The Soap lady meets the Senator
baby chicks
Angel
Quilted Christmas Stocking
Latest Quilt
Shelter from the storm
A new life
Who's Online
0 Registered (), 149 Guests and 1 Spider online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
3239 Members
63 Forums
16332 Topics
210704 Posts

Max Online: 409 @ 01/16/20 10:33 PM
Page 5 of 6 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 >
Topic Options
#148740 - 05/31/08 05:43 PM Re: Violent youth [Re: Edelweiss]
humlan Offline

Loc: Sweden
I went to Regis College in Weston, Mass. I spent alot of time at Harvard Square, Cambridge. It was kind of meeting place for college kids from all over the Boston area. Were you there at all?

I can´t believe this, EW! There was a German Restaurant on the corner there in Harvard Square...Wursthaus, I think it was called. Did you ever go there? I was there alot..they had very good sloe gin fizzes! And how about the Charles River on a summer nite? Ever been there? Or the open house concert thing..a shell...on the water, if I remember correctly?

This is fun, EW!!!!

#148741 - 05/31/08 05:50 PM Re: Violent youth [Re: NYWoman]
humlan Offline

NYwoman..I don´t have a solution as such..but what about just BELIEVING in the youth of today? Sure there are some "violent youth" that get into the news or that you may notice because of the way they act..but most of the kids of today are normal kids..like we were..trying to make their way in a complicated adult world. Don´t you think? And maybe if we just believe them..they just might live up to our belief in them...

just a thought..

PS. Don´t you remember the "older generation" of our time, calling us wild,violent and disrespectful?? Well, ladies..we are now the "older generation"..Ok, I AM anyway..I am 60..so I am an old bitty now..but I don´t want to make the same statements that were once made about me and my friends..

Edited by humlan (05/31/08 05:55 PM)

#148742 - 05/31/08 06:12 PM Re: Violent youth [Re: humlan]
orchid Offline

Loc: British Columbia, Canada
Quote:

NYwoman..I don´t have a solution as such..but what about just BELIEVING in the youth of today? Sure there are some "violent youth" that get into the news or that you may notice because of the way they act..but most of the kids of today are normal kids..like we were..trying to make their way in a complicated adult world. Don´t you think? And maybe if we just believe them..they just might live up to our belief in them...

just a thought..

Ultimately methinks there's alot truth in what you said, hunlan. I think part of the problem some kids or young people require huge amounts of time and patience from folks like us in our generation ...for them to turnaround better.

For isntance, yesterday a bunch of factory workers ..boarded bus after I finished work. They were grossly loud, kept swearing ...I remember this crowd because one of the guys threatened me on the bus after I spoke up for him dissing turbaned, East Indian driver.

And these guys are obnoxiouss enough, with anger management problems that bus drivers allow them to got on for free. They don't want potential hassles.

There is the lone woman that hangs out with them. I've noticed now she physically has changed from 6 months ago. From shy looking, to agressive, slovenly looking...and packing on 15 lbs. more.. She's probably drinking alot more...so desperate and insecure to keep hanging onto her factory, after-work drinking crowd of angry guy friends.

Yesterday, about 50% of other passengers, were non-white. They keep their mouths shut when this obnoxious, angry group boards the bus. By the way, this angry and potentially violent group is white. And on the surface, the term "white trash" fits too well.

I'm sorry to shock...but really my location of job has exposed me ....for first time in a few decades, a whole other element of society --regularily.

STrange as this may seem, as a quiet middle-aged woman wearing cycling stuff, on a bus, probably is just SO alien to them, they don't know what to say.

#148743 - 05/31/08 06:53 PM Re: Violent youth [Re: orchid]
humlan Offline

Hello Orchid..I also work in a very "toughand underpriveldged area" outside of Stockholm. I work with the youth themselves..and only can say that when you get to know them personally..one on one..they are different and quite wonderful.They are a challenge to work with specifically due to different ways of seeing things. As a group..where all are strangers to me..they are scarey..but I know that they ARE individuals..each one of them. And each one of them with their own story and background. Most of this youth is "multicultural" and muslims.

I respect and hear what you feel..and as I wrote before..I have no solution. All I can do..and perhaps all any of us can do..is TRY to have respect for one another as fellow human beings and perhaps, if one can, to believe that they are doing what they see as being in their power.. which I, for one, believe that they are.

#148744 - 05/31/08 08:34 PM Re: Violent youth [Re: humlan]
orchid Offline

Loc: British Columbia, Canada
Suffice to say that violence in youth and low-income do not necessarily equate.

All it takes is abandoning a child to his/her own devices and if they lack self-discipline...

#148745 - 06/01/08 03:31 PM Re: Violent youth
writegirl1949 Offline

Loc: Arizona
I read all the postings here yesterday and wanted to respond but hesitated, wondering what you all would think of my response.

Dotsie, you ask what's the difference between the 60s and now, as far as our youth go. There's one difference no one has brought up. My faith and beliefs lead me to one answer. We took God and the Bible out of the schools.

I don't want to debate theology or religious beliefs here but that's really the BIGGEST difference I can see.

Blessings, Francine

#148746 - 06/01/08 04:03 PM Re: Violent youth [Re: writegirl1949]
Edelweiss Offline

Loc: American living in Europe
Humlun, I think I know which restaurant. Wasn't it called the glass house or glass garden or something like that? They had great pastries there too. I hung out alot at Harvard Square. I used to go to a coffee shop with my father and we would play chess together. Charles River? I loved it. I lived right next to it for a while when I shared an apartment with four other girls. There were good times...but I'm realistic;...sometimes there were hard times too.

Francine, that is an excellent point. We all sang the national anthem, and afterwards, for many years we would pray out loud. I remember when from one day to the next; … we would just bow our heads in silent prayer. That’s when some new law must have been passed. It was the beginning of the end.

#148747 - 06/01/08 06:25 PM Re: Violent youth [Re: Edelweiss]
writegirl1949 Offline

Loc: Arizona
Thanks, Edelweiss. It's nice to know someone else feels the same.

And if you don't mind my asking, where are you in Europe. We came back two years ago ... were there for three years in Heidelberg, Germany and I miss it so much.

Blessings, Francine

#148748 - 06/01/08 06:43 PM Re: Violent youth [Re: writegirl1949]
jabber Offline

Loc: New York State
Where are the positive role models? Now that's good question! Been wondering that for years.

#148749 - 06/02/08 01:39 AM Re: Violent youth [Re: jabber]
Edelweiss Offline

Loc: American living in Europe
Francine, I live in Germany between Augsburg and Muenich.
Heidelberg is a beautiful city. Were you living on the military base there? I don't think Germany has any American military bases left. Too bad. I used to have alot of friends in the military. My husband is German, and I met him while skiing. So I have nothing to do officially with the American military.

Page 5 of 6 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 >

NABBW.com | Forum Testimonials | Newsletter Sign Up | View Our Newsletter | Advertise With Us
About the Founder | Media Room | Contact BWS
Resources for Women | Boomer Books | Recent Reads | Boomer Links | Our Voices | Home

Boomer Women Speak
9672 W US Highway 20, Galena, IL 61036 • info@boomerwomenspeak.com • 1-877-BOOMERZ

Boomer Women Speak cannot be held accountable for any personal relationships or meetings face-to-face that develop because of interaction with the forums. In addition, we cannot be held accountable for any information posted in Boomer Women Speak forums.

Boomer Women Speak does not represent or endorse the reliability of any information or offers in connection with advertisements,
articles or other information displayed on our site. Please do your own due diligence when viewing our information.

Privacy PolicyTerms of UseDisclaimer

Copyright 2002-2019 • Boomer Women SpeakBoomerCo Inc. • All rights reserved