The Soap lady meets the Senator
baby chicks
Angel
Quilted Christmas Stocking
Latest Quilt
Shelter from the storm
A new life
Who's Online
0 Registered (), 157 Guests and 1 Spider online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
3239 Members
63 Forums
16332 Topics
210704 Posts

Max Online: 409 @ 01/16/20 10:33 PM
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#166875 - 12/02/08 06:37 PM Christmas Stockings
chatty lady Offline
Writer

Loc: Nevada
When we were kids I do believe that the gifts not withstanding, it was the stocking I looked forward to the most. My mother would look all year for little trinkets to fill them with, and we kids were always thrilled with what we found.

I did the exact same thing for my two sons. Of course the stocking had grown larger by then, and the gifts too and more expensive but they really looked forward to them as we did.

Somewhere along the way that seems to have died out, but I remember it fondly.

Is there any particular Christmas memory you'd like to share??

http://charleen-micheles.blogspot.com/

#166880 - 12/02/08 07:37 PM Re: Christmas Stockings [Re: chatty lady]
Eagle Heart Offline

Loc: Canada
I LOVED the stockings on Christmas morning! That was and will always be my very favourite memory of Christmases past.

We still do stockings for each other...they're an integral part of our Christmas. Now there are only three of us, but we pulled names out of a hat in October and are now busy shopping around to find interesting fun stuff to stuff each other's stockings. It's a lot of fun.

It was also Gary's very favourite part of Christmas - whoever drew his name always had to make sure to put a few toys in his stocking - even at 42, he still loved to play. I think one of his favourites in recent year was the pig-flinging gun-thing I put in his stocking. I'm still amazed that we didn't lose any of those little piggies down the heat vents!

(Maya Angelou)

#166900 - 12/03/08 08:35 AM Re: Christmas Stockings [Re: Eagle Heart]
chickadee Offline

Loc: Alabama
Living in Newfoundland meant fresh fruits were scarce. Christmas morning the bottom of my stocking held the most delicious 5 point apple,the juciest navel orage and purple seeded grapes...my eyes are watering as this precious memory is brought back into my mind.
Dotsie,I want to remind you how your site has affected me. It's a place that has brought many teary eyed moments like the ones I feel now. Tears of gratefulness and joy. A place where I can share "me" with others who understand. Something as simple as sharing a story of my christmas stocking as a child....at 7:30 in the morning alone in my home.
You are a blessing to this Boomer Woman.

#166933 - 12/03/08 04:02 PM Re: Christmas Stockings [Re: chickadee]
chatty lady Offline
Writer

Chick it makes my heart sing to have started such a happy memory thread. It was always one of my fondest memories as well.

#166936 - 12/03/08 04:25 PM Re: Christmas Stockings [Re: chatty lady]
chickadee Offline

Yes Chatty, Thank You for starting this thread. I am so happy to have met you in Vegas. This is truly a wonderful site.

#166945 - 12/03/08 07:14 PM Re: Christmas Stockings [Re: chickadee]
chatty lady Offline
Writer

I keep waiting to hear that you're coming back for the poker championships played here for millions of dollars. I will definitely come and watch you play!

#166953 - 12/04/08 04:27 AM Re: Christmas Stockings [Re: chatty lady]
Edelweiss3 Offline

Loc: American living in Germany
I'm so grateful that my mother kept the German traditions alive, although we lived in America.

I think I experienced that magical childhood feeling on Dec. 6th, Nicholas Day. Children put their slippers out in front of their bedroom door and in the morning found their shoes stuffed and spilling over with red apples, tangerines, walnuts, chocolate, and what was never missing, - a branch from a pine tree.

I thought it was so grownup to have my own fruit bowl in my room, and just take a fruit whenever I wanted to.

That time reminds me of fairies and magic wands and being in awe of life. When I read how overwhelmed you felt, Chick, I immediately thought of Nicholas Day, and could almost smell the scent of the freshly cut pine twig. Thanks Chatty for bringing this beautiful memory back. Here is a photograph of my granddaughter's Nicholas Morning last year.

#166974 - 12/04/08 10:04 AM Re: Christmas Stockings [Re: Edelweiss3]
Dotsie Offline
Founder

Loc: Maryland
chatty, great thread. Thanks for beginning this.

Chick,thanks for the kind words. I can't tell you how much I appreciate them. It's nice to hear something positive about the forum community that I so dearly love and pour my heart into, as many of you do.

EW, thanks for the photo. It's only two days away. Are you prepared? Do you and hubby do this for one another? And pardon my ignorance, but please share what the pine branch means. I'm sure I'll say, "Oh yeah. That's right. But right now, nothing's coming to mind.

We always had stocking too. In the toe, there were ALWAYS tangerines and nuts. I still put these in my kid's stocking.

I just sent an email to the kids yesterday, asking them for stocking stuffer ideas. How fun that I should come across this post today.

Ross and I always did stockings and exchanged gifts. Last year, we stopped everything for one another. I have to tell you that I didn't miss it at all. We exchange nice cards and that's it. We'll also do a couple nice dates this season, which I totally enjoy. We're going to see Kenny Rogers, and another night, we'll see Amy Grant in concert. I love their Christmas music and look forward to snuggling up to Ross in the theater while listening to some of our favorite tunes.

#166975 - 12/04/08 10:04 AM Re: Christmas Stockings [Re: Edelweiss3]
chickadee Offline

I remember a day being called Nicholas Day too but can't remember much else about it. Nice tradition and the pic is lovely.
EW I want to PM you but I can't and I'm sorry. Email maybe but I don't want you to post it here because of scams etc. Soon when the site allows me, I will.

#166997 - 12/04/08 01:58 PM Re: Christmas Stockings [Re: chickadee]
Edelweiss3 Offline

Loc: American living in Germany
Chick, you could email JJ, and she could give you my address.

No, Dotsie, Hubby and I don't do that...besides his shoes would make apples taste like cheese..lol....
I told "A"'s Mom about the German tradition, and that the children usually talk about it in KIndergarden. I hope she will do it for her daughter, so that "A" won't feel left out. If anything I'm sure my son will do something. As for the pine branch...it's that Chrismassy pine smell, that I always combined with Santa or Nikolaus. I thought they smelled like that. hah

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

NABBW.com | Forum Testimonials | Newsletter Sign Up | View Our Newsletter | Advertise With Us
About the Founder | Media Room | Contact BWS
Resources for Women | Boomer Books | Recent Reads | Boomer Links | Our Voices | Home

Boomer Women Speak
9672 W US Highway 20, Galena, IL 61036 • info@boomerwomenspeak.com • 1-877-BOOMERZ

Boomer Women Speak cannot be held accountable for any personal relationships or meetings face-to-face that develop because of interaction with the forums. In addition, we cannot be held accountable for any information posted in Boomer Women Speak forums.

Boomer Women Speak does not represent or endorse the reliability of any information or offers in connection with advertisements,
articles or other information displayed on our site. Please do your own due diligence when viewing our information.

Privacy PolicyTerms of UseDisclaimer

Copyright 2002-2019 • Boomer Women SpeakBoomerCo Inc. • All rights reserved