The Soap lady meets the Senator
baby chicks
Angel
Quilted Christmas Stocking
Latest Quilt
Shelter from the storm
A new life
Who's Online
0 Registered (), 149 Guests and 1 Spider online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
3239 Members
63 Forums
16332 Topics
210704 Posts

Max Online: 409 @ 01/16/20 10:33 PM
Page 4 of 6 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 >
Topic Options
#148730 - 05/24/08 04:24 PM Re: Violent youth [Re: DJ]
orchid Offline

Loc: British Columbia, Canada
Quote:

All this is to say that youth look at the world and feel helpless. We're supposed to be a democracy, but they see a world where their voice doesn't count. They've been marketed to and used all their lives. Their creativity and rebellion is packaged and sold back to them. You should all watch the PBS Merchants of Cool -- you can see it online.

Well, true since when were children in frontier pioneer days, serious consumer marketing targets?

With the Internet, I do think there is abit of breakdown in mass media monopolies. But now we have a far more serious problem...Internet is just information overload and magnifying problems of dis-information or misinformation.

I'm saying this now, as librarian where in our profession, we care and work alot on information literacy and properly informed citizens.

Even with good, responsible and well-educated kids, next generation, from the perspective of a librarian, one sees alot of "glossing" over information, quick hits to information fast, without thinking hard and probing more deeply.

And so by extrapolation, it's not hard for kids with lower literacy levels and less attention span, to lose patience..and find quick solution their way, turn to violence/crudity/coarseness and alot of dumbing down.

#148731 - 05/24/08 06:01 PM Re: Violent youth [Re: orchid]
DJ Offline

Loc: Ohio
The internet is free and open -- for now. However, "net neutrality" is under threat by some bills currently being considered in Congress.

#148732 - 05/25/08 06:15 PM Re: Violent youth [Re: DJ]
Saundra Offline

Loc: Daytona Beach, Florida
I think you all make good points. How about these:

1. Our legislature backs big business (kickbacks, etc.), outsourcing our jobs and leaving us hopeless.
2. The price of gas rises daily and oil companies report unspeakable profits. this is not about supply and demand.
3. Predators have always existed and thrived.
4. Enlarged and engorged businesses, media and the Internet make money on sex and violence because sex and violence have always been and always will be money makers.
5. Violence infiltrates our daily lives with TV, music, reports on wars and it is tolerated in schools, in the workplace and in homes.
6. America is not a true democracy. Peaceful protestors have been arrested under Bush's orders.
7. We are lied to daily by big business and government to control us and make us subservient, going against everything that we fought for and believed in during the 50s & 60s.
8. The death penalty has been turned over so many times I can't remember because our criminals have more rights than victims.
9. Every time is new law is introduced we lose another right.
10. Prohibition didn't work and drugs (which include sex, violence, and human slavery/trade) are the biggest businesses in Mexico and America.
11. There are more pedophoiles and predators than ever because the population exploded and we have the Internet to support them.

I could go on and on, but I'm tired and my back hurts. I really miss Bob Dylan, who has a Masters in economics and used it in his poetry.
www.gotteethguide.com for your Free Tips

#148733 - 05/28/08 02:42 PM Re: Violent youth [Re: DJ]
humlan Offline

Loc: Sweden
DJ..I don´t think that the internet is free and open..consider Google and it´s POWER!!! They can and do promote any site that they want to and that gives the most profit. They control almost all info on the net..and they are one very very very large business concern. I have seen some tv programs from England and the States about Google..and it´s terribly terribly scarey. They have a monopol at this time..on INFORMATION!!!! The NET is in no way free..not anymore..not since Google.

And the youth of today..that have been born with a computer in their hands, so to speak..are much more aware of the net and it´s workings than any of us oldies, but goodies are. And believe me..it is very very very scarey!!!

PS I asked my 18yr old son, who is a math and computer major, about our free net..and he answered..has it every been (free)?

Violence in the 60´s and 70´s..I still can´t help it..what about the Vietnam War??? We lost so many young men to a war that we didn´t really believe in..so many. I still remember being in my college cafeteria..seeing my friend drop her food tray on the floor as she got the news that her fiance had been blown up in smithereens by a land mine..and she was only one of many that got such news in those years..

Edited by humlan (05/28/08 03:00 PM)

#148734 - 05/28/08 03:05 PM Re: Violent youth [Re: Edelweiss]
humlan Offline

Loc: Sweden
My dear dear EW..that´s your great strength..to be able to tiptoe thru fields of radiation and still smell the flowers! If everyone was like me..we´d be doomed from the start! There´s so much hope as long as YOU are here with us!

YES..we must have grown up very close then..I lived in a small town called, Belmont! Do you know it?? What fun!!! And now we are both in Europe..awesome!

#148735 - 05/29/08 02:20 AM Re: Violent youth [Re: humlan]
Edelweiss Offline

Loc: American living in Europe
Belmont is right near Arlington! It's a beautiful little town.
Who knows, maybe we once saw each other at those hippie demonstrations. Too cool.
I went to Mt. Ida College and then North Eastern in Boston. I spent alot of time at the Boston University campus too, since my boyfriend studied there. Those were the days when he had to sneak me into his dorm room. hahaha

#148736 - 05/29/08 06:58 PM Re: Violent youth [Re: Edelweiss]
gims Offline

Loc: USA
Would that not be a gas if you two found out you did cross paths?

#148737 - 05/30/08 05:53 PM Re: Violent youth
NYWoman Offline

Loc: California
The problem has been discussed, now what is the solution?

I would like to see one stay-at-home parent. DH and I made the choice for him to stay home with our DS because I earned more money. I think it's so very important for a child to receive guidance from their parents and not their peers.

Also, I believe the sense of community has disappeared. Do people even know who their neighbors are? We wave at each other, but that seems to be all we do.

It's truly sad.

#148738 - 05/30/08 10:52 PM Re: Violent youth [Re: NYWoman]
chatty lady Offline
Writer

Loc: Nevada
AMEN NYWoman... One of my neighbors is suing his next door neighbor stating that he is a nuisance...The guy being sued came over to my house, right actross the street to ask me to be a witness for him. Thats the first time in over 10 years he's walked across the street to speak to me. He waves hello. In my parents day we would have been constant visitors with each other and the rest of the block. Not anymore! It is also too darn bad one parent can't afford to stay home and raise the kids, now they seem to have to raise themselves and one another. Kind of like the blind leading the blind...

http://charleen-micheles.blogspot.com/

#148739 - 05/31/08 05:18 PM Re: Violent youth [Re: chatty lady]
yonuh Offline

Loc: Arizona
Where are the positive role models for kids today? I don't think there are any. We see public figures arrested for drugs, theft, violence. What does that say to kids? Where are the public figures who take responsibility for their actions? It's not my fault or I didn't do it seem to be the mantras. Public figures don't apologize for bad behavior, until they're caught and threatened with jail time, and them the apology isn't heartfelt. I am so disgusted with people who won't admit they made a mistake. When kids see this in the news all the time, why should they take responsibility for their actions?
http://sablewings.wordpress.com/

Page 4 of 6 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 >

NABBW.com | Forum Testimonials | Newsletter Sign Up | View Our Newsletter | Advertise With Us
About the Founder | Media Room | Contact BWS
Resources for Women | Boomer Books | Recent Reads | Boomer Links | Our Voices | Home

Boomer Women Speak
9672 W US Highway 20, Galena, IL 61036 • info@boomerwomenspeak.com • 1-877-BOOMERZ

Boomer Women Speak cannot be held accountable for any personal relationships or meetings face-to-face that develop because of interaction with the forums. In addition, we cannot be held accountable for any information posted in Boomer Women Speak forums.

Boomer Women Speak does not represent or endorse the reliability of any information or offers in connection with advertisements,
articles or other information displayed on our site. Please do your own due diligence when viewing our information.

Privacy PolicyTerms of UseDisclaimer

Copyright 2002-2019 • Boomer Women SpeakBoomerCo Inc. • All rights reserved