The Soap lady meets the Senator
baby chicks
Angel
Quilted Christmas Stocking
Latest Quilt
Shelter from the storm
A new life
Who's Online
0 Registered (), 169 Guests and 1 Spider online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
3239 Members
63 Forums
16332 Topics
210704 Posts

Max Online: 409 @ 01/16/20 10:33 PM
Page 2 of 2 < 1 2
Topic Options
#159252 - 09/09/08 02:37 AM Re: Job-Share - What's the big deal! [Re: ShipMate]
gims Offline

Loc: USA
I worked in the accounting field for over 25 years. I don't know if I would have been able to share my work.
Several cons come to mind:
*Having to rely on another to do their part.
*Being held accountable (even if only partially) for a shared project or duty.
*If something went wrong, possibly being the party to have to find and fix it.
*Meeting the deadlines... in accounting end of month, quarter and year wouldn't always fall on the same slot of sharing. One may have a close for one month, another for the next.... then pulling financial reports, recapping, checking/rechecking, then turning in for review by CFO. And Escheat reportings - uckkk... I just know I'd be slotted for those!!! I can imagine a million scenarios where things could really go wrong. OK, so all that rant was from my past experiences... but, the job would have to be one that was team oriented, or of a nature that the work shared could be transferred flawlessly.
*Benefits, as JJ mentioned.... option to go full time... seniority probably wouldn't exist... forget the parking space... would you have to come in for safety meetings if they weren't on your slotted day?... how about company luncheons and parties, would you come in for those?... how about respect - would you be given respect as a full timer vs. a part timer?... Would you be considered if a 'sweet' position came open and you were interested?
*Job security - that might be the first position(s) to be cut, if adjustments had to made to staff.
*Even though men have been job-sharing for years (they go play golf while those like us are left to work), I think if women did more of it a tear would result in the progress women have made thus far. I can imagine several comments/jokes/attitudes that would be born. It would definitely need to be across the board - men and women, both - to prevent a back peddling on women's behalf. The argument might be made that job sharing by women gives credence to the idea that moms should stay home.

I guess it all comes down to why you are working and what you expect to give and get.

#159253 - 09/09/08 02:48 AM Re: Job-Share - What's the big deal! [Re: gims]
ShipMate Offline

Loc: Vancouver, Canada
Hi gims,
All your points are exactly right...I think there are more cons than pros at least at this point in time. And finance is one of those things, if things aren't right it's hard to prove who did what.

I used to love my job but I found since Enron, the accounting rules are the dumbest thing ever. It has come down to about 75% paper pushing with some accounting thrown in, and to top it all off, they've shortened the reporting time-lines. I am constantly fighting with the auditors who have a short fuse at the best of times because they are working 100+ hours a week and are trying to cover their "assets" at all costs. It just isn't the same anymore. I actually really hate it--not a good way to feel about work every day.

I've decided not to do it (the job-sharing)...I am going to take a step back, re-group and see how I feel in a couple of months.

Do you still work in the field? I have worked mainly for public mining or bio-tech companies...always fast-paced and hectic. We'd raise a lot of money, spend a lot of money, run out of money and then start over. An interesting ride but at my age...I'm thinking "do I care?...NOT REALLY".

Thanks for your thoughts.
SM

"Cosmetics is a boon to every woman, but a girl's best friend is still a near-sighted man." Yoko Ono

#159262 - 09/09/08 03:06 AM Re: Job-Share - What's the big deal! [Re: ShipMate]
gims Offline

Loc: USA
I've only worked for three companies... I'm a long termer.
I worked for a company that owned and operated hospitals, internationally... they sold out and I got laid off because I didn't want to relocate.
Then I worked for DuPont. They closed the division I worked in, because of too many government regulations, I think. Again, I got laid off... didn't want to transfer to another city that time, either.
Then I worked for my husband and his partner.
I pretty much ruled my roost in all three... I was good at streamlining and meeting deadlines, then helping others. I even helped 'outside' auditors one year.
Because I throw myself so entirely into my 'jobs,' my DH doesn't want me to work. So, going on ten years, I have been babysitter for my seven grands (who are finally all in school), caregiver for sick parents, cohort to an aunt who had a stroke and another aunt who needs someone to talk to, support for my DH who works at home, support for our girls when they have problems (I feel I have done more mothering since they've been married than all the years they lived with us), and so on.

I love pushing a pencil and I love working with numbers. There's something so exact about it... no half-truths...
BUT... at the same time, I have a creative side. Now that I've divorced my family (parents and siblings) and my grands are in school, I will start filling the void that's been in me for years upon years... I just need to get more mentally stable first, so I can think clearer.

I hope you find something you really like love!!!

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2

NABBW.com | Forum Testimonials | Newsletter Sign Up | View Our Newsletter | Advertise With Us
About the Founder | Media Room | Contact BWS
Resources for Women | Boomer Books | Recent Reads | Boomer Links | Our Voices | Home

Boomer Women Speak
9672 W US Highway 20, Galena, IL 61036 • info@boomerwomenspeak.com • 1-877-BOOMERZ

Boomer Women Speak cannot be held accountable for any personal relationships or meetings face-to-face that develop because of interaction with the forums. In addition, we cannot be held accountable for any information posted in Boomer Women Speak forums.

Boomer Women Speak does not represent or endorse the reliability of any information or offers in connection with advertisements,
articles or other information displayed on our site. Please do your own due diligence when viewing our information.

Privacy PolicyTerms of UseDisclaimer

Copyright 2002-2019 • Boomer Women SpeakBoomerCo Inc. • All rights reserved