of this thread, but if they have, then that is awesome and if not, it has just been an exercise in futility.

i have learned a few things from reading the posts of others and have given more thought to what i have written and to the group dynamics.
be well,
and all manner
of thing
shall be well.

#170155 - 01/06/09 12:29 AM Re: Racism in America [Re: dancer9]
orchid Offline

Loc: British Columbia, Canada
don't worry and don't get frustrated, seek. No doubt all of us who posted must have learned a wee bit about each other and the subject. Including dancer.

I'd say there was serious learning here even with our entangled. communication

Remember seek, you are among friends. None of us who posted or regulars are angry enough to beat each other up.

#170161 - 01/06/09 03:40 AM Re: Racism in America [Re: orchid]
Edelweiss3 Offline

Loc: American living in Germany
Now this is something really off base, but I always found it interesting that I was attracted to men with darker complexions. ( I met my husband when he had a really dark tan, - ooo la la, and that with blue eyes.) Blond and very white men never turned me on, - so to speak. Weird,…I can't explain it,…but I guess I was racist. Hahaha. Although I have a light complexion, and am a bleached blond. I wonder why that is?

I think Obama is truly sexy. Did you all see his shirtless body pictures?

I think everyone does have a type they favour. It can't be really explained why, - just as racism can't always be explained why, other than some obvious reasons, like how one was raised.

Page 20 of 28 < 1 2 ... 18 19 20 21 22 ... 27 28 >

NABBW.com | Forum Testimonials | Newsletter Sign Up | View Our Newsletter | Advertise With Us
About the Founder | Media Room | Contact BWS
Resources for Women | Boomer Books | Recent Reads | Boomer Links | Our Voices | Home

Boomer Women Speak
9672 W US Highway 20, Galena, IL 61036 • info@boomerwomenspeak.com • 1-877-BOOMERZ

Boomer Women Speak cannot be held accountable for any personal relationships or meetings face-to-face that develop because of interaction with the forums. In addition, we cannot be held accountable for any information posted in Boomer Women Speak forums.

Boomer Women Speak does not represent or endorse the reliability of any information or offers in connection with advertisements,
articles or other information displayed on our site. Please do your own due diligence when viewing our information.

Privacy PolicyTerms of UseDisclaimer

Copyright 2002-2019 • Boomer Women SpeakBoomerCo Inc. • All rights reserved